BioWare Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BioWare Interview Questions

2.8

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BioWare (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in October 2011.

Interview

I received a call from one of their HR reps, who was very nice but did not ask me any interview questions. In fact she actually asked me to call her back after we had a short discussion. I called back 4 times over the next few days. Reception transferred me to her line each time I called and I left messages. I was never spoken to again. Maybe a mistake was made and she couldn't just tell me that?

Front-End Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BioWare (Austin, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

Had a recruiter as a buffer and sped up the process. I had a phone interview, a practical test, and an panel interview. During the phone interview they asked some good questions about why I want to work there and what plugins I used, what kind of sites I built, and which CMS's. I asked them what they liked about Bioware and told them about the limits of my abilities at the moment specifically that I might not know enough Javascript since I came from an art background and know CSS more than my basic js skills.

I spoke to the recruiter about my concern and we decided it might be best to do a practical test to find out what I know and compare it. It was all CSS coding of a PSD- No javascript- so I felt like this was the majority of what I'd be expected to know. I did the test during part of my vacation and put a lot of time into making it impressive and they invited me in for an interview.

During the in-person interview it was two rounds of three people interviewing me- first with the bosses and then with the coworkers. The bosses interviewed me and of course asked why I want to work there and had a conversation about work ethic/habits, that kind of thing after giving me their speech about their goals which of course they want to be the best at what they do. I felt like the conversation meandered too quickly to my current work situation which is dysfunctional, and felt like they focused on that unnecessarily and might have placed some blame on me for not solving issues that are to put it crudely- above my pay grade. They didn't understand that it's the reason I'm looking and leaving.

I retorted to ask how long people work there, why the last professional left, and what he's doing now. All this to soften the question of "what can I hope to accomplish here?" which I never got to ask. They confirmed my general philosophy that people usually work a job under a handful of years until they accomplish their goals and either outgrow the responsibilities or salary of their current position. The last guy worked there under two years and now has his own website and works for himself, and I got the impression it was blasphemy that he left and they were either disgruntled or too self absorbed to see that the same reason that they hired him was probably the same reason he left- he wanted more, he was an achiever, he wanted to succeed. I never bothered to ask what I could accomplish, I think they got the impression of what I wanted to ask and gave a dismissive "It's all about how much you want to accomplish", which clearly doesn't apply here since they are only responsible for one website and only one of Bioware's games.

The next round was with coworkers asking more technical questions of course to find out how I would solve a problem and asked me to write out code on a whiteboard. It was good fun and a really obscure way to solve a problem that you would have to, but it showed that yes they did want to do great things there. Unfortunately it didn't sound like that would happen and in fact the guy interviewing me left the company at one point because his goals for the last website fell short. This is the kind of theme that seemed to resonate each round of interviews. While I'm sure they wanted to be the best, their track record was essentially that of mediocrity.

It was clear in the interview that they were in fact looking for someone with a good understanding of javascript and for that reason I got the impression that they didn't want to take the time to find a javascript test or tailor the practical test for what they actually wanted to know about me. I spent a lot of time researching them, the people that interviewed me, looking at their sites, and watching videos of gameplay to prepare for their interview and I think they may have just trusted a process and not put nearly enough time into researching me or asking me the right questions during the phone screening or practical test, but it was still good to have the interview to gauge my skills.

QA Tester (Contract) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at BioWare (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in October 2012.

Interview

Not the greatest. It was a phone interview first with 5 people interviewing me all at once. I had the required skills, in fact, if anything, I was over-qualified for the position. But because it was on the phone, I happened to have a couple problems with the phone cutting out even though I had good reception. I was super stressed before the interview trying to think of every possible answer, and when they thought I cut out and said "hello...?" (when I was thinking of an answer to their question), it just added to the stress of the situation making me not do the greatest. I also have a hearing disorder, so hearing with only one ear on the phone made things very difficult with my disability so I couldn't properly hear them and I had to clarify things many times and it was very embarrassing because if only I had the chance to have an in-person interview with them I could have conveyed my passion and experience to them properly, and addressed their inquirers in a more understanding and detailed manner. They didn't ask anything really to determine my skills, more questions to something I supposedly talked about on my cover letter which I didn't (so they didn't properly look at my application and my qualifications and/or may have confused it with a different persons cover letter). This surprised me and saddened me since I did all this work to be qualified and I was never put to the test on those qualifications I was treated like I knew nothing and not asked things as if I knew things, which I did...

I was given an email telling me the interviewers felt my current technical skills and work experience did not match the level required for the role.

I was only able to get this out of them after trying to contact them for weeks to hear about the possibility of a followup interview and whatnot.

Honestly, I feel that they really missed out on a successful candidate by not delving more into my application in the interview and asking me actual complicated questions (whether it be game mechanics, or whatnot). Everything was so over-simplified I was baffled because I'd adjusted my mind to a higher level of thinking with how I'd go about answering things, that when there was a lack of any substance in the questions being asked of me, it was just so primal and made me question what I'd even answer to such simple things (that seemed irrelevant from the position I'd applied for). If I could have gotten the opportunity to at least elaborate myself in an **in-person** interview, or gotten one first before a phone call (I live only 2km from the studio), then I would've been able to show them what I'm all about, and how I would've been a great asset to their team.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about changing the current implementation of the screen to alter keyboard controls for Mass Effect 3 PC.   1 Answer

Assistant Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at BioWare (Raleigh, NC) in August 2014.

Interview

My hiring process includes 5 questions about you. Plus we ask you to take a tutorial to see if this is the right place or position for you.Now I am a game character designer for Bioware games it is a great experience to have . their games have great game graphics

Interview Questions

• Do you do drugs or drink alcohol   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was Nervous

Environment Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BioWare (Austin, TX) in June 2008.

Interview

I was contacted after submitting an online application and was given an art test. After the art test was completed and approved of by the art staff I was given a phone interview. After the phone interview I was flown out for a studio visit and in person interview. The interview was an all day series of three separate interviews and tours of the facilities and a lunch with the art team. I was contacted a few days later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions about game art, a review of my art test and my portfolio with the art team.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations were quick and the studio was very receptive and open to my requests. Very accommodating and helpful overall.

Web Artist Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BioWare in May 2011.

Interview

There where four guys interviewing me, all of them really causal, the interview went well, ordinary questions about my past jobs and so, about my hobbies and my likes in the game industry.
    at the end we finished talking about games and experiences

Interview Questions

• If ask, how could i change the actual web design and why   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BioWare (Austin, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

I did a phone interview with several developers, where I was asked about my past experience and technical questions relating to that experience. I then a programming skills test. They did not mention that you couldn't use the Internet as reference, but I assumed they preferred me not to do so. After that, I had several on-site interviews where they tried to find the best fit for me. The interviews were group interviews, with behavioral questions, experience-related question, and some whiteboard questions. Everyone was incredibly professional and went out of their way to make sure I wasn't nervous.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between a class and struct in C#? In C++?   1 Answer
    • Describe a previous project and your role [from your resume].   Answer Question

Platform QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at BioWare (Austin, TX) in August 2011.

Interview

Initial communications included the regular phone interview from HR with personality and team work type questions. Next there was a phone interview with the QA lead asking more about skill sets as well as giving info specific to the position. Finally there is a face to face interview with the leads and a couple of the team members which the questions can vary greatly. This final interview they are mostly reviewing your skills and ability to work within the team.

Interview Questions

• A question asking for a solution to a hypothetical test situation with excessive workload and a hard short time constraint.   Answer Question

Release Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at BioWare in March 2011.

Interview

Interviewed with the recruiter then 1 week later with the hiring manager. Pay was way lower than industry average ($60K) for similar position and they expected unlimited work hours. I expressed reservations about life-work balance, especially at the pay rate.

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BioWare (Austin, TX) in May 2010.

Interview

Went in for an interview. Received a call a few days later.