Best Buy Geek Squad Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 11, 2017

2.6

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Best Buy (Little Rock, AR) in September 2017.

Interview

Standard corporation retail style interview, interviewer poorly trained; I lead the interview. People walked into room time and time again, even if with a note on the door. Overall the most unprofessional interview I have ever been to. Be careful to not know more then interviewer as that will keep you from getting the job, as interviewer is afraid you could replace them.

Interview Questions

• What was a time when you showed outstanding customer service?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Best Buy

Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Best Buy (Allentown, PA).

Interview

Just asked a few questions regarding technology, trends within the industry, and wanted to see my adeptness with technology. Could I sell a product or recommend a product to a customer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Best Buy (New Brunswick, NJ) in June 2017.

Interview

It was generic walk in with about 9 other people wait for my turn to in answer questions about experience my portfolio and the ask about follow up and leave

Interview Questions

• What is your previous experience with the technology field   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Best Buy (San Diego, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied on their website then did the online assessment which took about 15 minutes to do. Someone called me the same day and set up the interview. Interview was with one of the managers and most questions asked were straight forward and mostly related to customer service. After the interview, I got an offer the next day.

Geek Squad Interview

Interview

scenario based questions. Its typically easy going. Its a retail job so theyre just look to see if you know about electronics and good with people. They hire almost everyone especially during the holidays.

Geek Squad Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview

You fill out an application and questionnaire than, you wait for a follow up call which usually, occurs in 1 to 2 days. A manager will call you to schedule an interview. I found the whole process to be tedious, since, it was very difficult to get in touch with a manager to schedule an interview. Finally, when you get an interview with a manager, instead of the manager your supposed to meet with, someone else greets you and interviews with you. They also try to do the bait and switch tactic with you, so they can offer you a lower position. Keep on your toes with these managers. Furthermore, basic, generic interview questions are used, that doesn't really allow anyone to get to know each other. My interviewer was very creepy, the person took me to a secluded room in the back and kept asking personal questions, that had nothing to do with the hiring process. Additionally, the person did not seem qualified for the role, was interviewing with, he would ask me questions and I would answer them with my technical knowledge and he would stare at me in confusion, as if he didn't know, what was I was talking about, even though the interviewer claimed there was training for the position. I wouldn't bring any equipment for repair there. Honestly, after this creepy interview, I knew I wouldn't want to work with them, if they hire people like this, than they are not looking for quality. Afterwards, I was told that someone will get in touch. Unfortunately, they take too much time to get back to you and they offer a hourly wage, very below your value. I ended up turning them down for a better offer. I don't recommend this company to anyone, it's a waste of time. They are not looking for quality people, instead they want to find the cheapest person they can get for their open position. I ad the technical experience, but it seemed to be too much experience for the position. In addition, please take note to look around the store and see if employees are happy working there; fortunately, I did notice that the employees looked miserable and the store was dead, which also made my decision easier for this company, since I wanted an experience where I could learn and develop my skills, but the employees were sitting around or falling asleep, which doesn't seem like the ideal place to grow and develop your skills.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain to a nontechnical person what a cookie is?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Best Buy (Bloomington, MN) in January 2016.

Interview

I Applied online, and I filled out a multi-part questionnaire. I Had a mini-phone interview. Then i had an In-person interview at Best Buy's corporate office. I got a tour of their office and it was very sleek. I wish I would have gotten the job.

Interview Questions

• How have you gotten a user to understand a fix you have done on their computer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altoona, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Best Buy (Altoona, PA) in April 2012.

Interview

I currently work for Best Buy as a salesman in the computers department. I applied for a Geek Squad position that I am extremely overqualified for. They did not ask a single question pertaining to my knowledge in the IT field. Every question that was asked was extremely open ended and dry. The positions in the Altoona Best Buy go by how much the managers like you, not how qualified you are for the job or how much you know.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Best Buy (Raleigh, NC) in February 2012.

Interview

I was actually offered the interview over the phone. I scheduled a day and time that worked best for me and them to meet with the Geek Squad department manager. The day of the interview consisted of me walking in and sitting for about 15 minutes in the home theater department waiting to be interviewed. The guy who interviewed me was laid back and very chill and just asked a few questions regarding my previous work experience, what I am currently doing, working on a team, and etc. Pretty much the questions were common sense and sell yourself. After that he asked told me they do not generally start people off with Geek Squad, instead, you have to work your way up. He told me to come back in within two days to for a second interview with the general manager. The general manager was generally nice but just seemed like a typical jerk right off the bat when he started asking me basic questions pertaining to my schedule and my current job. He did like what I had to say about myself during the interview when it came to questions like customer service.

Interview Questions

• If you caught an employee stealing from the company, how should the company deal with the employee?   1 Answer

Instead of offering me the Geek Squad job I applied for and instead of offering me the job in the electronics department like I hoped as a second option, he offered me an stocking inventory position. That was definitely not what I had in mind.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Best Buy (San Antonio, TX) in June 2010.

Interview

I went in for an interview at 10 am and had to wait for almost twenty minutes after my scheduled time for the interviewer to arrive. She claimed that traffic had prevented her from being on time. She asked me 5 questions, none of which had anything to do with the job, and then had me write down answers on a printed off interview questionaire for her so she didn't have to write it down herself. She excused herself while I was writing, and when I finished, she came back, took the papers, and said they would call by the end of the week if I were hired. I never heard from them.

Interview Questions

• describe a time when you had a difficult time with a customer. what did you do? what was the end result?   Answer Question
    • How would you describe your strengths/weaknesses?   1 Answer