Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Interview Questions

45 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

They referred to it as Social Hiring event. Different! One day in a hotel venue where you participate in 5 different activities. It maybe more but at least 5 activities. I call it survival of the fittest event. All candidates for different positions compete and if you are the type that barely spoke, you may not have made the cut. If you have this vibrant personality and really good at speaking in a crowd, you will most likely make the cut. I'm consentuios and like to process thoughts before taking action or speaking. At times, it's immediate response, and at times, sleep on it. It depends on the situation. I was not a big fan of the hall monitors as I call them. They monitored each person in each activity like a hawk and writing notes fast. Last activity was speed interview where you get 15 minutes with the hiring manager in a room full of people where you can barely hear the conversation. Bottom line - Consulting company that pioneered or sold the process did well for sure perhaps financially.

I came in thinking of a non profit atmosphere where I should feel that all lives are equal. I felt corporate culture - no different than for profit organizations.

I also read all the reviews on Glassdoor, and it confirmed the areas of development for IT org.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Telephonic & one on one interview, pleasant and very easy going on both interviews, though I was so nervous they made it so easy for me to express myself. I wasn't hired but I am positive this wasn't my last interview process with the organization.

Digital Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied online. About a week and a half later received an invite to attend a "social hiring happy hour" scheduled for one week after that. Billed as a way to "meet and interact with executives," it's essentially a personality contest for job hopefuls. As one executive put it, "everyone here is smart," before he went on a spiel about how it's important to be "high energy." After introducing myself to the team member who was fielding questions for the position I was applying for, she opened with, "so, I guess you should tell me about yourself." I did, but my experience told me a great deal about the foundation as well.

Interview Questions

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Response

Nov 9, 2016 – Head of Talent Acquisition and Talent Management

Thanks so much for your review based upon your experience. I wish you the very best in your continued job search.

Communications Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied online, but pinged a former colleague who is a senior professional there that I applied. Had a phone call with HR, then a phone call with the hiring manager. They flew me out to Seattle for a series of 1 on 1 meetings with the whole team, that lasted an entire day. They were very accommodating, friendly, and nice. The hiring manager was unfortunately unimpressive and definitely less experienced than me, so it was a little awkward. The HR team was very responsive, professional and supportive though.

Interview Questions

• Pressed me on one behavioral analysis question I had been already asked on the phone, which was like, "How would you deal with angry people?" That was kind of strange.   Answer Question

Aug 24, 2016 – Head of Talent Acquisition and Talent Management

Thanks for the feedback on your interview experience.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in March 2016.

Interview

I had applied online and a couple months later, out of the blue, I get an email about that. They host a recruiting mixer where candidates get to meet the managers - all a great bunch of people. From there they select candidates for the next round which is a short phone screen followed by the next stage of an on-site full day 'work with the senior leadership'. The questions were open ended and I got the impression that the interviewers wanted to hear specific content in the responses.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your breadth and experience working with people from various functions.   Answer Question

Aug 24, 2016 – Head of Talent Acquisition and Talent Management

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Best of luck to you.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

Crazy all day "Social Interview" with all the candidates. They spent a good 50% of the time focused on "Enneagram type" you were. Turns out this is pseudo science, mystical BS. I can't believe that this would actually happen at someplace like the Gates Foundation. Maybe they fund Rain dances for crops in Africa too. Whacked out stuff.

Interview Questions

• Find your Enneagram type session.   1 Answer

Aug 24, 2016 – Head of Talent Acquisition and Talent Management

Thanks for your feedback on the social hiring event. We continue to evaluate ways to hire for emotional intelligence and cultural fit.

Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview was conducted in a very friendly and relaxed way with typical fit and behavior questions. It was very much a conversation where I had the opportunity to interrupt and ask questions all throughout the interview. The time was also not an issue and interviews went beyond one hour.

Interview Questions

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Response

Aug 24, 2016 – Head of Talent Acquisition and Talent Management

Thanks for your review of your Program Officer interview. Best of luck to you.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

Following submission of a CV, there were several interview cycles over four months. There was a long list which presumably was filtered down at each stage. Initially interviews took place on phone. Later on there were one to one interviews with a number of officers.

Interview Questions

• What is your motivation for applying for this position?   1 Answer

Thanks for your post.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Interview

Phone calls and then made it through to a full day interview. During the full day interview the first person to interview me was just rude. She leaned back in her chair, arms crossed, looking out the window and didn't make eye contact. Clearly had no desire to like me. Tough....

Interview Questions

• Details about what I thought I could bring to the project, my work history, why I wanted to be at Gates etc.   Answer Question

Program Officer, Global Health Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Same process as described by others, informal interview (telephone) with HR (senior recruiter), informal interview (telephone) with team lead, flown out for one-day interview with 7 members of senior staff, one-on-one interviews, on the hour, every hour. It is a long day but I enjoyed the opportunity to have one-on-one with different individuals as opposed to a pane.

Interview Questions

• What do you bring to our team of experts, what would you change about this organisation, why do you want to work here.   Answer Question