BlackBerry Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 12, 2018

2.9

187 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview

You ll have 1 Hr round and a onsite interview

Embedded Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Irving, TX) in April 2013.

Interview

Got a phone call from the HR manager & he asked about few stuffs in the resume. He scheduled a technical round on the immediate next day. A senior level engineer called me & asked questions regarding auto-interrupts, external interrupts, SPI, UART & DAC. He also asked some questions in C about linked list & structures. Asked few questions from RTOS, difference between semaphore & mutex, scheduler & stack, frame pointers.

Interview Questions

• Design a function that takes a structure and inserts it into a sorted linked list of structures   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview

Sent resume on campus job fair. Got a email notification for a 30-minutes phone interview 3 weeks after that job fair. The phone interview has nothing to do with technical problems. The interviewer first introduce the basic information of their company and their development teams. Then he just asked several questions about the resume. Then, he asked about the biggest coding project you did before.

Interview Questions

• How many classes have you did in your previous project?   Answer Question

Embedded Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

Applied on their website, got a call to schedule and interview.

Interview Questions

• Difference between programming on an embedded system and a PC   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview

First did a phone interview, which was half technical half behavioral. Was called back to do an inperson interview which lasted most of the day. I was interviewed by different people, in different areas of the company. The first interview was technical while the others were more behavioral, to see if I would fit the office's environment.

Interview Questions

• Coding question was to make a spell checker, which was not too bad.   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackBerry in January 2013.

Interview

Initial email from recruiter saying I had been selected and verified a time to speak with the hiring manager. Meeting was about 2.5 weeks after this email. Actual interview was mostly manager explaining the position and whats expected from this individual. It was not a standard interview from my experience, none of the nonsense SAW or situation questions on the first interview. Those I spoke with were nice, although HR appeared to be uninformed as much was left up to the manager. No discussion of salary, which can be a waste of everyone's time if its too low.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Milford, CT).

Interview

I gave them my resume at a college career fair. They contacted me a few weeks later and set up a phone interview.

The phone interview consisted of a coding problem, which you had to solve using Google docs while the interviewer watches you. The interviewer was very nice and we fixed a couple bugs in my code together.

Next I had an on-site interview which lasted all day. I met with 8 different people from the company for 6 interviews and a lunch period. Almost all of the interviews were technical in nature. This includes coding, drawing software diagrams on a whiteboard, and verbally answering some questions. Once again everyone was very nice and they make it very easy for you to succeed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Milford, CT).

Interview

I met them at my college career fair. They were recruiting people for their Milford, Connecticut branch. They had a 45 min phone interview where they asked me to type a program in google documents, a basic number to string conversion for the headers in column for microsoft excel, eg A - 1 .. Z - 26, AA - 27 etc.. I did that and they called for an onsite interview. I surprisingly had 3 one to one HR rounds and only 1 technical round (2 interviewers). In the technical round they asked me to code, if given a dictionary as a huge stream (words separated with commas) and a word to search, how would I find it in the stream. According to me all the rounds went fine, so I am guessing my rejection was only based on the fact that I didnt have much mobile programming experience.

Interview Questions

• One question in the phone interview and one in the onsite technical round, but both were easy...   Answer Question

IOT Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Irving, TX) in November 2012.

Interview

RIM job fair. only 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• explain an EV-DO call flow. Have you worked with wireshark with QXDM?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Dallas, TX) in October 2012.

Interview

I have applied for the software engineer internship position on the website of RIM, after about 3 weeks, the recruiter contacted me and said that one group wants to interview with me. The phone interview is scheduled about 1 week later.

Interview Questions:
    First part: network related
    What will happen after I open a browser and type www.google.com?
    When I log into gmail or hotmail, how will the server identify you so next time you don’t need to login again?
    What’s the difference between sockets and ports?
    How to check how many sockets are opened in the computer?

Second part: Java related.
    What’s static field?
    What’s static method?
    What’s the difference between overloading and overwriting?
    What’s polymorphism?
    What’s the difference between abstract class and interface?
    Can we instantiate abstract class? Can we instantiate interface?
    What’s the access level in java?
    What’s the finally block?
    Can you give me an example of finally block?

Third part: programming problems
    1. give list1 and list2, suppose they are sorted in ascending order, how to check whether each element in list 2 presents in list 1. What’s the time complexity?

2. Suppose there’s no hashmap class in Java, design your own hashmap class.

3. Give an example where dead lock can happen.

4. calculate the factorial of n.