Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Interview Questions

Updated Oct 18, 2017

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in January 2015.

Interview

I was invited for a phone interview for two different positions then had a follow-up interview in person. The phone interview lasted for an hour or so then the in person interview is several hours long. The campus is nice, and people have been friendly.

Senior Communications Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

I was screened by HR on the phone and then had a phone interview with the hiring manager. After that interview I didn't hear back for months, until they hired someone else.

Senior Program Officer, Global Health Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in December 2014.

Interview

It was a series of back to back 1:1 interviews with key team members. Nothing too difficult. Some Interviewers were more prepared than others, for example, some clearly had only just glanced at my resume, while others had very specific questions.

Interview Questions

• What was your leadership, technical, and disease specific experience?   Answer Question

Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in December 2014.

Interview

This was a long, drawn out process over a period of four months before an offer was extended. It involved three trips to Seattle Washington and a series of phone interviews. For the most part, the same people were seen, however there was always one addition durnig each in person interview. Overall it was a lengthy process from start to finish, and while a few of the interviewers were excellent in their questioning, the others were generally more interested in talking about their own experiences at the foundation.

Interview Questions

• The normal set, experiences that would be relevant, etc. They actually did more talking than listening.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Interview

It was a one and one interview with the HR manager. She was very nice. The question was pretty behavioral questions. Why do you want to join? What is your career plan? She also asked about the community involvement and volunteer work.

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in October 2014.

Interview

First is the initial phone interview with the recruiter. I had two for two different positions. They were both very different interviews. However the recruiters were really professional and knowledgeable about the position, and the foundation. I can respect a place and its employees when they are upfront and honest. After the first phone interview they said they would pass my information on to the hiring manager for review and then I would have another phone interview depending upon the review of my resume and notes from the first interview. The hiring process can take up to a couple of months.

Interview Questions

• The questions really relate to why you want the job and how you feel you qualify. Review you resume and have an understanding of what they are looking for in a candidate.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Interview

No surprises. Same standard interview questions from interviewer to interviewer.
    Generally nice, but stressed, people.
    It seemed to take them a long time to schedule the interviews, and they kept adding interview dates after saying the current one was the last one. It became quite an investment.
    The facility was very nice. Lots of windows. But area traffic was horrendous.

Interview Questions

• Describe your approach to a particular project related problem that had challenging political, executive management, stakeholder and internal relationship dimensions to it.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA).

Interview

My interviewer (an HR employee) was incredibly rude. For instance, they asked me why my degree even mattered since I was applying for an administrative position, even though the administrative job description listed research directly relating to my degree field as one of the job tasks. Job interviews go both ways, and my interviewer did not portray the Gates Foundation in a positive light. At first I was disappointed that I did not get the job but looking back I am so glad that I do not work for the Gates Foundation if it has such a negative work environment.

Interview Questions

• Why does your degree even matter since this is an administrative position?   1 Answer

Communications Officer Interview

Interview

First spoke with recruiter, then hiring manager. Hiring on hold while reorg communications department. Know that hiring can take time at the foundation. Really varies on the department, people hiring, etc. Everyone was always very friendly about me touching base.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself in college.   1 Answer

Interview

It took quite a while and involved many interviews (some with people I didn't ever interact with in the job), but it didn't feel excessively strenuous. There was not a homework assignment, but some questions required talking through a scenario. Because people are spread out, some of the interviews were over video conference which can be awkward.