Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

3 interview rounds, multiple types of managers, not very organized, expected no offer based on availability and then was pleasantly surprised a month later, need more touchpoints to see how this experience would be great for an MBA

Interview Questions

• Passions? Connectivity to Gates? Previous Work Experiences, Situational/Behavioral Questions   Answer Question

Operations Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Hired on after being a temp for a few months. The organization decided I was the best fit for the position after months of periodic extension via a temp agency. So, the natural thing was to hire me, considering I'd done the job very well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

Applied for a role in their investments area. Had around 6 interviews that day. Everyone was fairly friendly. Mix of single and 2:1 interviews and almost all behavioral questions. Fairly quick communication in the whole process.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Interview

It was a one and one interview with the HR manager. She was very nice. The question was pretty behavioral questions. Why do you want to join? What is your career plan? She also asked about the community involvement and volunteer work.

IT Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in July 2011.

Interview

Applied directly on the Gates Foundation website. One week later I received an email from HR to schedule a phone interview with a senior HR person. All my interactions with the Gates Foundation during the interview process, was professional friendly and helpful, even when telling you you didn't make the cut they were friendly. The only issues I had I was the waiting 6 weeks to find out I didn't make the cut to move on the next level.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in March 2010.

Interview

The initial phone contact was positive and cheerful. The recruiter asked a set of questions related to my experience and background. There was no discussion of salary or organizational structure. She discussed the culture and my desire to work for a non-profit. I did find out the CIO was new. I made it to in-person interviews. I wasn't really impressed with the technical skill of the panel. The questions were junior. One of the senior interviewers asked me a technical question which I answered correctly. He told me I was wrong and gave me an incorrect explanation.

The manager of the group did not leave me feeling confident. He was rigid and acted kind of suspicious and threatened when I inquired about basic operational functions.

I am OK with not receiving an offer. The professional background of the people on the team is very limited and it showed in the interview. I was not surprised given the feedback from a buddy who is a tech support guy for a product they own.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the Gates Foundation?   1 Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

Following submission of a CV, there were several interview cycles over four months. There was a long list which presumably was filtered down at each stage. Initially interviews took place on phone. Later on there were one to one interviews with a number of officers.

Interview Questions

• What is your motivation for applying for this position?   1 Answer

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Response

Aug 24, 2016 – Head of Talent Acquisition and Talent Management

Thanks for your post.

Senior Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in November 2012.

Interview

Applied online August 2012. Received first phone call 3 months later from hr recruiter for first screen. She spent the precious interview time to discourage me to pursue the process since I mentioned I had another opportunity coming soon. She was supposed to contact me back to answer some questions but she never followed up. I learned online I was not selected...never ha'd opportunity to discuss my interest or background. If you want to get a chance to reach the hiring manager....consider to lie on your current working status.

Interview Questions

• Not expecting to have to deal with a purely administrative question.... The interview was supposed to review my credentials and interest.... I had to deal with unprofessional hr staff.   Answer Question

Senior Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in March 2008.

Interview

applied on line. screened by phone. invited to Seattle for full day of interviews.

Interview Questions

• there wasn't really a hard question. it was just that the day was long and it consisted of many back to back interviews. I had to be able to be fresh and repeat information about myself in each interview. hard to stay perky.   Answer Question

Negotiation

added approximately $10,000 to annual salary through negotiations, but it was challenging. needed concrete comparisons because they have a firm line about what comparable salaries look like.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Interview

They tend to over-sell the position and hire over-qualified people, which results in disappointment and frustration afterwards. There's high leadership turnover and they are usually not forthcoming during the interview process. For Program Officer jobs, be prepared that a big percentage of your time will be spent on managing internal stakeholders and administrative matters as opposed external-facing work in the field with partners.