Blockbuster Customer Service Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 13, 2017

1.8

54 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Valley City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster (West Valley City, UT) in October 2011.

Interview

First off, we were given name tags. Then we had to get in a half circle and play this game where we had to start off with one actor and name a movie they were in with another actor, then the next person had to name a movie that that actor was in. So on, so forth. This was awkward. Then we did a scavenger hunt and had to find various items in the store with a group of 5 people. Awkward. Afterwards we were each supposed to tell the four managers why we felt we should be hired, and everyone took their turns one at a time. And I guess we did bad the first time because we pretty much all said we love movies, so they made us do it again. They say it takes 3-10 to process a background check so we will wait, but I doubt I got it cause I was put up to interview with people who had years of experience. I am guessing they were applying for the managerial positions, but I wasn't, therefore this was not fair. They had 20 more people to interview that day and more interview days and were hiring for four stores therefore there were 4 different managers.

Interview Questions

• Name and actor in a movie and another actor in the same movie... so on...   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Blockbuster

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster (San Diego, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

I heard there were openings at Blockbuster and I applied. About two weeks later, I got a call and was told that I would be a part of a group interview. My first thought was that there would be several people getting a one-on-one job interview, but instead, we all got into a circle and were interviewed sort of on the spot. The people arrived in hopes of getting a job, but not all of them applied for my specific location.

We did a scavenger hunt to find movies and other items. There were also questions about Blockbuster and the job that were being answered. We also had to play a game. The game started off by the DM saying a movie name, and the next person saying an actor appearing in the film, then the next person would say a movie title with the actor that was just mentioned, after that, the next person mentions another actor in the new movie title mentioned, and so on. We also had to a pitch to the person next to us why they should see a movie that we can think of.

I know that I didn't say or do enough to get myself a job there, but I felt I could have if it was a one-on-one interview. Other people pretty much said what I would have said. I got a couple of words in about something and it doesn't seem like I really messed up, but still, not good enough as few others.

Bottom line, I felt good when I got called in for this interview, but after going through it, I knew it was pointless because I was not going to get a job there. It was said that within 2 days, people who are considered would receive a call. I didn't get one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2011.

Interview

This has to be the single worst interview experience I've ever had. The interview was in a group of roughly 20 people, all of us forming a big circle in the middle of the store. Started off with a Q&A section and intro, the Q&A was ridiculously pointless as most people asked pointless questions and were focusing on volume rather than quality (which apparently management appreciated). Then they asked for a 30 second pitch of a movie to the person next to you. Then we did a scavenger hunt, yes, a scavenger hunt in an interview. Then more Q&A with more pointless questions where people are merely trying to get their face out there. Then they closed with the typical, why you and why do you want the job? No background questions, no behavioral questions, no in depth questions. But apparently those 2 questions were enough for the managers to make informed decisions. Also, whoever got to go last (which unsurprising was normally the same side of the room), was at a huge advantage. Many answers were reiterated, where the latter persons normally just gave more in depth versions of the answers before them (especially on the 30 second pitch). Interview took an hour and a half, but it felt like such a waste of time when you have such a small portion of time to make an impact. I would call the whole process unprofessional, unfair, sloppy, and pointless. I am honestly compelled to file a compliant. It was clear that they were focusing on saving themselves time rather than trying to find the best candidate, more of a reason blockbuster is failing I guess.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Quebec, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Quebec, QC (Canada)) in January 2011.

Interview

First, a rep will ask you to fill out a form, with just your basic information, Then they will decide if they liked you and will submit you application to the management. The assistant store manager will perform a basic interview to determine your qualifications. if you pass that test you meet the manager where they will ask you behavioral questions.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Boston, MA) in January 2011.

Interview

I was referred by an employee. I was asked some general questions about my background. Then I was asked about situations that involved customer service. At the end the manager asked me when I can start. It was fairly quick and the questions were simple. I asked a few questions about the the video rental business at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you delivered good customer service   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Blockbuster.

Interview

Pretty easy. Just be enthusiastic, confident, show interest in products and definitely show interest or even desire to sell

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offered an hourly rate and accepted

Anonymous Employee in Folsom, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Folsom, PA) in June 2012.

Interview

I had submitted my application online around May of 2012, I received an email about an open "casting call" interview in June, I went to the interview which included questions about movies and how to sell stuff. I waited almost a month and then I finally received a phone call asking if I wanted to take the job or not. I was hired in the middle of July.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

First interview took place at an open store, with many other potential employees. This 'group interview' is not for the faint of heart, or timid. You must be all in with attention to detail about movies and video games. Then you will be called for a second interview. This one is at another store all together, one on one, with someone that you didn't even see at the first and has no knowledge of what you went through the process before. Then she will tell you that she will call you in a week or so with her decision.

Interview Questions

• This was actually a game that was played with the group at the first interview. You are put on the spot and asked about an actor in a movie, then the next person says a co-star and the third person thinks of another in another movie. *This will change depending on the DM*   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Blockbuster in December 2010.

Interview

They called me in to interview and had over five people before me. This Was a busy blockbuster and we went into the back room and casually made conversation. The manager hadn't hired anyone at that location yet so this was personal for her and she wanted to make sure it was a right fit. They asked about mu experience and also questions regarding to the job. After that she took me outside and told me to choose an item and sell it to her.

Interview Questions

• Please pick an item in the store and try to sell it to me.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a wage above minimum because the store manager was close to the district manager and I had previous experience.

Anonymous Employee in New Baltimore, MI

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Blockbuster (New Baltimore, MI) in August 2009.

Interview

Took about a week and interview in person. Asked me basic questions about myself, why I applied and what I thought was good customer service.