Cover image for Blizzard Entertainment

Engaged Employer

Add an Interview

Blizzard Entertainment Associate Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 4, 2020

To filter interviews, or .
Found 13 of over 504 interviews

Recruiter8%
3.1
HardAverageEasy

Blizzard Entertainment

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in Jul 2020

Interview

The process involved an hour-long phone interview with members of the team I'm interviewing with, a fairly in-depth programming test, another interview going over the coding test, then a large multi-person video interview (probably in-person during non-covid times) with people from various disciplines. Blizzard's interview process has been by far my favorite that I've gone through. The people I talked to were all super friendly and really gave off the vibe that they wanted me to succeed. Did a great job at making me feel comfortable during interviews. Pretty much my only complaint is that it took a while to get through the whole process.

Interview Questions
  • Reference vs value types in C#.
    Answer Question
4 people found this interview helpful

Blizzard Entertainment

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in Jan 2020

Interview

Started with a phone call with my recruiter, then a following phone call with the technical lead for my team. After that was the last step, an on-site interview with multiple rounds.

Interview Questions
  • Which of the 7 core values do you most closely align with?
Be the first to find this interview helpful

What people are saying about Blizzard Entertainment

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Blizzard Entertainment

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment

Interview

From me applying to getting an offer letter took about 2 months. In this time I had a screener interview with the recruiter, a technical phone screen with the hiring manager (team lead), 75-minute online assessment, and then a half-day onsite interview. Everyone in the process was super nice and friendly. The entire process seemed organized and was scheduled well.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Blizzard Entertainment

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in Feb 2019

Interview

I did 2 code tests and passed them. One was more leetcode type and the other one was more towards my specialization. After that I had a phone call interview, which went good. I got rejected soon after with an automated message. Blizzard is notorious for hiring great talented people and paying them super low below industry standards. They said I had low experience even for the lowest possible job available. Keep in mind I have a masters degree in my specialization and a passion for working in my field. Don't bother applying here. They pay you super low, they do a lot of crunch time and They don't bother replying to candidates personally who are later into the interview stage. If you are a fan of games keep in mind games is a low paying industry with most of the money going to the management and people higher up in the chain.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in Oct 2016

Interview

If you get a chance to go to the on-site interview, be prepared to have fun! Everyone is super nice and relaxed, so just focus on being yourself and everything will be great on that front. Make sure to study everything on the job requirements list, and feel comfortable talking about it. I was already familiar with some of the tech stack for the job, but I am the type to almost overstudy before a test, so I think it's worth it to go over details before going in. However, I felt like the people interviewing me really wanted me to do well and that helped to calm me down and focus on answering questions. Blizzard places a lot of weight on culture fit, so make sure that you really want to be there (and trust me, if you are into their games/ gaming culture, you do want to be there lol). They do ask some culture questions, so it helps if you can be sincere. Even if I didn't get an offer, I still felt like overall it was a great experience! Good luck!

Interview Questions
10 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA)

Interview

I applied a few months ago for the position through their careers site. But recently added a recruiter on LinkedIn and was contacted within the week. There was an initial call to let me know of my candidacy, and they would like for me to complete a programming task. I heard back a week later about the results of my submission, and they asked to have an onsite interview.

Interview Questions
  • Questions regarding algorithms, data structures, and knowledge based.
5 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in Mar 2016

Interview

Two weeks after applying online, a recruiter emailed me asking to schedule a phone screen. The phone screen lasted about 10 minutes, and he asked me for my desired salary up front. The phone interview was scheduled three days from that point. I messed up the interview horribly, and sure enough two days later I got the email, "You are encouraged to apply again in the not too distant future", which was nice. P.S. You know those "Questions to ask your interviewer" articles? My interviewer literally said, "Wow that's a really generic question". I'm never asking those again. Either ask a good question or don't ask any at all.

Interview Questions
8 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in Mar 2016

Interview

First was sent a relatively simple, but substantial, coding challenge, and after my code was evaluated by the team I was asked to come in for an on site. The on site was all day, and consisted of working with another interviewing candidate (for a different position) and one of the team's engineers on a simple networked game. Was a lot of fun, though I had some small problems given that my paired partner was significantly older and more experienced than myself, and it made the interaction somewhat difficult for me. A brief one on one with the team manager about my interest in the role, etc. concluded the day. It was mostly about culture fit, etc.

Interview Questions
5 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 months. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in Oct 2015

Interview

First off, I am a huge fan of Blizzard franchises and I really wanted to work for them. But honestly, I am quite disappointed after the interview process (not because I didn't get an offer), it was the worst interview experience I have so far. Blizzard's interview process made me feel very unwelcome compared to other big companies that I applied to. It took almost a month between each stage in the interview process. The recruiter's communication was terrible. They act as if they don't value your talent. I almost decided not to go for the on-site interview just because of the lousy recruiter, but in the end I still went there just because I wanted to visit Blizzard's headquarter. The onsite interview questions were reasonable, not easy, not hard. You should be able to do them if you have been practicing the questions in these famous interview prep books. Almost a month later, I received an automatic rejection email, sent by a Blizzard's mail bot. Maybe my required salary was too high for an Associate position, maybe they found someone else better, maybe both, I will never know. But the worst thing is that the recruiter didn't even have enough courtesy to write me a proper rejection email, it was just an email sent by Blizzard's mail bot with even incorrect content - it says that I am rejected after the phone interview stage(?) - which made me wonder if that email was some kind of mistake, but I don't even care to find out anymore. I still wrote the recruiter a proper "thank you" email just to be respectful but he didn't even bother replying to that one either. So overall, super disappointing interview process, very bad recruiters, and lousy salary. Blizzard has some great minds that have been creating super awesome games and getting a job there is definitely a wonderful thing, but they should put more attention to the quality of their recruiters or else more people will be driven away from them like me, especially when they only pay below average salary.

Interview Questions
  • Normal questions that you often see in the interview prep books. Not easy, not hard.
20 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in Oct 2015

Interview

Got an phone interview with four people, and had done a take home challenge. The onsite was generally good. All interviewers were friendly. Before entering the real person interview, I was asked to complete a code challenge in a small room, which they told me I did quite well. They didn't really ask me to code, just conversation about what I have done and my experiences. Some of them said they were impressed by my ability of front end. The feedback I got was they think I am too junior, and seems to have more interest in other field rather than the position. I think it is just a way to turn me down because according to other interviewers said, the ability in that field is what they are looking for, and it's a big plus. I have no idea why did they have the idea "I am too junior" since I answered all the questions well and didn't screw it up. Plus, it's "Associate Software Engineer". But I wasn't sad that much, the pay in Irvine is ridiculous. The recruiter is good by the way, always got me updated after every interview.

Interview Questions
8 people found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Interviews