Big Lots Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 16, 2017

1.6

18 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Big Lots.

Interview

I called the store and asked if they were hiring. The manager said yes. So I filled out an application and was called in for an interview. The interview was very short and consisted of the manager asking me about my job experience very briefly and then spending the rest of the interview trying to sell me on the job by bragging about the furniture department and putting down my previous job. There was a background check but no drug test. The whole process from applying to starting my first day was about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Did you know that Big Lots is one of the top retailers of Serta mattresses?   Answer Question
  • Are you aware that our store makes over a million dollars a year in furniture alone?   Answer Question
  • What did you do at your previous jobs?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Big Lots

Anonymous Employee in Redding, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big Lots (Redding, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview was very pleasant. I had 2 interviews. On the second one I was offered the position. I was sent an email to do a back round check later that day. The only thing they could improve on so far is there back round system. It kept saying was entering the incorrect info.

Anonymous Employee in Webster Groves, St. Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big Lots (Webster Groves, St. Louis, MO) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online, received a call 2-3 days later for an interview. A family emergency came up, so I tried to reschedule. After 2 weeks, the hiring manager recontacted me and asked if I was still interested (Guess they still needed ppl) . The Interview it self took less than 20mins, I was hired!

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a rude or non compliant customer?   1 Answer
    • Describe your last retail job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Big Lots (Modesto, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Smooth Interview I got hired on the spot! The store hiring manager interviewed me he was very laid back and friendly I didn't feel nervous at all. Simple questions asked

Anonymous Employee in Ashland, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Big Lots (Ashland, MA) in August 2014.

Interview

With the current economy, they're flooded with job applicants. Try to make yourself seem relaxed, like someone they wouldn't mind working with every day in the soul crushing tedium of retail, yet also professional enough that they're assured you can do the simple tasks assigned to you without goofing off.

Interview Questions

• If you could have a super power, what would it be?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Big Lots in June 2014.

Interview

Had one interview with the associate manager and although I was nervous, I was surprised to find the process to be very laid back and the questions focused more on me and my back ground. A lot of the questions focus on you and how you tend to work, your previous work history, and basically about your life and what you hope to working with the company.

Interview Questions

• Where do you think your biggest improvements are?   1 Answer

Negotiation

If you don't have a lot of sales experience to bring to the company, you will not be able to negotiate what you will make an hour. Expects to start at minimum wage, which is ok because there are always advancement opportunities.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Big Lots.

Interview

Guy complained about his job, proceeded to complain about and insult his current staff

Interview Questions

• "You're not afraid of mice or squirrels, are you?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Newburgh, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big Lots (Newburgh, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

The manager called me to come in about a week after i applied on paper. I spoke to the assistant manager before I was called and introduced myself. The manager called me to come in and asked me basic questions on work ethic and availability.

Interview Questions

• Do you have open availability?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Big Lots (Riverside, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

I was shopping and asked the cashier/ manager if they are hiring. He asked if I could work that very night and told me to come in and fill out my application. So technically I was paid as i applied.

Anonymous Employee in Moses Lake, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big Lots (Moses Lake, WA) in April 2013.

Interview

Met the manger when I dropped off my app on a Friday. I Got called for a interview on Monday. The interview was good there were two mangers there asking questions normal ones nothing a person with a brain couldn't answer lol. I got offer the job on Friday not sure if I am going to take it yet the hours are 4am/9am. I think I might talk to the manager about if anything with different hours is open .

Interview Questions

• Nothing that wouldn't be asked in a interview. It was pretty laid back and both mangers seemed really nice.   Answer Question

Negotiation

9.16 a hour minimum wage