BlackRock Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BlackRock Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2017

33 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Phone interview followed by 1:1 by 4 people. Questions were challenging with focus on multi threading and advanced java. Was interviewed by the team I would be working for so this hellped get an understanding of team culture and they level of expertise.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

I was referred to the job by a friend for a specific position. I was asked to interview with six people over the course of four hours. I was then asked to return for a series of follow-up interviews with another four employees for over two hours a week later. I was offered the job less than two weeks after the initial series of interviews.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to evaluate how to I would introduce a new product to a new market and what processes or resources I would need in order to ensure a successful product launch. I was also asked why I was leaving a fairly lucrative and successful investment banking job to join a larger corporation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I attempted to negotiate a higher starting salary but was unsuccessful in getting more money. I accepted the initial offer presented.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

The interview process went well. BlackRock interviews are different and less structured than other financial services companies. It made it easy to tell my story and control the direction of the interview. I would give myself an A rating for the interview. Unfortunately, when I heard back about a second round, BlackRock informed me that rather than not being selected for a second round, they were not looking to fill the position any more.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you worked very hard for something but were not able to achieve the goal.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

Phone screen with HR. Phone chat with hiring manager. Flew out to job location office for interviews with several team members over the course of 3 hours. Interview was not terribly difficult, mostly background/personality questions. Was notified a couple days later by HR that I had received a job offer for the SF office.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you know about ETFs   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock in February 2011.

Interview

First interview was with HR recruiter, consisting of usual questions on career history, expectations, etc. Next step interview was with the direct reporting manager and one of the colleague with technical questions. Third interview was with mid-level management, discussing more on the high-level perspective, as well as introduction on the company's background. And final interview was with the HR recruiter again to wrap up with the package, starting date, etc.

Interview Questions

• So long as we have the technical expertise, all the technical questions should not be an issue. However, the question regarding the strategy might be tricky, as it is heavily related to the current situation of the firm or the team themselves.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, NM

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, NM) in June 2010.

Interview

Internal recruiters call for screening. This is followed by interview with team and then with direct manager and their leadership team. The entire process is less than a month long.

Negotiation

Not much room. This is made clear.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

Phone interview screening with HR is literally to see if you want to be submitted to the team. Once the team approves, they setup the in office interview. You have to meet with pretty much half the team at the very least as well as a few people from related teams. I interviewed with 12-13 people total for 20 mins each over a span of 3 days. They seem to ask the same questions and then at the end of the process they decide if you are going to be easy to work with yet know your stuff and get stuff done.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was short because they have a set salary for how many years experience for your title level. Was not able to get even a small increase.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in February 2009.

Interview

3 on site, 5 people each time

Interview Questions

• not many unexpected or difficult questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

HR tried to low-ball me.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at BlackRock (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

1st Interview - very informal , VP lead the chat through resume and asked some competency based questions. Analyst took notes - both very pleasant.

2 weeks later - HR offered me a different job - I said I would rather wait to hear back from the 1st.

The following day I was invited to 2nd interview with Director and VP. They told me it would last 30 minutes, it lasted 20. Very informal , chatted over CV - said I would hear in couple days.

I chased recruiter on a weekly basis for an update and they gave ever excuse you could think of. 3 weeks later I got the response that they went with someone else. They blamed the delay on holiday season.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Standard interview, nothing fancy. HR department though has been absolutely horrendous supporting this and providing information regarding the interview. They did not replied back not once after me sending them 4 e-mails requesting feedback.