BlackRock Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BlackRock Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

I attended the BlackRock super day in San Fran. I had 4 different interviewers and interviewed for about 4 hours. Some of the guys asked a few investment questions so make sure you know what the Nasdaq is at and what the difference between a stock and a bond is.

Interview Questions

• One guy asked a really hard SQL question. I feel that if you have that question and get it right, you will probably get a position. He first asked a sorta easy sql question. The question is that you have a list of portfolios. You also have a list of portGroups (basically a group of protfolios). If firsts asks you to create a table to hold some data for both these values. Make sure you don't create two separate tables with keys! He wants to see that you can create one table and use both the portfolio number AND the portGroup number as the primary key.

Next (the hard part), he asked you to pretend that a portGroup is a 'parent' of a portfolio (the child). He asked for me to write some sql joins that would return the parent of the grandparents of a specific portfolio.

I honestly still don't understand it. It makes a lot more sense if you right out an example with numbers. You could also try and search online for something similar to this. I guess the key takeaway is to know how to do an innerjoin (and other types of joins)
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

I find a alumni to refer, they don't post intern job for graduate this year in my college's career fair. Monday is phone interview, basic question about Java data structure, ask about singleton and what kind of situation will there be more than one instance(multithread). Then Friday's super day. So tired in the final interview the interviewer seems very tired and speak in low volume.

Interview Questions

• Ask a lot about data structure and algorithm, questions are classical, 2sum, find head of cycling linked list, given access to middle node of a linked list and asked to be delete it. And OOD design a elevator system, and some SQL query, basically same as before, but I suggest you guys prepare for a SQL query that return the top node in a hierarchy structure, for example return the manager of the manager of the manager....until the boss, I am still not sure about that. And multithread concept and ATM question, producer/consumer question.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BlackRock in February 2014.

Interview

Called for an on campus interview through college career center. Had just 1 round which was behavioral as well as technical. Questions started generally asking about what i know of the company, why this company, career path etc.
    Tech questions were mostly on data structures. Basically complex ones like trees, Maps, Lists. Also few questions on oop, inheritance, abstraction etc.
    It was straight forward. interviewer also helped a bit.

Interview Questions

• Implement hashMap. Difference Between hashMap and treeMap   Answer Question