BlackBerry Interview Questions in Toronto, ON | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 28, 2017

2.8

Systems Software Developer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in January 2012.

Interview

I had one phone interview and one on-site interview. The on-site interview was the 2 team leads and one senior project manager. The interview took around 2 hours. Generally speaking they were friendly at the interview. I got the result of interview after 3 days, but my background check took around 5 week.

Interview Questions

• Software design pattern, Java programming questions, and some behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Software Developer Webworks Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2011.

Interview

Applied online and did a short 20 min phone interview. After which I was sent an offer letter, Only took about 2 weeks to hear from them and get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Fairly average, wasn't asked any tough algorithmic problems. It was mostly about what technologies I had used, what my personal projects were about and what I was interested in doing.   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in March 2011.

Interview

Step 1: Resume/Cover Letter
    Step 2: Email confirming phone interview
    Step 3: Phone interview with team lead, and project specialists

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you implemented a solution to help your team members.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer - Infrastructure Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in January 2011.

Interview

The phone interview lasted for about 30 minutes. I was asked to tell RIM what it was I was working on and how it could be related to what they are doing. A few trivial questions about types of EJBs and Java Collections, Synchronization and concurrent access.

The face-to-face interview took about 2 hours.
    I was given a choice of my assignment: design 1 of 3 programs from the list. My choice was to design 'Flight and Hotel booking web app'
    Even though the assignment stated that I need to focus on the design stages and capture business requirements and functional specifications the main focus was on entities and their relationships.

As the assignment stated I was free to make any reasonable assumptions as to 3rd party systems and interfacing into them. Again, the developers where predetermined to hear just one scenario that in their minds was the only possible solution. My guess - they simply made up their mind in the first 30 seconds.

Which actually brings a very good point - you have 30 seconds to make the first impression and that's when the decision is made. The rest is less important.

After presenting a cloud type design for my solution I noticed that the interviewers got anxious to get it over with and became very impatient about pretty much everything. At some point they even decided to argue about impossibility to persist Java collections. Not sure what the process at RIM is but when such developers run the show no wonder RIM is not doing well. I guess, weak developers are part of the problem.

Focus on entities and persistence, and make sure you tell them to persist everything locally. And forget about offering them web service interfaces into flight and hotel searching and payment systems. They believe that persisting everything locally is the only way things should work.

You may want think about your web page navigation logic and JSP interaction with stateless EJBs and how they retrieve entity beans or persist them. Choice of persistence provider and db engine is irrelevant.

If, in the end, they take you out through a fire exit door - your chances of getting a job with RIM are 0.

RIM developers lack social skill. Maybe they are so high up in the sky because they work for RIM - who knows.

This interview description is subjective and obviously your personal experience may vary.

Good luck in your job hunt!

Interview Questions

• How would you persist multiple reservation IDs?   1 Answer
    • what is JPQL and where would you use it?   1 Answer

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in July 2010.

Interview

basic questions were involved like why you applied and what you want to get out of this interview. Not much surprises but went by very quickly. Im not sure how they really evaluate their decision because it wasnt too in depth. I was only applying for a coop 4 month position so maybe thats why. Make sure you have alot of experience to talk about

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in May 2010.

Interview

The recruitor aksed me some details in my resume. In this part there is no technical quesitons. Then he asked me two very simple Java questions : what is the big O of hashmap, what is the efficiency of searching for hashmap and vector. I feel like that he just wanted to make sure what I put on my resume is true and then rescheduled another interview for the hiring manager. I know he keeps typing while listening to my answers. He also asked questions like "have you had interviews with RIM before?" "why you didn't make it?" etc. Then he told me how the whole hiring process goes, like if I pass the next phone interview I will be invited to an on-site interview, there will be a background check for the last 7 years etc, and asked if I am comfortable with that.

The phone interview goes on pretty well. It is a screening interview after all. He said he would send me an email to confirm the next interview.

Interview Questions

• How to put a number of strings together   1 Answer

Junior C# Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in July 2009.

Interview

very good interview, very calm and relaxed. Had 4 or 5 technical questions relating to c# and Object Oriented Programming.

I was asked a lot of "talk about this experience and how you went about solving it" Basically they will ask you about experiences you have on your resume. A lot of hypothetical questions....

Interview Questions

Negotiation

$$$$$

Senior Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2009.

Interview

I made personal contacts with RIM to see if they had any openings and they had a posting they were about to open to public so i had advance notice. Had a call with HR, then a one to ones with all their senior staff. Interviews went very well.

Interview Questions

• Would you say the iPhone is a competitor to the Blackberry   5 Answers

Couple of reasons:
    i was made a competitive offer with a little known company at time that was superior and offered more opportunities to travel.
    The commute between downtown toronto, mississuaga and waterloo was extremly offputting. The design office needs to be an urban center if they want to attract fresh talent.

Software Developer, Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in February 2009.

Interview

The people I interviewed with did a good job in making you feel comfortable. There was a good amount of small talk, and they asked job related questions like Java processes and threads. They helped me out when I was stuck, and also responded with appropriate feedback as I answered technical questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you reverse a string?   2 Answers

Testing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackBerry (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2008.

Interview

RIM interview process is different in different department. Phone interview is the first for all. Some department will have 4 to 5 people for interview and each might last for 1 hour. Some department will have 1 to 2 hour group interview

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between GSM and CDMA   1 Answer
    • Why there is LA, RA?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Some room for salary negotiation, about 10 percent