Blockbuster Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Blockbuster Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2017

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

First interview took place at an open store, with many other potential employees. This 'group interview' is not for the faint of heart, or timid. You must be all in with attention to detail about movies and video games. Then you will be called for a second interview. This one is at another store all together, one on one, with someone that you didn't even see at the first and has no knowledge of what you went through the process before. Then she will tell you that she will call you in a week or so with her decision.

Interview Questions

• This was actually a game that was played with the group at the first interview. You are put on the spot and asked about an actor in a movie, then the next person says a co-star and the third person thinks of another in another movie. *This will change depending on the DM*   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Concord, NH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Concord, NH) in July 2012.

Interview

I needed to communicate to my DM that I was interested in being a Store manager. Then my DM talked with a couple of store managers at other stores that knew me, as well as my current store manager and co-workers. Interview lasted a good hour and covered current staff and store operations. It also focused on my confidence on meeting future challenges.

Interview Questions

• How was the store's tnr to budget compared to last years.   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Rochester, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

IIt was a group interview , you had to talk in front of everybody nobody left there knowing if they got the job or not they told us within a week they should be calling people who fit there qualifications back ihavent got a called back so ididnt get the job.

Anonymous Employee in Folsom, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Folsom, PA) in June 2012.

Interview

I had submitted my application online around May of 2012, I received an email about an open "casting call" interview in June, I went to the interview which included questions about movies and how to sell stuff. I waited almost a month and then I finally received a phone call asking if I wanted to take the job or not. I was hired in the middle of July.

Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, LA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Lafayette, LA) in June 2012.

Interview

The district manager at the time was nice and laid back, this interview was very straight forward. More like a conversation, as long as you're honest- everything should fall into place.

Interview Questions

• -What is your long term goal with the company?   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Corpus Christi, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Corpus Christi, TX) in January 2012.

Interview

Well I arrived there and had to wait about 20 minutes for others to arrive. As soon as they did. We introduced ourselves, explained on how we'd sell a particular item and did a scavenger hunt. I ended up getting a 2nd interview, but all she wanted to know was my work history. She then explained the job. She said to wait for a call because she said a dm would have to review my application & do a background check. She never called though. I wouldnt apply though as I looked up the company and they are pretty much bankrupt.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Easy interview than most.

Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Englewood, CO) in January 2012.

Interview

Very customer focused job, also need to be detailed about your inventory management, very difficult to manage your inventory on their antiquated systems, you need to be able to manage your inventory on pen and paper more than anything. They asked basic questions about customer service mostly. Other questions were about your hiring experience, and employee corrective action procedures.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation where you failed to meet a customers expectation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered a reasonable salary based on the job requirements. I didn't negotiate much, but if they lowball you, and you have experience, push for 5-10% more.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Greensboro, NC) in January 2012.

Interview

At the time of the job interview the country's economy was still recovering from the recession, especially in this part of the country. So their were at least 20 people there for the group interview session. Apparently they were doing large group interviews all week. It was very silly. We had to do role-playing for different scenarios in front of everyone. It was demoralizing to have so much competition for a minimum wage cashiering job.

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Oklahoma City, OK) in December 2011.

Interview

The hiring process when I signed up was ancient. They had people interviewing for Store manager as well as people in jeans and t-shirts that hadn't been washed in a week in the same circle. It was easy to stand out in that crowd if you had researched the company at all and had any smart sounding challenging questions.

Interview Questions

• Being asked to sell was a new one for me. Also the movie knowledge questions were weird. Luckily everyone was awful so I looked better than I was.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There really wasn't one. They asked me what I wanted. I quoted a high number and she said ok. Come to find out later I was one of the higher paid store managers in the state and I had the least experience. Really I was hired as a spite move to the company I believe from a District manager on the way out.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

It was a group interview. It was quite fun, while we stood in a circle we were asked to name a movie and from that movie's cast we were to say another movie that a cast member was also in. After that we were given a list of movies and were asked to calmly and hastily locate them and bring them back to the group.