Blizzard Entertainment Senior Software Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Blizzard Entertainment Senior Software Engineer II Interview Questions

Interviews at Blizzard Entertainment

3.8

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied on the online Blizzard jobs website. I was then contacted by a recruiter who set me up for a 1hr phone technical interview. After the 1hr technical interview, I got a take home test to write. Then, I was asked to fly to Irvine for a full day of interview, which consisted of pair programming for the full day.

Interview Questions

• One of the question was to comment and fix a snippet of C++ code   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Blizzard Entertainment

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

I applied this position at the end of Jan 2012 online. By then I knew that I was not a best fit and not that experienced enough. I just wanted a try. As months passed by nothing happened, but at the very end of March I got a mail from the recruiter informing me that they would like to arrange a phone interview with me.
    I aksed them to postpone the interview till April because of I had to handle something.

At the beginning of April, I got a call from them and was interviewed by two senior software engineers. They asked about my projects and working background and it lasted about half an hour. I could not tell if I was doing well or not. Soon after that I got another mail, containing a screening test problem that I have to solve within a given time frame. I solved it and send my code back. After about a week, I got a notice from the recruiter again and moved on to the onsite interview.

The onsite interview was very tough. It lasts, nonstop, from 8 am to 5 pm with a lunch interview, including a written test, several group interviews. I could not give away anything details because of the NDA. But one thing that I learned most from the interview, is to review your basic knowledge, about algorithms, data structures and everything. Even most basic questions, if they come in batch one after another, you will make mistake. I was also asked a lot about organizing a team, mentoring and some other non-tech questions.

The overall experience was very positive! They engineers are all very experienced and friendly and professional. The interview helped me figure out what I need to make up in the future.

Senior Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in February 2013.

Interview

Submitted my application via the website for the Corporate Applications Senior Software Engineer .NET position and waited only about a week and half before I got my first email correspondence from Blizzard recruiters. After mentioning I'm still interested in the position, we discussed a date (a week later) that would be good for setting up the telephone interview. I got a call by two of the developers that were currently on the Corporate Applications team and that interview went great! They were very professional and the questions were not difficult at all. Just remember that some of the tasks you may perform on a daily basis (and could do it in your sleep), they will probably ask you to explain it; and if you've never had to explain a specific development process, then you may want to freshen up on technical terms and definitions for it. Things like threads, processes, view states, sessions, cookies, SQL injection, etc...

After the interview, they said that HR would be getting in contact with me if I pass that phase of the interview. Well, I passed it and the recruiter emailed me back with a programming assignment. It took me just about 40 hours of development time in total to complete it. I sent it back and got an email a couple days later explaining that I did a great job on my programming assignment and the interview went great as well, but that they are looking for someone with more senior level experience (I only have about 2-3 years of senior level experience). They did mention that they will be in contact with me in the future about any other positions that come available that I may fit the skill-set for. Overall I'm super happy about the interview process and it was a blast from start to finish.

I'm happy that my 13+ years of development experience shined through for Blizzard enough to recognize me and compliment me on it, but now I know that all I really need is more management/senior level experience and I'll give it a try again at a later date or apply for a different position within the company. No big deal :)

Interview Questions

• What is SQL injection and how would you prevent it?   1 Answer
    • Describe the difference between a process and a thread.   1 Answer
    • From a user clicking a link on a web page, describe the process and events that occur from start to finish (both client and server side).   2 Answers
    • Different uses and descriptions of both cookies and sessions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA).

Interview

I was initially approached through an employee reference. That was followed by an initial phone screening. A take home programming test was given. That test I expect is a test that changes based on what position you are applying for. Once the test was handed in, I was brought in for an on-site interview.

The On-Site interview was a full day interview process. It was mostly made up of 1 hour sessions with 2 or more people in which they ask you about your qualifications and any questions that are relevant for them. These sessions included technical interview portions as well as "fit" portions to ensure that you fit the mold of the Blizzard culture.

There was about a 1 week delay for each phase of the interview, after the initial phone screening.

Interview Questions

• When was there a time in which you had to "defend" the approach you wanted to take in order to implement a feature?   Answer Question