BlackRock Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BlackRock Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 15, 2017

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

Start with a coding challenge with hacker rank. This is one of the hardest interviews I ever faced. Had three questions able to complete only one at the given time.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlackRock (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

HR in the company works really slow and doesn't care about any future employee. (A big no if you have other offers)

Pretty Easy Hackerrank test. Level Easy
    Onsite rounds
    two rounds, during the first interview they asked pretty simple things initially. When I answered all the questions, it looked like they ran out of questions and started asking anything (which I didn't really understand, nor they were able to explain).

During the second interview, the interviewer was asking anything but regarding job-related questions. It seems interviewer didn't have enough technical knowledge on the questions that they were asking.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I interviewed at Blackrock in Nov 2016. The process is extremely badly designed, they think they are google and thus they take 6-8 interviews, 1st 4 are some junior analyst level interviewers who are just there to get interview experience and thus waste our time, then come the hiring managers who have no idea how to select candidates in their team and in the end they let most of the candidates go with little or no reason. I would reccomend if you have other offers, make sure Blackrock is the last one.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

Met the recruiter on the university career fair and was asked to applied online.
    After that, I did one online program test(java) and some video recording interview.
    Then was called for superday. There are four rounds, meeting with HR and software engineers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Chaotic! HR does not know what they are doing and are disorganized. Full of miscommunication and last minute cancellations & rescheduling. They even kept wavering with the interview decision communications. Very unprofessional on the scheduling and logistics part. Interviews are normal. Mostly leetcode medium and easy difficulty questions and some OOPS trivia questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock in February 2017.

Interview

completed their hacker rank challenge. And I was invited onsite. before the onsite, I asked in an email about the interview process and was told the morning sessions would be technical. It turned out to be more than 7 rounds of interviews through out the day. At some point, I asked my interviewer in the afternoon, "how many more rounds?" because at some point, you are just very tired mentally. But seemed like my interviewer had no idea and told me to wait in the room and see if anyone else will come in.
    And you would think .... after 7 rounds of interviews, if they were not interested in you, they would either email or call. But non of that happened. Last time I interviewed was 2014, maybe 2017 is one of those year where companies like Blackrock doesn't bother to talk to candidates that they don't want anymore?
    It's just very unfortunate. They will give you an info session about the company and say that their CEO/leadership feel everyone should know a little about finance or the business. During my 7 rounds of interview, no interviewer even spent 1 minute talking about the business.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

The process took 2+ months. Initially contacted by the recruiter with HackerRank Challenge, a phone interview week after that and 4 Technical onsite interviews. Took 4+ weeks to respond with final decision.

Interview Questions

• HackerRank Coding Challenge
          - 2 simple JavaScript
          - 5 Sql
          - 1 Java
          - Submit link of project or GitHub

Phone Interview
          - Introduction
          - Resume, projects, courses
          - Be a student of the market – pay close attention to the financial markets and how different events affect the industry.

Onsite Inteview
          - About resume and other behavioural
          - Swap integers without extra space
          - Merge 2 sorted arrays
          - Hashmap
          - Reverse a string
      Elevator design
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Nicely designed, 4 back-to-back interviews, mixed behavior and technical questions. You should prepare a lot for Java concept questions such as the difference between Concurrent HashMap and synchronized HashMap and perhaps low-level knowledge.
    Asked about your background related to finance, why BlackRock? What do you want to get from BlackRock? Things like these.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied online and then given a hirevue coding test + video interview question. The coding test was pretty standard java string questions and the hirevue video interview just asked why you majored in what you major. I do not know what comes next as thats all I got to. I assume the next step would be an onsite or phone interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

These is the description of video record and coding challenge. For video record, only one simplest behavior question. The coding challenge is a progressive problem, from simple string input process to finally sort string array.

Interview Questions

• For coding challenge, first they give you one string, using some special character to separate different stocks, and ask you to standardize them. Then the question become more and more difficult, like select the most profitable stock but each question can use the method in previous questions.   Answer Question