BlackRock Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BlackRock Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 14, 2017

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

Met the recruiter on the university career fair and was asked to applied online.
After that, I did one online program test(java) and some video recording interview.
Then was called for superday. There are four rounds, meeting with HR and software engineers.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Nicely designed, 4 back-to-back interviews, mixed behavior and technical questions. You should prepare a lot for Java concept questions such as the difference between Concurrent HashMap and synchronized HashMap and perhaps low-level knowledge.
    Asked about your background related to finance, why BlackRock? What do you want to get from BlackRock? Things like these.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied online and then given a hirevue coding test + video interview question. The coding test was pretty standard java string questions and the hirevue video interview just asked why you majored in what you major. I do not know what comes next as thats all I got to. I assume the next step would be an onsite or phone interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

These is the description of video record and coding challenge. For video record, only one simplest behavior question. The coding challenge is a progressive problem, from simple string input process to finally sort string array.

Interview Questions

• For coding challenge, first they give you one string, using some special character to separate different stocks, and ask you to standardize them. Then the question become more and more difficult, like select the most profitable stock but each question can use the method in previous questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Received an offer for the internship last year, but declined it. Returned to apply online to the full time position (was not reached out to by HR). First step is an online coding project/challenge, pretty extensive (takes several hours). Very disappointed to be told that there were no more spots for the year. Disrespect of my time. HR should take down out of date postings, especially ones that require such a time commitment to apply to.

Interview Questions

• coding project, as mentioned above.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

They asked to solve hackerRank test. Completed and recruiter directly called onsite saying I did hackerRank pretty well and they are skipping phone screening. Onsite 1 week later. 4 rounds all technical. Data Structure questions. Average level questions. Nothing unsolvable, simple yet requires in depth understanding of data structure in Java. Final round of onsite was a bit trickier. Was asked programming puzzle, was a bit different type of problem. Interviewer helped me solve the problem, then finally understood the problem type. Barring that problem, was able to solve more or less all other questions. All interviewers very helpful and pretty good. Overall Nice experience.

But on downside, haven't got any reply yet, been 10 days already.No reply to follow-up email either. At least, they should give some feedback after they invite for onsite. Took a day off. So, pretty disappointed.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to array/string manipulations, recursion, Puzzle was a bit unexpected.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Asked to do a coding test online. You have couple week to complete it, fairly easy. It also includes a video response for an interview question. Get invitaion to Superday couple days later.
    4 45-minute interviews back to back. 3 out of 4 consisted technical questions.
    Get offer one day after.

Interview Questions

• Coding test was about Java string manipulation.
      video response:Why BlackRock? why softeware engineer? Why BlackRock choose you?

On site interview questions:
      1. Reserve a string in place

2. Write a method that convert decimal to binary

3. What’s is Singleton

4. What are differences between Array and ArrayList in Java

5. If you are going to design a phone directory, what data structure will you use?

6. Calculates Fibonacci number Do it with recursion, and without recursion:

e.g: I have an array, [3, 5, 4 ]. Return 3rd, 5th, and 4th Fibonacci number and store in an array and

return it.

What’s complexity of your algorithm?

7. Return size of last word in a sentence.

E.g.: String s = “Hello Wang”, return 4

String s2 = “Hello ”, return 5

String s3 = “”, return 0

8. Input is a number > 9. Write a program stops when sum of all digits is less than 10.

e.g. 38, 3+8 = 11; 1+1 = 2, stop

9. What are differences between String, StringBuilder and StringBuffer in Java

Hope it helps :)
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

4 1:1 interview which happened for 45 min each Interview panel was friendly. know your java, algorithms and data structures

what happens when you type a web site name and hit send
    diff between app server and web server
    white board reverse a linked list
    single ton java code
    diff between abstract class and interface

Interview Questions

• white board merge 2 unsorted arrays
      you have a stream of integers randomly coming from some source find top n elements and return it as an array
      some multi threading questions
      some questions on maps, lists
      synchronized block and methods.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn and received an email from Manager after one month. First round was hacker rank test. This test many topics like JavaScript, Java, HTML, CSS, Threads in Java and UML Class diagrams. We also have to upload our any previous written code for any assignment or project. After some days, got the positive feedback from the Manager and asked to schedule 5 video interviews. 4 out of these 5 interviews were technical. They covered topics from core java, design questions, Dynamic programming, threads, Algorithms, Spring and technologies mentioned in my resume. Last video interview was with HR and we discussed about the BlackRock business model and the position roles and responsibilities.
    After this I called onsite for another two rounds. First round was technical and second round was both technical and HR type questions.
    After this I was called to set up one more video interview.

Interview Questions

• Core java, Spring, Hibernate, Threads, JavaScript, Dynamic Programming, Algorithms, recursive programming.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (Wilmington, DE) in June 2016.

Interview

First I got HackerRank Test, I passed It and Then I was called for the interview at company site. There were 4 rounds of interview each 45 minutes. There questions on my resume and other than there were some behavioral questions.