BlackRock Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BlackRock Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2017

33 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock in December 2009.

Interview

Pretty tough but very thorough - asked a lot on market situation and were interested to know what I thought was the cause of the economic crises. A group of highly intelligent, very friendly people. Off-putting in the sense that the interviewers asked technical questions in a pretty conversational, casual manner. One thing - they take weeks to get back to you post Superday, which i thought was pretty strange for such a well-run company, but didn't get offer. The on-campus interview before that was very conversational, almost no behavioral or fit, just a casual conversation on where we both thought markets were heading and what we considered to be the future of Asset Management. Overall lots of fun but pretty stressful.

Interview Questions

• If you started working with our team tomorrow, what would be the first thing you asked to look at?   Answer Question
  • what do you think caused the collapse of the market?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (Mumbai (India)) in March 2017.

Interview

Step 1 - One hour practical Test (It was critical and hidden queries to solve on your own to show your attentiveness and precision in work and eligibility to understand the work | Step 2 on the same day - Three rounds of face to face interviews with local and global managers/ seniors, Step 3 (after clearing the step 1 & 2) - Face to face discussion with Director and VP Hr. Post all the stages then the offer is made over the phone > Either you accept or negotiate and take the process further.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and your career milestones in 1.5 Minute.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about any conflicts with your previous managers / bosses.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Suggestion - Be prepared for negotiation/ Salary discussion at all the stages of an interview.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Standard telephone interview were i was asked about my motivation for the FIG Business Manager Associate role and generally about my background.
    The interview was a week later with the global head of the Financial institutions Group, who asked very unusual questions about my background. All questions were fairly intrusive and related to my personal life, and intimate parts of my personal relationship with my family and parents. It's not possible to prepare for this interview since there was not a single competency or knowledge based interview.
    I never received any feedback from the interview from HR, neither in form of a phone call, personal email or even automated email. I tired contacting them myself but was unsuccessful.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Lengthy and in-depth. Several rounds of interviews for all candidates. BlackRock interviews many people for seemingly all open reqs. I've seen first-hand where one off-comment can derail an entire interview and lead to a rejection of a seemingly good candidate.

Interview Questions

• Why do you wish to work at BlackRock? Don't mess up and refer to "BlackRock" as "Blackstone" which, surprisingly, I've seen happen by interviewees.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Phone interview followed by 1:1 by 4 people. Questions were challenging with focus on multi threading and advanced java. Was interviewed by the team I would be working for so this hellped get an understanding of team culture and they level of expertise.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, NM

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, NM) in June 2010.

Interview

Internal recruiters call for screening. This is followed by interview with team and then with direct manager and their leadership team. The entire process is less than a month long.

Negotiation

Not much room. This is made clear.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

Call from HUMAN RESOURCE, Written test with Excel and fiance questions, 3 rounds of interview, interview with process head then final negotiation with HR. It is same as most companies followed in Delhi NCR.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

I was interviewed for contracting for Java developer position a year back. People are cool, lot of Financial questions, normal Java developer may not get through it. As I am Financial savy person I could do it. .. In general interviews at Black Rock San Francisco are tough.
    I was selected and worked for 9 months, because of budget cuts could not renew or convert as FT. Now team called me back for FT position, since they know me, interview was easy sail. HR interview and processing is not so common as I expected. I have asked my expected salary, they came up with the package with same figure (but bonus and benefits included in that), which is very uncommon in IT industry. You usually ask for a salary and bonus on top of the salary. Offer was not that great, just median salary of San Francisco Bay Area, which is definitely not expected from top notch financial company. Benefits are also not par with financial industry, only 50 pc match of 401k and 3 years vesting time, and max of 5k limit of matching. Only good benefit is unlimited sick time, which disappeared in lot of companies already. Having 10 + years of programming experience, BlackRock offered only median salary of Bay Area.

Interview Questions

• There is no negotiation of salary in Black Rock, they will come up with an offer and either you accept it or reject it   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

Phone interview screening with HR is literally to see if you want to be submitted to the team. Once the team approves, they setup the in office interview. You have to meet with pretty much half the team at the very least as well as a few people from related teams. I interviewed with 12-13 people total for 20 mins each over a span of 3 days. They seem to ask the same questions and then at the end of the process they decide if you are going to be easy to work with yet know your stuff and get stuff done.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was short because they have a set salary for how many years experience for your title level. Was not able to get even a small increase.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Standard interview, nothing fancy. HR department though has been absolutely horrendous supporting this and providing information regarding the interview. They did not replied back not once after me sending them 4 e-mails requesting feedback.