Big Lots Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Big Lots Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jan 31, 2017

1.7

Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Big Lots (Modesto, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Smooth Interview I got hired on the spot! The store hiring manager interviewed me he was very laid back and friendly I didn't feel nervous at all. Simple questions asked

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Big Lots

Anonymous Employee in Ashland, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Big Lots (Ashland, MA) in August 2014.

Interview

With the current economy, they're flooded with job applicants. Try to make yourself seem relaxed, like someone they wouldn't mind working with every day in the soul crushing tedium of retail, yet also professional enough that they're assured you can do the simple tasks assigned to you without goofing off.

Interview Questions

• If you could have a super power, what would it be?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Big Lots in June 2014.

Interview

Had one interview with the associate manager and although I was nervous, I was surprised to find the process to be very laid back and the questions focused more on me and my back ground. A lot of the questions focus on you and how you tend to work, your previous work history, and basically about your life and what you hope to working with the company.

Interview Questions

• Where do you think your biggest improvements are?   1 Answer

Negotiation

If you don't have a lot of sales experience to bring to the company, you will not be able to negotiate what you will make an hour. Expects to start at minimum wage, which is ok because there are always advancement opportunities.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Big Lots.

Interview

Guy complained about his job, proceeded to complain about and insult his current staff

Interview Questions

• "You're not afraid of mice or squirrels, are you?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Newburgh, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big Lots (Newburgh, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

The manager called me to come in about a week after i applied on paper. I spoke to the assistant manager before I was called and introduced myself. The manager called me to come in and asked me basic questions on work ethic and availability.

Interview Questions

• Do you have open availability?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Moses Lake, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big Lots (Moses Lake, WA) in April 2013.

Interview

Met the manger when I dropped off my app on a Friday. I Got called for a interview on Monday. The interview was good there were two mangers there asking questions normal ones nothing a person with a brain couldn't answer lol. I got offer the job on Friday not sure if I am going to take it yet the hours are 4am/9am. I think I might talk to the manager about if anything with different hours is open .

Interview Questions

• Nothing that wouldn't be asked in a interview. It was pretty laid back and both mangers seemed really nice.   Answer Question

Negotiation

9.16 a hour minimum wage

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Big Lots in January 2013.

Interview

This was a new big lots opening in my area so I dropped off an application and they gave me an interview time. I went back and had my first interview. The first person I interviewed was so impressed with me he wanted me to do a second interview. While waiting for my second interview I heard a woman get offered a job during her second interview. After she came out I stepped into the room and had my second interview. The two people in the room after told me they were not hiring people yet but would give me a call. I still haven't received a call back and quite frankly I think if you don't think someone is a fit for your company don't lie and say we aren't hiring yet but we will start calling people hiring soon, just say we don't think you are the right person for the job.

Anonymous Employee in Virgin, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Big Lots (Virgin, UT) in June 2012.

Interview

Applied in person, turned in few days later, took days later for them to call back on my application status, so i called them. Then had me come in for a short interview; one on one talked with manager, and hired the next day and started to do paperwork and then you're set.

Interview Questions

• general easy questions. "have you worked at a retail before?" Work experience, tell me about yourself, etcetc.   Answer Question

Sale Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big Lots (Omaha, NE) in November 2011.

Interview

Very laid back process, nothing overly difficult and quizzical. More or less made up there mind before I went in for the interview.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was where do you see yourself in 5 years   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not very negotiable when hiring sales associates

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Big Lots (San Antonio, TX) in August 2011.

Interview

The interview process was a 2-step procedure. First you are interviewed by the assistant team leader (manager) then called back for a 2nd and final interview with the store team leader (manager). The interview duration lasts anywhere from 15 mins to an hour and you are immediately are of whether or not you are hired by the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked in retail before?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Please specifiy what shifts and days you are able to work. Also be aware of the fulltime or part-time position you are applying for as well as working under a set number of hours per work (40 for part time and 30 for part time)