Black Duck Software Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Black Duck Software Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2017

2.8

Software Developer - Rotational Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Black Duck Software.

Interview

After applying, I got a reply by email asking when's a good time for a phone interview, we scheduled it a few days away.

Spoke to a recruiter who asked about past internship experience, if I knew what Black Duck did, and about the rotational roles I would be taking. Didn't ask any technical questions but asked in depth about what projects I had worked on. Very polite and friendly and easy to talk to. Said they'd get back to me.

The same day, got an email asking me to schedule an in-person interview, and saying that a programming exercise would be sent my way. I did not receive the exercise that day. The next morning, I emailed about the exercise (as I would need it for the next day) and got no reply. I made a few more attempts to contact and was told it would be sent. I finally received it at 11:30 the night before the interview. As it was an early interview, I was rusty with Java, and I would take 1:20 hrs to get there, I didn't get a chance to start it without staying up.

The next day, interviewed with 4 people. One HR person, then one person from each department of the rotational program. They were all friendly, encouraging and easy to talk to. They didn't make any large demands and were happy to give me more information about the role and responsibilities and what I needed to know. The interview with their software engineer, which needed the exercise, was cut short as I had nothing to talk about.

Interview Questions

• Given a simple log-in page, with a form requesting username and password, correctly labeled, and a submit button, what is the path of action for the basic QA cases to test?   Answer Question

Jul 26, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

We apologize for the delay with submitting the coding exercise to you, certainly we would want to provide ample time for candidates to complete a coding exercise.

Customer Success Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Black Duck Software (San Jose, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

It started with a phone interview with the recruiter, then after 3 weeks got to chat with the hiring manager. He told me that he will get back to me in a week for our next step. Next week comes and no response. I emailed few times but no reply.

Interview Questions

Black Duck Software Response

Jul 26, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

I'm sorry to hear we were not responsive to your emails. Hopefully by now you have received an update on your candidacy, if by chance that is not the case, please follow up with our Recruiting team... More

Interview

The interview started out with speaking to a recruiter for 15 minutes, followed by another 15 minutes with a entry level software engineer. After that, there was an hour long coding exercise where I completed 3 basic tests on a laptop provided to me. The next hour was a whiteboard session where I was asked to design algorithms and demonstrate Object Oriented Design. At the end, I met with an engineering manager and the VP of Engineering.

Interview Questions

• Write some pseudo-code to detect whether a string is a palindrome.   Answer Question
    • Write an method to reverse an integer in Java.   Answer Question

Jan 17, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your review, always helpful for prospective candidates! And welcome aboard! :)

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Black Duck Software in January 2017.

Interview

I applied several positions online, and after replying emails to HR regarding to some questions, I got a phone call from HR to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. and in about 20 mins talk, it seems like they are looking for a senior person with leadership experience, but I didn’t applied for senior positions. And in the other day, I got email saying that I’m not a match for the position.

Marketing and Events Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Black Duck Software.

Interview

Met the company at a job fair. The recruiter I spoke with was very friendly and helpful. He told me about an entry level marketing and events position that was so new it wasn't even posted on the website yet. He took my resume and told me that he will try to get me into the rounds of interviews that were happening later that week. Two days later I received a call from another Black Duck employee, asking to schedule a phone interview for the position. He said he would send me the job description that evening. I never received the email. We agreed on a time for the following day. I never received a call. Thirty minutes later I gave him a call, no answer. I called the following day as well, both times leaving a voicemail, and no return. I called once the next week and no answer. It's fine if you filled the position already but at least have the decency to tell me, especially if you reached out to me about an interview. He made a terrible first impression of the company.

Nov 30, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

We are so sorry to hear of your recent experience - while you had a very positive and exciting first impression of us and the potential opportunity from a job fair - that by the way is what we like... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Black Duck Software (Burlington, MA).

Interview

In a period of about a week I had three phone interviews and an in-building interview with 7 different people. People conducting the interview seemed very enthusiastic, personable, and knowledgeable. Interview went well but no offer was given. Would have liked to see dissatisfaction communicated a bit better; having the VP of engineering agree on a salary range seems to be taking the interview process a bit too far for someone that will not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Find intersection of elements in two arrays   Answer Question
    • Difference between inner and outer joins   Answer Question
    • When have you used data structures and what thoughts did you have when you were designing the systems   Answer Question
    • Coding question was to write a compiler-like string parser in an hour in order to determine a list of dependencies for a given java file. Question was difficult to understand at first.   1 Answer

Dec 5, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your response - always helpful to hear about our candidates; interview process. I'm sorry we were unable to pursue your candidacy further, perhaps in the future we'll have another... More

BDR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Black Duck Software (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

Met with 4 member of the sales team - they were extremely friendly and easy to interact with. Each meeting was about 30 minutes long and 1 on 1. They took me on a tour of the facility at the end which was nice. Office was very modern and up to date

Interview Questions

• Simple background questions and easy things like what was the last book you read and why did you like it?   Answer Question

Bad timing

Nov 21, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for providing your insight, always helpful for prospective candidates! Hopefully we'll have the opportunity to work with you again in the future!

Account Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Black Duck Software (Burlington, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

phone interview with recruiter then phone interview with manager then onsite with several team members. You get a good feel for the company dynamic and everyone was very honest with their answers. The process is quick so be prepared to accept the offer a couple days after the onsite interview.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Black Duck Software (Boston, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

Onsite and talk with the team that you will potentially get into. The office is really beautiful , and people there are friendly and nice. The hire process is efficient. The technical questions will probably based on which group you applied. And remember to be prepared.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Black Duck Software (Bedford, MA) in January 2016.

Interview

So I ended up getting a call out of the blue from when I had applied months before. It was explained to me that they were interested in me and my resume looked good. Well one employee ended up going away for 2 weeks, which is alright, couldn't help the circumstances, however they left me hanging on the wall for 3-4 weeks, which I would rather have been told right away, instead of once I had called them to reach out after a week of radio silence, they then told me they had brought back a previous intern. Don't mind being overlooked by someone more qualified, however, they could've been more transparent.