BlackBerry Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 7, 2017

2.8

210 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Business Development Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview

Phone interview with a recruiter, followed by a full-day (9:30am - 6pm) on site behavioral interview with 40 other interviewees. To be honest, I found this format entirely ineffective unless all they are looking for is the most outgoing candidate (which is important for sales, but just because you're outgoing doesn't mean you will be good at sales, and doesn't mean you have the skills to advance in the company). But most importantly, Blackberry's sales leaders did hardly ANY selling of why we should want to work for them. I spent a total of 10 minutes talking to actual decision-makers. In the end, I found myself in the group not offered a position alongside some other candidates I was convinced would get an offer. Whole day was a pretty big waste and proved I would not be happy with a position at Blackberry anyway.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to shift from your current role into sales?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

It was good. The people were great. Friendly, joined as intern and then full time, memorable experience. Easy smooth flow for interview structure. Learnt a lot, well organized, Past experience was asked

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunrise, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Sunrise, FL) in July 2015.

Interview

Just 30 mins interview with the Architect and Manager of the team. Difference between C++ and Java. Projects I have worked on and other behavioural questions like
    1. Conflicts in your team How do you resolve
    2.Why this position
    3. why Blackberry
    4.Why Software

Firmware Development Student Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Gainesville, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

It was a single Telephonic Interview with my Manager and Sr. Manager. I got selected on the basis on my Telephonic Interview and I came to know that after 1-2 weeks, then my background check started and this process took a long time(3-4 weeks). Finally I got my offer letter after 5-6 weeks from the date of Interview.

The interview was not that difficult. If you know what's on your resume and you can justify it during your Interview then you are in. :)

Interview Questions

• 1. C/C++ experience and some basic conceptual questions on them.
      2. Master's Degree Project
      3. Bachelor's Degree Project
      4. Previous Intern Experience
      5. Difference between C/C++/Java   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was internship, so there was nothing much to negotiate. I was happy with the base pay provided by the company which was more than I expected initially.

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BlackBerry (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Three easy interviews, one with BlackBerry's recruiter, two with the VP who was doing the hiring. Basic sales questions: deals you worked, how you would present BlackBerry's products, challenging customer situations, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a customer you worked with that you would sell BlackBerry products to.   1 Answer

Mobile Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview

phone interview about 25 minutes. First the employer described the company and position. Then he asked me about one of my mobile projects on the resume. Then some follow up about the project. At last, he asked me if I have used some tools like git.

Senior Applications Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Cary, NC) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied via the job portal of my university. I was promptly contacted by the Manager who was looking to hire for his team. He scheduled a phone interview with a senior developer on his team. It was a typical one hour phone screening interview. The senior developer started off by giving me a brief description of the nature of the work then moved over to the languages I could code in and finally onto a brief description of a project that I felt was most relevant to that discussion. This lead to an onsite interview with a developer, a team lead, a manager, a director and a VP. This lasted for about four hours.

The folks over at BB are very nice and treat you with respect and through professionalism. During the onsite interviews the manager gave a brief introduction of the team, the position and expectations from the new hire. This was followed by a technical interview by one of the developers on the team. He quizzed me on basic questions like sorting an input file and designing an efficient solution for implementing a contacts search for a phone; the kind that starts prompting you names based on the characters/numbers you have enter into the search field. I met with the team lead after this interview. He discussed relevant projects and work experience (internship and CoOp in my case. I had developed desktop applications in VB .Net for a Factory Automation team in the semiconductor industry.) and project work (focusing on experience following SW Dev/Engineering practices and models, conflict resolution, requirements gathering and documentation for long term support). This round was followed by a meeting with the VP. I feel he tried to gauge my expectations from the job, ambitions in my professional life and the general direction in which I wanted my career to grow. The last round was to analyze my critical thinking involving a puzzle/brain teaser. I am sure the problem he posed had no solution. This one made me nervous.

BB takes about 2 weeks to ponder over your interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe how a smartphone would boot up?
      When do you think all the drivers would be loaded?   Answer Question
    • Given an input file of characters produce an output file that is sorted (English alphabet considered for the sake of simplicity. The o/p would look like: all the a's then all the A's then the b's then B's ....) State the data structures that'd be used, the reason for using them and the time complexity of the solution.   Answer Question
    • Design a contacts search for a phone. The solution should prompt you with all the contacts that'd match the characters keyed into the search box.
      Eg: For a contacts list having Adam, Alex and Arby's, keying in A should suggest Adam, Alex, Arby's while keying in Ad should suggest only Adam.
      State and explain the choice of data structures and explain the time complexity of the solution.   Answer Question
    • How does process scheduling work?
      How does the OS know that it's time to run the scheduler?
      What is a deadlock?
      When does a deadlock occur?
      What is priority inversion?
      What is a possible way of solving the problem of priority inversion?   Answer Question
    • How did you gather the requirements for the applications that you developed during your internship?
      How did you ascertain if what you understood matched what the customer asked for?
      (did you and the customer sign off on a req doc?)
      How did you make sure that what you were developing was stable and matched user expectations? (did you prototype and unit test? how?)   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BlackBerry in January 2015.

Interview

Briefly spoke about some personal questions and they asked me some legalese type things about my employment eligibility. No coding interviews on this one as it seemed to be more of a first screen, however I have been contacted again for a phone interview. No coding questions got asked but I imagine that will come later.

Firmware Development Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Gainesville, FL) in November 2014.

Interview

I do not remember applying to the interview but received a call. Very simple interview and was given the offer on the same day. The interviewer mentioned the topics I will be interviewed on and I prepared for those. Reading the first few search results on google about the topics should suffice.

Interview Questions

• Basics of C, debugging techniques and basics of testing   Answer Question

Software Developer, Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview

Initial communications began at the university careers fair, followed up with a phone call from Blackberry in Bellevue, WA. Interview was scheduled in the following week, for a summer internship position that would begin a few months after the screening process. There were also the usual series of background checks, but those were carried out after the interview process ended.

Interview Questions

• Immediately write code with a sharpie without any points for reference, timed under 5 minutes. There was a simple scenario given, but it did not matter that much in reality.   Answer Question