Black & Veatch Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2017

2.7

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Black & Veatch (Denver, CO) in September 2015.

Interview

Met a recruiter at a college career fair, and got an interview the next day on campus. Had a brief interview, which was fairly casual and the interviewer was very nice. Ended up not getting the job, but it was due to lack of projects at the time I graduated.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to stand up for the right thing at work.   Answer Question

Client Director Interview

Interview

Relatively easy, straight forward. Second time through this and after restructuring I suspect it because of the experience level (or lack thereof) of people within the division. Not impressed if one commits to a follow-up discussion and to call by the end of the week if you don't hear back. Of course call back (twice) and a follow-up. Not even the courtesy of following up or returning a call! This is not the way to handle candidates! DOn't make commitments if you are not going to follow through.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Black & Veatch (Overland, MO) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Black & Veatch (Overland Park, KS) in August 2015.
    Interview
    Initial HR calls from different HR who manage different teams. Initial call with HR about work experience, why BV, why looking for a change in job technologies I know and versions of technologies I worked with explaining couple of projects on my resume
    and called for onsite interview and got a job offer

Gave me an offer, which is less than what I currently make in terms of compensation

Interview Questions

• Initital assesment
      1. Sent me a coding assignment and asked my github, stackoverflow and linkedin accounts 2. Coding assignment was create a deck of cards to play poker like five card draw

Onsite
      1. About the company
      2. Manager talk - technologies and my interests
      3. lead - write a program to find sum of all numbers below 1000 that are divisible by 5 or 7
                Write a program to find the sum of numbers in the products of factoatial number, 4! = 4*3*2*1 = 24 , sum is 6
                class design to represent kgm/s2, for representing the metric system, a metric system can have length, kilogram, time etc
                 and behavioual questions
      4. Sr. Software engineer - behavioural questions and difference between the Stack and the heap
      5. Lunch - behavioural and fit- mostly my interests and thoughts about scrum, waterfall, ttd, work environment
      5. HR - benefits and other options
      Answer Question

Senior Human Resources Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Black & Veatch (Overland Park, KS).

Interview

Consisted of two managers asking multiple questions. The managers each had a different interest in what this role would produce, therefore had differing questions. Some parts of the interview were somewhat uncomfortable as the two managers had multiple side conversations not specific to the interview itself.

Interview Questions

• How would you address a data feed error between two competing applications?   Answer Question

Civil Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Black & Veatch.

Interview

Got interview by refer. HR had phone screening call at first. Then scheduled on site panel interview the following week. Small group interview with hiring manager, lead engineer and colleague engineer. This interview last 3 hr the most. Then wait for a long time, then hear back for another on site formal interview. Process took too long.

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Black & Veatch (Overland Park, KS) in April 2015.

Interview

They're HR rep contacted me by phone and asked a couple of questions. After that I was asked to participate in a phone interview with the manager of the position. Then I did an on-site interview. That interview consisted of 4 people at separate times. Each one lasting about 30 minutes. All interviewees were very professional and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Questions were primarily asked to test my technical knowledge of the position.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Black & Veatch.

Interview

Applied online through my school's recruiting site
    Spoke with a Black & Veatch employee at career fair
    Had a preliminary on campus interview the next day
    Received a call from a recruiter about two weeks later to schedule an onsite interview for the following week
    Onsite interview was set up as follows:
    The first employee showed me around the office, gave me an overview of the company, and took me to lunch.
    I had four more 30 minute interviews with different levels of engineers in the department for the rest of the day.
    Was offered the following day.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and what you like to do in your free time.   Answer Question
    • What were your favorite classes and why?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you were faced with a conflict and how you solved it.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you were in the wrong and had to admit your faults.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Black & Veatch.

Interview

Applied on campus career fair and got an interview the same day. The interview had no technical questions, it was all behavioral questions. There were two engineers interviewing, so it was a little intimidating, but manageable. During the interview both engineers were filling out some evaluation sheet, making comments on how I answered their questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had 2 projects that were due within similar time frames and how you managed them.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you and another person or group had conflicting ideas and how did you resolve the situation.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Black & Veatch (Kansas City, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a 5 hour interview process with half an hour each individual interviews with the last one over lunch. The interviewers were 2-3 years experienced into the company with only one being really senior

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an experience where you had to put in extra efforts   Answer Question

Civil Engineer I - Geotechnical Interview

Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Black & Veatch (Overland Park, KS) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and submitted my resume. I had an email in about a week asking to set up a phone interview with an HR Recruiter. It was a brief 30 min, get to know you kind of interview. He asked some of the expected questions which started, "Can you give me an example of a time when..." A couple days after that I scheduled another phone interview with one of the group managers. That was another 30-40 min interview which was basically just talking about classes I have taken. A couple days after that they contacted me about an in-person interview at their office. I met most of the people I would work with, and had short 20-30 min interviews with about 6 different people. We just talked about courses I had taken, projects they had worked on, very simple stuff. The interview lasted about 4 hours and ended with lunch with the manager. I was informed the next day that I should expect an offer.

Interview Questions

• Can you give me an example of a time when you didn't get along with a group member?
      Can you give me an example of a time when you had to fall short on quality to finish a project?
      1 Answer