Big 5 Manager Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Big 5 Manager Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Jun 21, 2017

1.9

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Big 5 (Reno, NV) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied with big 5 in august before applying I went in and introduced myself to the store manager. I applied that night and received a phone call two days later. Interviewed and was offered a position.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Big 5

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Big 5 (Bellevue, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

Overall the interview was not really difficult. There are some many situation questions that you need to carefully answer. Moreover, the company is very forward to customer-oriented so they require a lot of customer service skills. Good luck guys.

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big 5 (Colorado Springs, CO) in May 2016.

Interview

They call you in like they need you, because they have undoubtedly just fired someone. They dont really care what you have to say, they will hire you because they need a warm body to blame for the fault of their store. I know because I eventually ended up hiring people in the same fashion.. Hourly employees dont get hours, and Managers DO ALL THE WORK.

Interview Questions

• Sports, all sports.. They dont ask you questions that pertain to the job.   1 Answer

Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Big 5.

Interview

Walked in and asked to speak with the Store Manager. He interviewed me and then had me go through a second interview a couple of days later with the District Supervisor where he ended up hiring me.

Interview Questions

• What is your previous work experience?
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      What kind of sporting good knowledge do you have?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big 5 (San Diego, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Online Application. Store Manager Interview. Regional Manager Interview.... I find it very important to always go in person and physically hand the GM your resume. I did this and was asked to fill out the Online Application. The next day I went back in with a 2nd resume and The GM proceeded to have a quick interview which went sucessfull. I was then Scheduled to meet his boss and from there was hired:) Smile! Be honest and positive!.

Anonymous Employee in Yakima, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Big 5 (Yakima, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

You will get interviewed by two people. The General Manager, and the Supervisor of that district. Sometimes it is two separate interviews due to scheduling.

Be warned, the HR for this company is very lazy. You have to PROVE every single place you have worked for to them yourself. Avoid putting anything more then 5 years of your previous job titles on there, and make sure you have stuff handy for that.

They will also ask for proof of diplomas as well.

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Big 5 (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

Easy and simple questions. Its not very hard, just answer the question truthfully. Say that you love all sports. The overall experience of the interview was good. I really only talked about sports for the whole interview

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Big 5   1 Answer

Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Big 5.

Interview

Very, very basic interview. An assistant manager called me a few weeks after I applied online to set up an interview. The interview was held in the store's very small office while sitting on old computer chairs.The manager basically read my resume back to me and asked me how each of my previous jobs and education would help with situations at Big 5.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time where you turned something negative into a positive?   Answer Question

Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Big 5 in August 2015.

Interview

Dress formal and be on time. Go in ask for the manager and wait until they call you in. Greet will a firm handshake and talk about basic questions. Talk about your strength and weakness. Why do you want to work here. Are you able to work with the job's description duties. What time are you available to work.

Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Big 5 (Walnut Creek, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online for manager trainee positions in both Washington and California, while living in Washington (I needed a job in WA, but wanted to relocate back to CA). I got a call a couple weeks later from a manager in Walnut Creek, CA. She said she really liked my resume and the phone conversation went well, so I felt it was fine to take a leap and drive 760 miles for this interview. I had a good feeling about it so I went for it. After the interview the manager said she would get back to me 3-4 days later. Instead I got a call a few hours after the interview to let me know I got the position. After that I had to pick up an I-9 and employee handbook from the store I'd be working at, fill out some other forms online, and wait another week or so after the background check was finished so I could get notified of my start date.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths?
      What are your weaknesses?
      Why do you want to work for Big 5?
      How would you handle tough situations?
      If there was multiple tasks to complete and you were under pressure, how would you handle it?
      What would you do differently than other candidates if you got hired?
      What does customer service mean to you?
      Answer Question