KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Is this your company?

Add an Interview

Blizzard Entertainment Game Designer Interview Questions

Updated Dec 14, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 9 of over 490 interviews

Employee Referral22%
3.3
HardAverageEasy

Blizzard Entertainment

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment

Interview

This was by far the best interview experience I have had. I worked with a recruiter. They consistently kept me up to date and ensured that my anxiety was as low as possible. The team was efficient and flexible. I could not have asked for a better experience.

Interview Questions
  • It's standard to complete design tests. However, I would say their design test was more challenging than others that I have done. After completing the test, expect to go over the test with the team. They'll challenge your ideas and ask you to elaborate and build on your answers.
    Answer Question

Blizzard Entertainment

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment

Interview

Initial application and brief phone interview with a recruiter followed up by a second interview with the team that you would be working under. Second interview was slightly strange, and mic quality on the interviewer's end was very poor and made understanding some questions difficult. Aside from that, the interview was fairly standard.

Interview Questions
  • Asked to tackle a few hypothetical situations related to what you would be doing. These hypotheticals were a bit strange, however, as you are presented with very little information and it seems like the team wants a specific answer rather than to follow your thought process.

Blizzard Entertainment

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in Mar 2021

Interview

Process was long and grueling. From application submission to final decision took about six months. Even though it was slow, the people were cool and my HR rep was great. After the resume submission, there was a phone interview with my HR rep, then a design test, then a panel interview with three people. This was followed by a gauntlet of four more panel interviews, each with three people.

Interview Questions
  • Q: What did you do when you ran into problems you didn't have experience solving? What was your process to find solutions?
  • Q: What do you think makes feedback constructive?
  • Q: How do you avoid becoming formulaic in your design work?
  • Q: What do you think is one of the more important jobs/parts of a game designer?
  • Q: What are some of your favorite tools you've used in your career? How would you improve one of the tools you use?
  • Q: What were some of the technical challenges you faced?
  • Q: What is an example of something you would be really interested in adding to the game?
5 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in Feb 2021

Interview

The overall interview experience was great. It went fairly quickly with good communication to keep me updated about the process. As far as the interviews themselves, as this was done during the pandemic, the interview was conducted over zoom. I had a first round interview followed by three other interviews at a later date. It was a great experience. Everyone I spoke with was friendly, excited, smart, interested in talking, and excited to help sell Blizzard to me as well as find out my skills and interest in Blizzard. I had an overall great time speaking with them. It felt like a very fair and professional process.

Interview Questions
  • They asked me many questions about my previous experience, what I thought about the game I'd be working on as well as how to improve it, and how I would work with different disciplines.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in Feb 2018

Interview

Went well, the interviewer was pleasure not rude. overall good experience even though I didn't get a job. Was punctual and good service in and out. not enough could be said about the greatness of said company

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Los Angeles, CA) in Jul 2017

Interview

I applied online in April and sent in my resume and CL along side a small design test. About a month later they reached out and asked for me to complete a more in-depth design test, one that tested a few different areas of possible design positions. Three weeks later, I was scheduled for a phone call with a recruiter, who went over the details of the position including base information about benefits and what the job would entail. Within a week I had a follow-up call with a few designers, who went over my background, my design test, and asked a few new questions. Three weeks after I was invited for an on-site. The interviews were set up with a few people at a time, including my future supervisor, the creative director, other designers, and members from a few other disciplines I'd be working with. A mixture of standard interview questions alongside making sure I understood the game's systems, how to create content for it in line with the game's philosophies, problem solving, etc.

Interview Questions
  • If, after initial design, a mission received feedback that it was missing a core feature, how would you implement said feature given the game's restrictions?
  • A certain mechanic in the game has seen a number of iterations throughout the past few expansions, how do you feel about its reception? What benefits has it had for both developers and players?
1 person found this interview helpful