Big 5 Sporting Goods Cashier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 30, 2017

1.7

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied and the next day, I got a call from the manager wanting to set up an appointment for the day after. Brief, not a lot of questions asked. Seemed like a lot of people quit and they were desperate for anyone. Few questions asked- mostly about availability, outdoor activities. Nothing major.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Big 5 Sporting Goods

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Portland, OR) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process was pretty relaxed and casual (within reason). They made it as painless as possible to interview and apply. The issues are mostly from their online applications (it can be buggy) and the amount of paperwork they need for a background check.

Interview Questions

• Do you have prior work experience?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Alameda, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

the interview process was super simple! all the manager asked was my availability and when i would be able to start. i think they were in need of workers because this one of the most straight foward interviews ive ever had. i was hired on the spot and accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• how many hours a week are you looking to work?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Bakersfield, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview was a more 'get to know you' approach. The questions were mostly about myself and what I did prior to working there. I was hired on the spot and not asked any hard thought out questions. The interview seemed like just a screening to make sure I was a decent person who was able to work with people and hold a professional manner. There was not much to the interview but questions for the hiring manager to get to know me and my schedule.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to work for this company? What is your availability?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Manager was open to working with my schedule as a student.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online, got a call about two weeks later to come in for an interview. Very friendly manager. Asked about my work experience, sports experience and if I'd be able to handle the job. Knew I didn't get the job when he mentioned they were still interviewing other candidates. Nice guy, though.

Interview Questions

• Would you be able to work in an environment that requires a lot of multi-tasking?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in East Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (East Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

They only asked a few basic questions. It was pretty simple, but you still need to prepare for it ahead of time. Review questions from the internet and dress nicely for the interview. They will also not hire you if you have a weird haircut or hair color.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The manager called and gave me a phone interview, then told me to come to an in person interview the next day. The interview was easy and the manager made me feel comfortable by giving me information about himself and how he started as a part timer. After a couple questions, I got hired on the spot!

Anonymous Employee in Woodland, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Woodland, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

You are asked about job experience, what sports you like or if you are involved in any, and asked to take a simple math test (adding, subtracting, multiplying, division).

Dress nicely, act confidently, speak with purpose and smile.

Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Petaluma, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

I had to take a math test and the interview was very short. The math test was only about 5 minutes and very simple. I also had to be 18 years old and do a background check because the store sells firearms.

Anonymous Employee in Chino, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Chino, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

Big 5 allows for walk-in inquiries for employment. Typically they have signs in front that boldly says "Now Hiring." I came in the evening when the general manager at the time was there and he was very friendly and asked about my background. Within the week I was interviewed by another manager and head cashier. They asked questions in regard to my background and experience with sales. I received a phone call by the end of the week offering employment. The interview was a bit intimidating but overall satisfactory of the company's mission and expectations. There's a lot of paperwork to fill out but typical for a franchise business.

Interview Questions

• Knowledge of what I would sell along side certain sports merchandise. For example, an entire list of what I would sell to someone buying baseball gloves.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't get the opportunity to negotiate but it was a part-time gig and minimum wage is the norm.