BlackBerry Interview Questions in Toronto, ON | Glassdoor

2.8

35 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in March 2013.

Interview

The interview process was very formal and thorough. It consisted of an HR interview over the phone to screen for skills and qualification alignment for the job posting. Then there was a group interview with a few senior members of the team, accompanied by a manager. Followed by a second in person interview with the hiring manager which was concluded by a call from the HR department provinding myself with an offer for the position I have applied for.

Interview Questions

• The questions were open and generally about workful and design methodology.   Answer Question

Co-op Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in October 2012.

Interview

One stage interview, whereby the hiring manager was a Senior Business Planner. It was primarily a behavioural interview with situational questions. There was some questions regarding tech knowledge and interest, but was more of what are my interests in tech and why BlackBerry.

Interview Questions

• Tell me three things that are happening in tech today you find interesting.   Answer Question

Security Research Aistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Interview process was good. submitted my resume online about two weeks latter got an email. Had one call interview after which i got an offer the next day.
    Interview ques were simple string manipulation.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Mississauga, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Did 2 Interviews First was over the phone, normal questions about my experience, second interview was Face-to-Face in Mississauga, alot of OOP questions and finally a paper with OOP Questions.. Didnt get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Normal Questions: How to detect Memory Leak... What is Volatile key word .. etc   Answer Question

Systems Software Developer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in January 2012.

Interview

I had one phone interview and one on-site interview. The on-site interview was the 2 team leads and one senior project manager. The interview took around 2 hours. Generally speaking they were friendly at the interview. I got the result of interview after 3 days, but my background check took around 5 week.

Interview Questions

• Software design pattern, Java programming questions, and some behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Software Developer Webworks Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2011.

Interview

Applied online and did a short 20 min phone interview. After which I was sent an offer letter, Only took about 2 weeks to hear from them and get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Fairly average, wasn't asked any tough algorithmic problems. It was mostly about what technologies I had used, what my personal projects were about and what I was interested in doing.   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in March 2011.

Interview

Step 1: Resume/Cover Letter
    Step 2: Email confirming phone interview
    Step 3: Phone interview with team lead, and project specialists

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you implemented a solution to help your team members.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer - Infrastructure Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in January 2011.

Interview

The phone interview lasted for about 30 minutes. I was asked to tell RIM what it was I was working on and how it could be related to what they are doing. A few trivial questions about types of EJBs and Java Collections, Synchronization and concurrent access.

The face-to-face interview took about 2 hours.
    I was given a choice of my assignment: design 1 of 3 programs from the list. My choice was to design 'Flight and Hotel booking web app'
    Even though the assignment stated that I need to focus on the design stages and capture business requirements and functional specifications the main focus was on entities and their relationships.

As the assignment stated I was free to make any reasonable assumptions as to 3rd party systems and interfacing into them. Again, the developers where predetermined to hear just one scenario that in their minds was the only possible solution. My guess - they simply made up their mind in the first 30 seconds.

Which actually brings a very good point - you have 30 seconds to make the first impression and that's when the decision is made. The rest is less important.

After presenting a cloud type design for my solution I noticed that the interviewers got anxious to get it over with and became very impatient about pretty much everything. At some point they even decided to argue about impossibility to persist Java collections. Not sure what the process at RIM is but when such developers run the show no wonder RIM is not doing well. I guess, weak developers are part of the problem.

Focus on entities and persistence, and make sure you tell them to persist everything locally. And forget about offering them web service interfaces into flight and hotel searching and payment systems. They believe that persisting everything locally is the only way things should work.

You may want think about your web page navigation logic and JSP interaction with stateless EJBs and how they retrieve entity beans or persist them. Choice of persistence provider and db engine is irrelevant.

If, in the end, they take you out through a fire exit door - your chances of getting a job with RIM are 0.

RIM developers lack social skill. Maybe they are so high up in the sky because they work for RIM - who knows.

This interview description is subjective and obviously your personal experience may vary.

Good luck in your job hunt!

Interview Questions

• How would you persist multiple reservation IDs?   1 Answer
    • what is JPQL and where would you use it?   1 Answer

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in July 2010.

Interview

basic questions were involved like why you applied and what you want to get out of this interview. Not much surprises but went by very quickly. Im not sure how they really evaluate their decision because it wasnt too in depth. I was only applying for a coop 4 month position so maybe thats why. Make sure you have alot of experience to talk about

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in May 2010.

Interview

The recruitor aksed me some details in my resume. In this part there is no technical quesitons. Then he asked me two very simple Java questions : what is the big O of hashmap, what is the efficiency of searching for hashmap and vector. I feel like that he just wanted to make sure what I put on my resume is true and then rescheduled another interview for the hiring manager. I know he keeps typing while listening to my answers. He also asked questions like "have you had interviews with RIM before?" "why you didn't make it?" etc. Then he told me how the whole hiring process goes, like if I pass the next phone interview I will be invited to an on-site interview, there will be a background check for the last 7 years etc, and asked if I am comfortable with that.

The phone interview goes on pretty well. It is a screening interview after all. He said he would send me an email to confirm the next interview.

Interview Questions

• How to put a number of strings together   1 Answer