BlackRock Interview Questions in Edinburgh, Scotland | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 29, 2016

2.9

Fund Reporting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied through a recruiter from BlackRock, and a few days later an interview was arranged at the Edinburgh office. Met with the team and the team leader. The interview was competency based.

Software Engineer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online in November 2015 for a software engineering work placement, got a call in January 2016 and was invited for the interview next week. Interview was held in Edinburgh with 3 team members. We went through my CV, projects I've done and my technical skills. The general atmosphere was relaxing and the interview was very enjoyable. Next day I got the offer.

Interview Questions

• what do you know about Blackrock?
      what was the biggest challenge you've had so far?
      questions regarding your work within a team.
      why should we take you?
      describe something from your personal experience that you regret about or would change?
      what is oop,inheritance,polymorphism.
      Answer Question

Analyst, Aladdin and Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at BlackRock (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

Applied with CV and cover letter in September and didn't hear from them until November but everything moved quite quickly from there. First stage was a one sided video interview with 3 questions, 25 seconds to prepare and 1.30 minutes to answer.
    Within 2 days I was asked to the assessment centre in Edinburgh. 3 20 minute interviews with 2 interviers in each one. Everyone was very friendly, nothing too challenging. Hour long shl logic test which was pretty tough then 15 minute interview with the Director. She just wanted to ask you about your interests and figure out where you'd best fit.
    They go through your CV in detail so know it back to front. Be able to speak about new technologies and where your strong tech skills lie and of course, why Blackrock.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate because I was happy with the terms

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview process was good. It was informal to start which made you feel a little more relaxed, and all staff were friendly. Around two days after I submitted my application I was asked to complete a short video interview (which took around 10 minutes). After this, I was invited to the assessment centre which consisted of 4 interviews and a technical test.

Interview Questions

• If a family member came to you for advice because their laptop was running slow, and buying a new one wasn't an option, what would you recommend?   Answer Question

Investments - Equities - Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

I apply via company's site. After 2 weeks they sent me an email and invited me to a pre-recorded video interview. After a month I had an answer about the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want o work for BlackRock and particularly for this department?   1 Answer

CTS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BlackRock (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

The initial interview was held at their office with two members of staff - one in the room with me, one by video conference from the US. I was expecting more of a competency-based approach (because the agency told me that's what it'd be) but, in fact, it was a set of relatively informal interview questions with the purpose to assess suitability to take forward to the next stage (typical interview questions and discussion - talked about what I'd done in my career do far, what I wanted to do in the future, why I wanted this role etc). This interview lasted around 50 minutes.

A few days after the initial interview I was informed they'd like me to come back for a second interview in a couple of weeks, which was scheduled to be a 5 stage event all crammed into one afternoon. The day started with a Brainbench 'Programmer/Analyst Appitude' test - I was given a laptop and left alone to to complete around 30 to 40 questions within the hour time limit. I took around 45 minutes, and the questions weren't especially difficult (I found out afterwards that it seems to be an off-the-shelf test that you can buy online, it didn't seem to be customised for BlackRock). I was keen to know how well I did but it doesn't tell you your score at the end, sadly. Once finished, I had to just sit and wait until the hour was up until someone came back to take the laptop away.

Shortly afterwards, two existing members of staff came along to do stage 2 - a panel style interview, both asking fairly standard interview questions... nothing too taxing. Both were fairly personable and easy to talk to. This stage was due to last 45 minutes but with around 5 minutes still to go, the 3rd stage interviewer walked into the room without introduction before sitting herself down which seemed to signal stage 2 needed to wrap up. Even though the time was almost up anyway, it did feel a bit premature - however, the two stage 2 interviewers wrapped up and left the room.

The stage 3 interviewer finally introduced herself, and even though this stage was only meant to be 15 minutes, I don't think it even lasted that long - it was perhaps only 10 minutes. She asked a couple of questions related to some specific scenarios, but didn't seem interested in anything I said - incredibly, she spent most of the time 'playing' on her phone (I couldn't see what she was doing - I'd like to hope it was some important work issue rather than Candy Crush, but I'll never know). I did at one point wonder if this was a test - should I say something, should I ask if she needs to leave to attend to something? I didn't and, in hindsight, perhaps I should've because it was clear she was not listening to my answers so there was no point in either of us being here. Having already discovered that this person would be my manager, how could I work for someone who thinks this is acceptable behaviour? I've never witnessed such rudeness in an interview scenario, so I'd now pretty much mentally resigned myself to this not being the job for me - all thanks to this one particular interaction. This stage was mercifully short, the interviewer left and I waited for someone to collect me and take me to another room for stage 4.

Stage 4 was a video conference with a member of staff in the US for 30 minutes. It was relatively informal, more of the style of stage 2. I'm not a huge fan of video conferencing, it seems to lose something that you get compared to being there in person, but it seemed to go quite well. This stage wrapped up and I waited to be collected and taken to stage 5 but, when I was collected, it was to show me out. What happened to stage 5? I'll never know - I could've asked but, frankly, I'd already decided I didn't want to work for a company whose senior staff think it's acceptable to treat candidates in the way I'd witnessed - it hints at real problems with the organisational culture and not something I'd want to be part of.

A few weeks later I got some feedback that they wouldn't be offering me the role, which was a relief, because I wouldn't have accepted it (the feedback was apparently that I was a good candidate, but they weren't convinced I really wanted it - which is very likely true, I'm sure having mentally checked out during stage 3 it would've come across in my subsequent answers). Would I apply for any roles at BlackRock in the future? I'm not sure I would... did I get a glimpse of some of the real organisational culture in stage 3, or was it just a bad day? At the very least, I'd have to give additional consideration whether I'd apply for anything at BlackRock in the future as what I saw this time around was not particularly attractive.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about BlackRock?   1 Answer

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Interview

It was a very easy interview process. The assessment center was the actual fun part with activities going on for a few hours. I cracked all the rounds, I think the most difficult one was the technical interview.

Interview Questions

• What technologies have your previously worked on and why did you choose these technologies above others?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

40 minute interview, mainly biographical going through my cv in more detail, only 1 competency question (value added service) quite informal. Interview on Friday, follow up meeting with dept head the following Thursday, call with HR the next day, and offer on the Monday. Very smooth process.

Interview Questions

• Mainly based around my cv. 1 competency q asked - give a time you gave a value added service.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

Worst interview in my life. Interviewer was arrogant and rude. He didn´t even look at my face. He just sat there looking at the wall while I was answering his questions. For a moment I thought he was blind.
    He constantly interrupted all my answers making me start again but in other words. I had to improvise several different answers for each question on the run and once and again he interrupted me and asked the same in a menacing tone, as if I were giving him the wrong answer. Some of the questions were so self explanatory that I can't think of anything that could have bothered him. (the tasks I did in my previous job, what did I study, etc). If that guy was expected to be my future boss I'm glad I failed that interview. Oh, and they didn't even bothered to send me an email to say I was rejected.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how to invest 1m dollars, tell me about a time you had to meet a deadline, about a time you had to motivate others, about a time you had to do something that no one else could do, about a time you worked in a team...   Answer Question

Performance and Attribution, Edinburgh Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

typical competency based interview touching on group work, communication skills and MS Excel skills. Very laid back. Second interview came in a week, with the actual hiring manager, it was only 30 minutes and it was more informal and focused on the role. It is important you ask question at the end of the interview as it really intrigues them.