BlackRock Interview Questions in London, England | Glassdoor

Updated May 21, 2017

3.2

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Standard interview, no stand out technical questions.
    Team came across very nice and wanted to know my approach to specific situations and whether the role would be a fit. Met with 6 people across the business and HR in total.

Interview Questions

• What legislation is going to immediately affect our business   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

There were three rounds interviews. The first two rounds were technical interviews and the last round was a motivational interview. I found the technical questions not hard. They were basic Java OOP concepts and some simple SQL knowledge.

Business Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Was fast tracked to the assessment centre after not getting the role that I originally applied for. It consisted of 2 back to back 30 minute interviews each with two interviewers.
    The interviews were relaxed with motivational and competency based questions. There was also a technical "pop quiz" at the end of one of them which weren't too difficult, I did get a couple out of 6 questions wrong though.

Interview Questions

• CV specific questions, what is going on in the markets that blackrock should be aware of? What is the current BoE base rate? What is the ftse100 trading at? Name two other indexes. What is a basis point? Difference between fund and etf? What is a db and dc pension fund?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Went through a process of 10 interviews including hr. Covered technical, business, culture fit. Interviews were tough but fair and commensurate for the position. In terms of location, 3 interviews were at the location of the firm while the rest were all over the phone. This is most likely because the hiring manager was outside the country. I got the job so no complaints.

Portfolio Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Two interviews over HireVue platform with current employees of the company. After those, they flew me to the London HQ for three more interviews with senior staff and a problem solving test.
    Except for one particular interviewer, everyone was very friendly and the interviews were enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• What do you do to stay up to date with the financial markets?
      What do you know about BlackRock?
      Walk me through your CV.
      Answer Question

Equities Spring Insight Week Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Online application form -> video "cover letter" -> 2 x 30 minute interviews with equity researchers in their London office. The video cover letter was by Hirevue and asked typical questions such as Why BlackRock and how would your degree help. Following this, I was invited to interview in London. The interviews were quite challenging as they challenged many of my answers to see if I could defend them. I'm not sure exactly what they were looking for, but I expect they wanted to see someone who could defend their argument and wasn't afraid to have an opinion.

Analyst - Portfolio Analytics Group Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

First round: video interview
    Second round: Assessment Center
    Third round: telephone interview

Mostly competency questions and normal interview questions. Fair questions.

Video interview: two individual interviews, 30 minutes each.

Assessment Center: four individual interviews, including one problem-solving session (different from online tests, more similar to mini case studies).

Telephone interview: two individual interviews, 30 minutes each.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Standard telephone interview were i was asked about my motivation for the FIG Business Manager Associate role and generally about my background.
    The interview was a week later with the global head of the Financial institutions Group, who asked very unusual questions about my background. All questions were fairly intrusive and related to my personal life, and intimate parts of my personal relationship with my family and parents. It's not possible to prepare for this interview since there was not a single competency or knowledge based interview.
    I never received any feedback from the interview from HR, neither in form of a phone call, personal email or even automated email. I tired contacting them myself but was unsuccessful.

Aladdin Client Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied via the website. The interview process had 3 stages.
    First, a "virtual cover letter" on a platform called Hirevue. You basically get two questions, have about a minute to prepare and then a minute or so to record an answer via the webcam. The questions were:
    1. Why BlackRock?
    2. Why did you chose your major
    The second stage was a phone/video interview. I was confused at first, because the video is via the computer but the actual talking is over the phone (at least with me; you have to call a number and dial in with a code you get by email). There are two 30 min interviews. If there are any problems, there is also a chat function where you can write your interviewer directly if there are problems. The first interview was more general, the second a little more competency/personality/ thought process based. Some questions were:
    - Walk me through your CV
    - Difference asset management/investment banking
    - Describe how you think the market will behave in the next 5 years and how do you see BlackRock Solutions' in these 5 years.
    - Interest in BlackRock
    - Interest in ACS
    - Describe the concept of a database to a 5 year old
    - Think of a complex concept and explain it to me as simple as possible in 1 min
    - What is teamwork to you
    - How do you react when something happens and you have a lot more work in a team
    The third and final stage was an assessment center. It was essentially made up of 4 interviews of different types.
    1. 30 min one on one
    2. 30 min one on one
    3. Numerical reasoning
    4. Group exercise
    Some of the questions were:
    - What are long hours for you
    - Are you prepared to work long hours
    - Tell me about yourself
    - What is a derivative
    - How would you invest 1 million
    - Unix question
    - Interest in ACS
    - Would you rather be creative or efficient
    - Describe a time you failed and recovered
    - What is stress for you and how do you deal with it
    The numerical interview was (unlike shl tests) kind of case study-esque. They ask you a question and you need to think about it and ask for the relevant info and calculate the right answer. My interviewer didn't even explain it and I feel didn't even understand it himself so ask a lot of questions here. The group exercise was made up of reading, discussing in the group and presenting. Speak up and be inclusive. You are watched closely by the assessors.
    All in all very good atmosphere. Quite conversational and relaxed. They like when you ask questions and if they feel like you did some research i.e. didn't just apply on a whim but actually read what the department and the company does etc.

Interview Questions

• Why BlackRock?
      Why did you chose your major
       Walk me through your CV
       Difference asset management/investment banking
       Interest in BlackRock
       Interest in ACS
       Describe the concept of a database to a 5 year old
       Think of a complex concept and explain it to me as simple as possible in 1 min
       What is teamwork to you
       How do you react when something happens and you have a lot more work in a team
       What are long hours for you
       Are you prepared to work long hours
       Tell me about yourself
       What is a derivative
       How would you invest 1 million
       Unix question
       Interest in ACS
       Would you rather be creative or efficient
       Describe a time you failed and recovered
       What is stress for you and how do you deal with it
      1 Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The initial stage is done through HireVue, the next stage consists of 2 interviews with current employees. Everyone was very friendly and willing to help. The HireVue part it's a virtual cover letter where you talk about your motivation to apply for the role.