Blizzard Entertainment Interview Questions in Irvine, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 18, 2017

3.1

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA).

Interview

I had a phone interview followed by a Skype interview followed by a series of in-person interviews on campus. Everyone was incredibly nice and I really enjoyed the seeing their incredible campus. When I was on-site, I interviewed with 5 different individuals. From the Recruiter to the Managers I met with, everyone was really personable and I could tell they took extra care in not being intimidating however, it was a long, drawn out process.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I would handle a few different situations that I might face in the position.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

It took about 2 weeks to first hear back from someone, and my initial phone screen was about 2 weeks after that. It was half behavioral (talking about past job experiences) and half standard technical questions (algorithm runtimes, etc).

It took a week to hear back, and I was given a 4-hour at-home coding test. It should be pretty simple for anyone with a few years of experience. I did 'extra credit' since I finished the initial problem in 2 hours, which may have helped.

After another 3 weeks of waiting, I had my on-site interview. It started with a 2-hour coding test with seemingly simple, yet deep questions - they were easy to answer but tricky to optimize, especially with the timer ticking. Afterwards, an hour was spent going over the answers with 2 lead engineers. This part was really enjoyable, as we were able to discuss each question and how it could be done better and more efficiently. It's a way for you to explain what you were thinking, and learn a few things yourself, which is much better than just getting a "no" and going home. After the technical interview was a lunch interview with management, an interview with producers, and an interview with peers. These were all roughly the same personality-type questions about how you approach problems and what you've been doing at your past jobs, etc. As this was a UI-related role, there was UI discussion about the game team I was interviewing for. Overall the whole process took about 7 hours.

It was a great interview process, but it took about twice as long as I had hoped. Expect to wait at least a week in between all conversations for scheduling. At the end I was called and told what the team liked and disliked about me and why they wouldn't be moving forward, and their feedback matched up exactly with how I felt (I should have applied to a non-senior position for a significantly higher chance). I'll probably try to apply again in a few years.

Interview Questions

• What are 3 words your co-workers would use to describe you?   Answer Question

Digital Asset Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA).

Interview

Slow process, partially due to holidays. I applied in October and did a screening interview, a phone interview and then was flown to their campus in January. It was a 4 hour window of interviews; 2 people, 2 people, then 4+ people so a bit intense. I felt good coming out, like I had handled the questions through at me, but I didn't get it (notified 3 weeks later) . Oh well, good learning experience.

Interview Questions

• What would the person who likes you least say about you?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer - Tools Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

First, phone call from recruiter. Coordination for interview was unprofessional. A second recruiter setup the technical interview, he said that he will confirm the time, yet no confirmation came but the time still stands. Technical phone interview last for about 1 hr. about basic CS stuffs. Tip: review some game formula even if your position is not a direct game developer. Being likable will be more important in the technical phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Like many other reviews, they always ask why do you want to work for Blizzard. Seems like they want you to kiss up to them.   1 Answer

Technical Quality Assurance Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA).

Interview

Once you submit an application it can take up to 2 months to get any response, if you go through the gauntlet and make it to employment the whole process can take up to 6 months.

During that time, the success of your interview is randomly based on the group you are being interview by.

If you are interviewed by a group real passionate about WoW and you don't play WoW, GG, you're done.

This is pretty much the standard throughout. If the group interviewing you has a strong feeling about a particular product and you don't share that interest, there was no point for you to even show up, because you won't get the position.

Interview Questions

• How would you QA this marker? (an actual whiteboard marker)   Answer Question

ESports Manager Interview

Application

Interview

I was referred by a friend who works there which helped get my resume to the top of the stack. I had a phone interview first which seemed rather easy, making sure I actually know what I'm talking about and that I'm not crazy.
    2nd interview they flew me out (not local). They flew me in the night before so I would be fresh. They reimbursed my expenses including a rental car.
    It was 4 hours of interviews with 7 people in 4 panels. Intense but friendly

Interview Questions

• Do you play any Blizzard games?   1 Answer

Associate Sound Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

The steps involved were as follows:

Email with 10 questions to answer from recruiter
    Phone interview with producer and supervising sound designer
    Sound design test
    On-site interview

The recruiter was amazing the whole way through, and the on-site interview was very straightforward and relaxed. Met with whole team first, then had one on one with each person. Lunch in between was great and a nice way to get to know each other.

Don't over dress! Wear comfortable shoes and clothes.

Interview Questions

• What is one of your favorite video games for sound besides Blizzard games?   Answer Question
    • How long have you been playing the game?   Answer Question
    • What about the sound of the game do you think could be changed?   Answer Question

SOC Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Technically demanding but fair. I was treated with the utmost professionalism and tact throughout the process. Bummed not to get the position, but I highly appreciated their hiring process from HR to recruiting to the security team.

Interview Questions

• The phone interview was mostly technically-oriented, and the in-person interview was split into three sessions covering technical knowledge, culture fit, and background/goals.   Answer Question

Network Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was surprisingly quick. I was contacted by a recruiter who said that they would schedule me a phone interview with the Network Operations Manager. The following day I got a phone interview scheduled. When the time came for the phone interview the operation manager ended up calling over 10 minutes late. The phone interview was a bit rushed as he was behind schedule. He asked a couple questions about my background and then said that he thought I was worth doing an in person interview the following day with other members of the network operation team.

When it came to the following day for the interview I came to the Blizzard campus and found the campus fairly impressive. While waiting for the operations manager I signed in and took a brief tour of their museum. Unlike the phone interview he was right on time and the meeting with the team was enjoyable. Most of the questions were more about my background then a technical quiz.

Interview Questions

• What is the largest outage you accidentally caused?   1 Answer

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

There was a screening process with a recruiter, then a phone interview with a couple senior people and then I was asked to come down for an on-site interview. At the on-site I interviewed with additional senior members of the team.

Interview Questions

• They asked about work I had done for my current employer, what I thought about current content - good and bad - questions about specific aspects of WoW, and some design philosophy questions.   Answer Question