BlackRock Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 4, 2017

3.1

65 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

First Round on campus interview. And they called back the other day to schedule the next's day on site interview. The interview is in the afternoon so had to get up early to catch the flight. Too tired and not much time for lunch. No time for me to prepare.

Interview Questions

• Actually no difficult questions. But they like recursive I think.. Try basic recursive questions and DP questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Apply online before January 10, 2016. Received on campus 30 mins interview on January 28, 2016. Ask to implement a function that can change string into integer. Why BlackRock? Questions? Received onsite 4 hours interview on Febrary 4, 2016.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

Virtual coding assessment and one-minute video interview. There was no time limit for the coding test. The test contains three coding questions, a bonus question as well as a video response.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

A 30 min phone interview followed by a on-site interview. I failed at the first round. They only asked behavior questions in the phone interview. They go through two big projects on my resume. Then they asked me how to use HashMap in JAVA, which is to override the hashcode() and equals() method. Equals method is used to avoid the collision.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I interviewed at Blackrock in Nov 2016. The process is extremely badly designed, they think they are google and thus they take 6-8 interviews, 1st 4 are some junior analyst level interviewers who are just there to get interview experience and thus waste our time, then come the hiring managers who have no idea how to select candidates in their team and in the end they let most of the candidates go with little or no reason. I would reccomend if you have other offers, make sure Blackrock is the last one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlackRock (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

HR in the company works really slow and doesn't care about any future employee. (A big no if you have other offers)

Pretty Easy Hackerrank test. Level Easy
    Onsite rounds
    two rounds, during the first interview they asked pretty simple things initially. When I answered all the questions, it looked like they ran out of questions and started asking anything (which I didn't really understand, nor they were able to explain).

During the second interview, the interviewer was asking anything but regarding job-related questions. It seems interviewer didn't have enough technical knowledge on the questions that they were asking.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at BlackRock in January 2013.

Interview

A very short on campus interview. The question is easy. We need to inverse a sentence without inverse the words. For example, "Carnegie Mellon University" to "University Mellon Carnegie". Then he asked about virtual functions in C++. This position needs some finance background. I think this is the reason that I was rejected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

They are always the same question. The first question is list the data structure you know. The answer is Array, List, Heap, Queue, Stack, Hash, Tree, Graph.
    The second question is how queue and stack work? My answer is FIFO, FILO.
    The third question is Describe the different of array and list. My answer is array is fixed size, and list is dynamically allocated. And array access directly. List access from the first element to the data you want.
    The forth question is how hashmap works? Take an example of how to use it. My answer is a.put("name", "123456");//key is name,value is sting 123456.

The fifth question is let you group the strings you see in many barkets. Actually, I don't understand this question very much. Many people say the answer is hashmap. While it seems that there are better answers. I don't know.

Then I heard the other people be asked write binary tree. How Virtual function works in Java. How to delete duplicate in an N size array with each element from 1 to n.

That's what I know about Blackrock. Their question is no longer changed. Hope everything goes well to you, guys!

Interview Questions

• The fifth question is let you group the strings you see in many barkets. Actually, I don't understand this question very much. Many people say the answer is hashmap. While it seems that there are better answers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

I have an on campus interview. I didn't get any technical questions. The recruiter first introduced the company for me and asked why I was interested in BlackRock. Then he asked me about the most interesting class I have taken. We have talked about the class and the project I have done for that class. Then he asked me the most tricky bug I have solved. At last, he asked me a simple question about array.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the most tricky bug you have encountered.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

I had my first technical interview over the phone where the interviewer shared a document for me to code. It was not a hard question. I was not very well prepared for coding on the stop when someone was looking at my process. Be able to code easy questions under pressure.