BlackRock Interview Questions in London, England | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 24, 2017

3.2

Equities Spring Insight Week Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Online application form -> video "cover letter" -> 2 x 30 minute interviews with equity researchers in their London office. The video cover letter was by Hirevue and asked typical questions such as Why BlackRock and how would your degree help. Following this, I was invited to interview in London. The interviews were quite challenging as they challenged many of my answers to see if I could defend them. I'm not sure exactly what they were looking for, but I expect they wanted to see someone who could defend their argument and wasn't afraid to have an opinion.

Aladdin Client Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied via the website. The interview process had 3 stages.
    First, a "virtual cover letter" on a platform called Hirevue. You basically get two questions, have about a minute to prepare and then a minute or so to record an answer via the webcam. The questions were:
    1. Why BlackRock?
    2. Why did you chose your major
    The second stage was a phone/video interview. I was confused at first, because the video is via the computer but the actual talking is over the phone (at least with me; you have to call a number and dial in with a code you get by email). There are two 30 min interviews. If there are any problems, there is also a chat function where you can write your interviewer directly if there are problems. The first interview was more general, the second a little more competency/personality/ thought process based. Some questions were:
    - Walk me through your CV
    - Difference asset management/investment banking
    - Describe how you think the market will behave in the next 5 years and how do you see BlackRock Solutions' in these 5 years.
    - Interest in BlackRock
    - Interest in ACS
    - Describe the concept of a database to a 5 year old
    - Think of a complex concept and explain it to me as simple as possible in 1 min
    - What is teamwork to you
    - How do you react when something happens and you have a lot more work in a team
    The third and final stage was an assessment center. It was essentially made up of 4 interviews of different types.
    1. 30 min one on one
    2. 30 min one on one
    3. Numerical reasoning
    4. Group exercise
    Some of the questions were:
    - What are long hours for you
    - Are you prepared to work long hours
    - Tell me about yourself
    - What is a derivative
    - How would you invest 1 million
    - Unix question
    - Interest in ACS
    - Would you rather be creative or efficient
    - Describe a time you failed and recovered
    - What is stress for you and how do you deal with it
    The numerical interview was (unlike shl tests) kind of case study-esque. They ask you a question and you need to think about it and ask for the relevant info and calculate the right answer. My interviewer didn't even explain it and I feel didn't even understand it himself so ask a lot of questions here. The group exercise was made up of reading, discussing in the group and presenting. Speak up and be inclusive. You are watched closely by the assessors.
    All in all very good atmosphere. Quite conversational and relaxed. They like when you ask questions and if they feel like you did some research i.e. didn't just apply on a whim but actually read what the department and the company does etc.

Interview Questions

• Why BlackRock?
      Why did you chose your major
       Walk me through your CV
       Difference asset management/investment banking
       Interest in BlackRock
       Interest in ACS
       Describe the concept of a database to a 5 year old
       Think of a complex concept and explain it to me as simple as possible in 1 min
       What is teamwork to you
       How do you react when something happens and you have a lot more work in a team
       What are long hours for you
       Are you prepared to work long hours
       Tell me about yourself
       What is a derivative
       How would you invest 1 million
       Unix question
       Interest in ACS
       Would you rather be creative or efficient
       Describe a time you failed and recovered
       What is stress for you and how do you deal with it
      1 Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The initial stage is done through HireVue, the next stage consists of 2 interviews with current employees. Everyone was very friendly and willing to help. The HireVue part it's a virtual cover letter where you talk about your motivation to apply for the role.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I completed the virtual cover letter questions and was called to interview in the London office a few weeks later. This was 2x 30 min one-to-one interviews and then a group business case presentation. It took one month after the final round interview to find out the outcome.

Analyst - Portfolio Analytics Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)).

Interview

2 rounds of interviews:
    1st round: Two webcam based 30 minute long interviews with two different interviewers.
    At that stage, both interviewers asked more or less the same questions. Their questions were mainly regarding my education, my previous work experience as well as my international exposure. The style of these 1st round interviews was rather casual.
    2nd round: Assessment center on location (London). Three separate 30 minute interviews and one 20 minute numerical aptitude test.
    Surprisingly, there were almost no repeat questions in these three separate 1:1 interviews, all of them were interesting.

Interview Questions

• All types of questions were featured: Questions about my CV, education and work experience, as well as some technical and behavioral questions. Most of them were fairly standard though.
      Some examples:
      Q: Why are you interested in finance? Tell me about a recent development in the financial world.
      Q: Tell me about a situation in which you had to work as part of a team. What role did you take in that instance?
      Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

On line cv and first round interview after two months. The hirevue thing is kind of difficult to get access to and you have to be on the phone while you are in video

Corporate- Audit- Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

After the online application and digital cover letter. There is the one hour video interview
    You will have 2 x 30 minutes interviews with members of the Audit team, via HireVue, our live video interviewing platform.
    I interviewed with a male and a female. Both of them are the VP of the department. The questions are all competency based. Use STAR format to prepare and you should be fine.
    Good luck on your interviews

Summer Analyst - Alternatives Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Had a 5min virtual interview as the first stage after my online application submission. This had two questions about the company. Then, getting through to the next stage I had two 30min live video interviews with two alternative investment analysts at Blackrock. Very friendly people and do make you feel comfortable and very supportive with guiding me to answer my questions (maybe because I'm not from a financial background).

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume
      Why apply for Alternatives?
      What would you do with $100m?
      What is correlation?
      Give me a time you have conducted research?
      Do you think the environment has an effect on the asset management industry?
      Answer Question

Financial Market Advisory Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

It was a video interview including 2 questions. The first one is why you apply to BlackRock, basic one. About 90 seconds to prepare and 90 seconds to answer.Second one I needed to answer in German Because I apply the job in Frankfurt. It was a bit difficult but not quite technical

Interview Questions

• Explain how you chose your academic area of study and how you will use it in your career.
      (Please answer it in the local language of the office, e.g, German)
      1 Answer

Analyst - Portfolio Analytics Group Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlackRock (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

I went to two Blackrock networking events before applying online. If you pass the online application, you'll be invited to do virtual cover letter. One month later, I heard back and was invited to do first round interview via Hirevue.