Blackboard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Blackboard Interview Questions

Interviews at Blackboard

2.7

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Blackboard in June 2020.

Interview

They are very informative through the process. They are positive and want to know about your communication skills. They asked about past team environments how how you made it work. The overall process was very friendly and a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• what the difference between a dependent and independent student?   2 Answers

Customer Service - Remote Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blackboard in June 2020.

Interview

Returned voice message from internal recruiter. Automated answering system put me through very promptly to the individual that called me. Pleasant experience. Disappointed the pay rate was significantly below the Glassdoor estimated average.

Interview Questions

• First question: Is $11.00/ acceptable?   1 Answer

Tech Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blackboard (Virginia Beach, VA) in May 2020.

Interview

three interviews, one online application, then a phone interview with basic questions about technical support your experience and the company. A video interview is then scheduled for later that week in which detailed questions and information is shared.

Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blackboard (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied online and got a call from HR a few weeks later. I had an initial screening interview with HR, and then a telephone interview with the hiring manager. The telephone interview was pretty easy and went well. It was short, maybe about 20 minutes. After a few days I got a call to set up an in-person interview. The hiring manager did not work at the DC office, so he did not attend the meeting. When I arrived for the interview, a different HR person than the person I spoke with met me, and took me to a tiny telephone room for the interview. The room was intended for employees to make private telephone calls, not for an interview, so I am not kidding when I say it was TINY. It was July, and it was extremely hot in the room. I was seated with my back facing the door. I met with about 3 people in that room. Two were ok, but I got a weird vibe from the third person I met. She seemed catty and unfriendly and like she was trying to trick me with some standard “tough” interview questions. When the head of the department came in to meet with me, and commented on how he couldn’t’ believe they stuck me in that room, and he took me to a normal conference room for our interview. After our interview, he took me back to the tiny room to wait for the HR person to come back. I waited, and waited, and waited, and she didn’t come back for about 20 minutes. I left the room to go find her, but I had no idea where I was. I was so frustrated by this time, because (a) I was boiling hot; (2) I was feeling totally claustrophobic from the tiny room; (3) the interview had run over 3 hours when they said I would only be there for 2; (4) I didn’t really like the people I met with; and (5) I had to get to my then current job and get work done, so I just said F this and got up and left! I wrote thank you emails to some of the people I met with, but not all because I didn’t get their contact information. I didn’t hear anything back for over a month, so I basically gave up on the position and didn’t particularly care. Out of the blue they called me again after more than a month, and asked me to come in for another interview. After that meeting, they made me an offer. I really wanted to get out of my job at that time, and they were offering me a lot more money than I was making, so I accepted even though I didn’t have a good impression of the company based on the interview process. I should have trusted my instincts, because some weird red flags popped up on day 1 of the job, and in the first few months of my employment. It seemed that they never really intended for my position to be a long term hire and they only created the position to make them look good for a particular reason I will not disclose. After 14 months on the job, I was told that my position was being eliminated. I got laid off and got a 6 weeks severance package and my bonus. I ended up getting another job after 3 months, so I didn’t suffer too much, but I will always have a bad impression of Blackboard because taking this job could have completely destroyed my career.

Senior Content Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Blackboard (Austin, TX).

Interview

I was in the interview process for 5 separate jobs concurrently, so I have a few frames of reference. This was a very slow, uncommunicative process: nearly 4 weeks between initial HR phone screen to manager phone screen. They repeatedly missed their own deadlines to provide me feedback, so I was actively following up. Everyone I spoke with was professional and nice enough, but this was the only position for which I was interviewing that didn't actively explore my portfolio as part of the process. This was a backfill position, and it didn't sound like they had the role very clearly defined (they requested additional technical documentation samples, which suggested they may have actually wanted a technical writer, while the rest of the team comes from an instructional design background). The 30-minute phone screen with the manager had a very poor connection and was very rushed. I wasn't invited for an onsite interview and accepted a competing offer.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about your technical communication experience."   Answer Question

Software Engineer() Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Blackboard (Indianapolis, IN) in September 2019.

Interview

Overall, my experience through the interview process was subpar to say the best. I applied online through Glassdoor, I received an email about a week later and spoke with a recruiter from Atlanta - who was very friendly, positive, and open-minded. He set up the technical screening a few days later. This is where it went not so well on their part, right from the start. After introductions, I was asked to talk a little about myself and some projects I've recently worked on. I maybe got halfway through and they cut me off before I could get to my skills or projects I've done, saying "okay okay, that's good enough, let's move on." Then they asked me skill level questions and moved onto coding problems, but I felt rushed throughout it all. I understand that my skills may have not been good enough to solve the problems, but to rush me and continuously get cut off in the middle of trying to answer the questions and solve the problems was quite off-putting, and disrespectful to me as a candidate.

I was also concerned that they had someone on their first week there interviewing me. It took me a LONG time to start interviewing people at previous companies, so I'm a little curious as to why Blackboard chose to have someone they JUST hired to do interviewing for them - especially when they have no experience there, and aren't even comfortable with their culture yet. When I asked them a few questions about the company, all the good things they had to say was good work/life balance (which was the only good thing I caught), how they enjoy the beer runs, and how often there are parties. Doesn't really seem like a place I would want to do business with, so even if I am offered the position I will be taking my business elsewhere. Thanks, but no thanks.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself, some of yours skills, and some projects you've recently worked on.   1 Answer
    • They asked me scaling questions with different languages/programming libraries and were going to ask me questions dependent upon my ratings - "On a scale of 1-5, how would you rate your knowledge of these" - From what I remember, they asked to scale my knowledge in Java, C#, Vanilla JavaScript, some JS libraries I was not familiar with, jQuery, Node, HTML5, and CSS3.   2 Answers

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blackboard (Greenville, SC).

Interview

Thorough, combination of assessment and supervisor/hr interview. Very informative. Interviewers provided good information about work hours, responsibilities, job and expectations. Received a very good job preview, and understood what would be expected.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Somerset, KY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Blackboard (Somerset, KY) in June 2019.

Interview

I was reapplying for rehire. I was eligible and recommended for rehire. Givin a schedule.Then they asked for a background check. I admitted to having a felony.when I was originally hire i was on probation,no license. Now that I've graduated probation.,got license back they would hire me.

Interview Questions

• What skills to do have to do your job correctly   1 Answer

Contracts Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Blackboard in April 2019.

Interview

The Interview process was comprehensive, and in my case, all interviews were by phone, which can be challenging since the interviewee does not have the face to face experience and personal presentation. However, I can honestly say that all four interview calls were pleasurable. My first call was with Sr. Recruiter, 2nd with direct manager, 3rd with two Directors of contracts, and 4th with Sr. Director and Deputy GC. EVERY person I spoke with gave me a great overview of the position and company, asked poignant and intelligent questions about my skills and experience, and not one interviewer had an intimidating demeanor or air.

Interview Questions

• As stated above, Interview questions were poignant to my skills and experience with contracts and agreement terms; conversations revolved about challenging negotiations.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Blackboard.

Interview

Very drawn out. I do believe the HR rep about the team boss being busy. I saw first hand during my interview. But I’m going to assume I’m not getting the job as it’s been over 2 weeks since I interviewed. My profile says I’m still being considered but, judging from other Glassdoor reviews, if they ghost you that means that you didn’t get it. I truly wanted that job and wanted I help the company but I would have appreciated a notification.

Also the team seemed to dislike each other. Everyone talked bad about one of my first interviewers. The 2 senior analysts seemed to hate their boss. It was weird. Perhaps I dodged a bullet

Interview Questions

• How well do you handle multiple projects with different deadlines?   Answer Question