BlackRock Interview Questions in California | Glassdoor

3.2

90 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

the worst interview experience ever. uncoordinated, random and weird. did i even apply for a software engineering role? was not even interested in answering the questions after the 2nd round. The job description is all nonsense.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got a hacker rank test. The test had 3 questions(JAVA). After submission of the test got a call for an onsite interview after 3 days.

Had 4 interviews which are a mix of technical and behavioral nature. I was asked some riddles as well. Overall it was a nice experience but I don't understand why recruiters take such a long time to respond back. After 4 rounds, we had lunch and an information session about the company.
    HR does not care to respond back if you are not the #1 choice.

Interview Questions

• I did not expect mathematics riddles in the interview which were was asked.   1 Answer

Software Engineering Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

At first, had a coding test through HireVue - 6 questions. The test builds on Portfolio management- Java OOP, lots of string parsing and financial math involved. The descriptions were good enough to understand the assignment, except for the last question, which was tricky.

Directly made it to onsite without a phone interview. Had 4 interviews- 2 technical, and 2 behavioral. The behavioral part was standard- talk about projects and other "tell me about a time.." questions. The first technical interview was based on OOP design and built further on the online coding test. The interviewer was pleasant and seemed satisfied with my solution. The second technical interview was weird. Went into details of Java HashMap, List interface, Abstract classes, Interface, Design patterns and asked an algorithmic question in the end. The 2nd technical interviewer was rude and said in my face "You don't seem to know Java at all" when I said that you need to redefine every single function in a Java interface, unlike abstract classes, which might have concrete methods. He was a very condescending Indian man. He also asked to code a singleton and gave me 5 minutes to code an algorithmic question, which I couldn't manage within the given time. To top that, the 4th interviewer came in 50 minutes late.

Overall, you can see a lot of people saying how the company is quite disrespectful towards candidates. They are right and I've experienced it first hand. Also, the recruiter never responded to my emails. Whenever the recruiter needed to talk, she'd call and not even acknowledge the emails that I sent. Would avoid at all costs, unless there was no other option.

Interview Questions

• Java HashMap, List interface and its implementations, Abstract classes, Interface, Design patterns and an algorithmic question in the end   Answer Question

Fix Income Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I submitted my application in Oct, recorded a video interview (basic questions e.g. introduce yourself). Got a phone interview the next March. Drilled on every detail in your CV.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I interviewed at the New York office. Interviewers were pretty nice and asked a combination of behavioral and technical questions. Make sure you can talk about the market and have some basic understanding about statistics. Having some computer science background would be a plus for the researcher role, so just be aware.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied on website
    Took Online web interview on same day.
    Got email asking for scholarship essay.
    Got invitation to interview on campus
    I applied for multi assets and alternative investments based on my background but was assigned to interview for quant based equity +fixed income and trading/ Liquidites team. This mismatch truly deprived me of the opportunity to impress them with my background as they were specifically looking for candidates with quants and IT background.

Interview Questions

• It varies for different individuals based on your back ground. Interview questions are asked based on what you say ok the spot. So I suggest you know your content and know about the company.
      Some technical and some behavioral (team based questions)
      If you have a finance back ground or CFA candidacy on your resume: questions include,
      DCF Analysis
      Million dollar portfolio allocation
      Sharpe ratio , hedging, credit default swaps , interest rate parity, etc   1 Answer

Investment Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

2 Phone Screens, In-Person w/ 2 sets of managers, In-Person Presentation followed by Q&A and several manager 1:1's. A mixture of behavioral and analytical questions; know current market trends and events.

A lot of emphasis on "Why BlackRock"...I came from a competitor so they wanted to know why I wanted to work for them specifically.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

The first day was two interviews, both were one on one. Got called back for another 2 interviews the next day. Did not get the offer unfortunately. I was interviewing for Beta Strategy.

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I'm a contractor so I interviewed with an agency and it took a while to get an interview at BlackRock. I was prepared and knew I did well. I read up on the company culture, projects, etc.

Interview Questions

• What do I know about the company and if I have any questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Interview process was serious. I came in person and I met with an HR manager for an informational interview. A week later I was called in for a meet & greet with the Director of the team. I was asked about my education and experience. I felt the person interviewing me wanted to know if my personality was a fit for the team. The questions weren't difficult, but at the same time be prepared to give a well thought out answer.