Blockbuster Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.1

147 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Chicago, IL) in August 2009.

Interview

Store Manager was one hour late for interview. She told me that the District Manager needed to do the interview, because she wasn't allowed to interview management postitions for the store. She couldn't give me any information as to when I could interview for the job.

Unorganizied

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Fresno, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Went into my initial interview with the store manager. I was asked the basic questions about P&L and knowledge. Then I had a second interview with the district manager, I was hired on the spot. The process took 5 days.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tracy, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Tracy, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

I was called my a recruiter, which happen to be an assistant manager of one of the DM stores. Later, we became and still are good friends. then I went in for an interview at the local store..I waited for an hour at least but then the interview went well. I still am friends with the dm, AND then I had to wait to get an interview with the regional manager, turns out he was on vacation, so they went ahead and offered me the position. I was in a training store for several months, it was okay, I was able to to work and train without the pressure of having a store to pass or fail..this was nice because when I went to my own store I was confident. The only issue was when I was offered my store they made me interview with the regional manager...which was silly because I already was hired..were they going to fire me??? I did get the position but it was short lived..they ended up closing my store due to financial hardships. I decided to just finish and get my degree.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   1 Answer
    • most questions were open based questions   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was actually very easy. I told her what I wanted, and she wanted me so much she went in at a higher rate..plus when I went from training manager to store manager I was given another raise! It was nice especially since I the company was going through financial issues and cutting back on a lot of things. It was nice because I knew the DM valued me and knew I was worth it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Valley City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster (West Valley City, UT) in October 2011.

Interview

First off, we were given name tags. Then we had to get in a half circle and play this game where we had to start off with one actor and name a movie they were in with another actor, then the next person had to name a movie that that actor was in. So on, so forth. This was awkward. Then we did a scavenger hunt and had to find various items in the store with a group of 5 people. Awkward. Afterwards we were each supposed to tell the four managers why we felt we should be hired, and everyone took their turns one at a time. And I guess we did bad the first time because we pretty much all said we love movies, so they made us do it again. They say it takes 3-10 to process a background check so we will wait, but I doubt I got it cause I was put up to interview with people who had years of experience. I am guessing they were applying for the managerial positions, but I wasn't, therefore this was not fair. They had 20 more people to interview that day and more interview days and were hiring for four stores therefore there were 4 different managers.

Interview Questions

• Name and actor in a movie and another actor in the same movie... so on...   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster (San Diego, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

I heard there were openings at Blockbuster and I applied. About two weeks later, I got a call and was told that I would be a part of a group interview. My first thought was that there would be several people getting a one-on-one job interview, but instead, we all got into a circle and were interviewed sort of on the spot. The people arrived in hopes of getting a job, but not all of them applied for my specific location.

We did a scavenger hunt to find movies and other items. There were also questions about Blockbuster and the job that were being answered. We also had to play a game. The game started off by the DM saying a movie name, and the next person saying an actor appearing in the film, then the next person would say a movie title with the actor that was just mentioned, after that, the next person mentions another actor in the new movie title mentioned, and so on. We also had to a pitch to the person next to us why they should see a movie that we can think of.

I know that I didn't say or do enough to get myself a job there, but I felt I could have if it was a one-on-one interview. Other people pretty much said what I would have said. I got a couple of words in about something and it doesn't seem like I really messed up, but still, not good enough as few others.

Bottom line, I felt good when I got called in for this interview, but after going through it, I knew it was pointless because I was not going to get a job there. It was said that within 2 days, people who are considered would receive a call. I didn't get one.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Covina, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster (West Covina, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

I applied online and got a call a week after to set up an appointment for the interview. It all started with small talk then he asked some stuff about high school since i had just graduated that year, such as the clubs i was in, my grades, and any regrets i had. Then towards the end asked me to go around the store and choose two movies and convince him to buy those movies. He also gave me a list of different membership plans then asked me to sell one to him.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2011.

Interview

This has to be the single worst interview experience I've ever had. The interview was in a group of roughly 20 people, all of us forming a big circle in the middle of the store. Started off with a Q&A section and intro, the Q&A was ridiculously pointless as most people asked pointless questions and were focusing on volume rather than quality (which apparently management appreciated). Then they asked for a 30 second pitch of a movie to the person next to you. Then we did a scavenger hunt, yes, a scavenger hunt in an interview. Then more Q&A with more pointless questions where people are merely trying to get their face out there. Then they closed with the typical, why you and why do you want the job? No background questions, no behavioral questions, no in depth questions. But apparently those 2 questions were enough for the managers to make informed decisions. Also, whoever got to go last (which unsurprising was normally the same side of the room), was at a huge advantage. Many answers were reiterated, where the latter persons normally just gave more in depth versions of the answers before them (especially on the 30 second pitch). Interview took an hour and a half, but it felt like such a waste of time when you have such a small portion of time to make an impact. I would call the whole process unprofessional, unfair, sloppy, and pointless. I am honestly compelled to file a compliant. It was clear that they were focusing on saving themselves time rather than trying to find the best candidate, more of a reason blockbuster is failing I guess.

Manager On Duty Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hannibal, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Hannibal, MO) in August 2009.

Interview

I did many different interviews. Over the phone there were about 4 interviews, with many different people from the compnay in all different levels. Then on my last call I was asked to come in and talk to someone. THen I received another call and they gave me an offer for a job.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Columbus, GA) in June 2013.

Interview

It was a group interview with myself and 4 members of Management and corporate.the interview was based at the store I later became an employee at. I did not get a call back untill around three weeks.

Interview Questions

• How long I had been in management?   1 Answer

CSM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Allentown, PA) in March 2013.

Interview

They want to know if you work hard, clean, dedicated, responsible, good, drug free, crime free. It's entry level so it's basic. Then work. Went to open. Excited to be part of the position. Excellent to the. Good.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult situation and how you handled it?   1 Answer