Big Lots Store Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Big Lots Store Associate Interview Questions

Updated May 18, 2017

1.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big Lots (Lakewood, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Was strange to say the least, in my opinion anyways. Not uncomfortable at all, was interviewed by two managers. The beginning of the conversation was the two of them asking ME what I "wanted to know". I don't think that either one of the gentlemen actually ASKED me a question. I did all of the asking- so much so that I was running out of ideas of things to ask them! They just kept saying, " so, what else do you want to know?" and "any other questions you have for us?". I received confirmation right at the interview that I would be chosen to be hired and was told that I would receive an email within a day to authorize the background check and told that after that they would call me with an offer. They were very nice, very informative and seemed to genuinely like their jobs. The only down side to this so far is the fact that they have been having some sort of "technical issues" with the links they are sending out for the background checks. I've had to fill out the same online form 4 times now and still no word on if they've gotten the info I'm sending or not. So far this means no offer has been made yet because we can't seem to move past the background check link hang up. It has been a full week now since I've had the interview.

Interview Questions

• What is your availability?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Big Lots

Anonymous Employee in Trexlertown, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Big Lots (Trexlertown, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

My interview was fast and easy. I went in, answered about 10 questions and I was in the next part. I went home clicked "yes" for the background check and bam I was hired.

Store Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Big Lots.

Interview

Basically if you can breathe you can get the job--no real interview process. I could not believe how lame this process was. They obviously are short staffed and after working they you can see why

Anonymous Employee in Barre, VT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Big Lots (Barre, VT) in November 2015.

Interview

The manager described the job to me and told me everything I would have to do and answered any questions I had. He then asked if I wanted the job, and I said "yes." Basically, he didn't ask me any questions, he just handed me the job. It was literally the easiest interview I ever had.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Big Lots (Austin, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

I went into the store, in hindsight slightly overdressed, as sat in the furniture department after telling an associate why I was here and who I was waiting for. After a brief period of time, the Manager on Duty who had contacted me about my application greeted me and we sat at one of the table sets on display. It was a rather quick interview, can you carry x amount of weight, are you good at assembling furniture, are you good with people, previous experience, preferred and available hours, etc. All I needed to provide was a copy of my social and some form of identification, in my case, my Driver's License.

After that and I was given the A-Okay, I sat at the back register and went through several brief how-to's, took a few tests, was given my uniform/shirt and name tag and I was good.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how I'd prefer being treated as a customer in a store, such as Big Lots.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Big Lots (Novi, MI) in October 2015.

Interview

The interviewer was about 30 minutes late. She mostly just looked over my resume and asked me what kind of training I had. She seemed to notice I was shy, but she was okay with it. She told me that there previously was someone who was quiet working there. It was pretty laid back.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how to use a cash register?   1 Answer

Store Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Big Lots.

Interview

They got back to me pretty quickly, and set up and interview, they asked the basic questions about working with people, did i like working hard, had a second interview which went well got offered the job then they trained me they where a little unorganized but all in all it was what i expected

Store Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big Lots.

Interview

basic interview questions, nothing very hard. I was interviewed by the assistant manager and offered the job on the spot which was very unexpected. I feel like they were just in need of any real help they could receive. The questions were more or less pertained to the customer experience and how to make it as best as possible. The only real out of the norm question was pertained to returns and being able to handle telling someone no, if i thought they were trying to ste4al from the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Big Lots (Saint Petersburg, FL) in May 2014.

Interview

Walked in one day and saw they were hiring. Asked for an application and returned the next day. Spoke with the store manager who set up a formal interview for the following day. The interview consisted of the typical questions such as experience, why you want to work there, etc. At the end of the interview, was told I would receive an email within the next few days for a background check consent. About three days later, got called to discuss results and possible employment.

Interview Questions

• It was all pretty standard. There were no questions that were unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Pay starts at $8. Part-time employees get no more than 24 hours a week. Benefits offered after a ear of service.

Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big Lots (Tacoma, WA) in January 2014.

Interview

Very easy, also very quick and pleasant. Nothing unexpected. Very Basic questions. Easy knowledge. Not forced or rushed. Very calm and informal. Basically got a job offer on the spot. After wards you have to do paperwork and submit a background check. After the background check there is more paperwork, a drug free workplace agreement but no actual drug test (which they should do in my opinion)