Blockbuster Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Blockbuster Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2017

2.1

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

It was a group interview. It was quite fun, while we stood in a circle we were asked to name a movie and from that movie's cast we were to say another movie that a cast member was also in. After that we were given a list of movies and were asked to calmly and hastily locate them and bring them back to the group.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indian Trail, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Indian Trail, NC) in November 2011.

Interview

Was a fairly basic interview process. It was mainly asking about the times I'd be available (I was still in high school at this time). Other then that I was asked how long I expected to stay and if I was interested in any other positions at the time. It wasn't a very in-depth interview mainly because it was a new store at the time and they needed people to work. I was asked to take a drug test and they wanted to do a background check, both of which where no problem to me.

Anonymous Employee in Newtown Square, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Newtown Square, PA) in November 2011.

Interview

The interview was great super relaxed, the guy who interviewed me was very down to earth. I came in sat down and then the interview manager who was also the manger of the store asked me some questinos and it was very brief and then he hired me.

Interview Questions

• If you were an animal what kind would you be?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Valley City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster (West Valley City, UT) in October 2011.

Interview

First off, we were given name tags. Then we had to get in a half circle and play this game where we had to start off with one actor and name a movie they were in with another actor, then the next person had to name a movie that that actor was in. So on, so forth. This was awkward. Then we did a scavenger hunt and had to find various items in the store with a group of 5 people. Awkward. Afterwards we were each supposed to tell the four managers why we felt we should be hired, and everyone took their turns one at a time. And I guess we did bad the first time because we pretty much all said we love movies, so they made us do it again. They say it takes 3-10 to process a background check so we will wait, but I doubt I got it cause I was put up to interview with people who had years of experience. I am guessing they were applying for the managerial positions, but I wasn't, therefore this was not fair. They had 20 more people to interview that day and more interview days and were hiring for four stores therefore there were 4 different managers.

Interview Questions

• Name and actor in a movie and another actor in the same movie... so on...   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Overland Park, KS) in October 2011.

Interview

Very brief and to the point. Did not have to wade through many interviews, just one quick face to face after a phone interview. Able to apply and be hired within 2 weeks. The entire interview process was very short and focused upon how your skills will transition to their store. Also finding out if you will fit the ideal of a "Blockbuster" employee.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Blockbuster (McKinney, TX) in September 2011.

Interview

Phone interview with the IT Ops Mgr. He asked me to describe my ITSM and IT Operations experience and how I could apply my experience to the position. The phone interview ended with a confirmed face to face interview with him The one-on-one was more in-depth in terms of the position and provided the platform to sell your skillset and what sets you apart from your competition. From the time I phone interviewed to an offer was less than roughly 7 days total (phone interview on a Wednesday, face to face interview on a Friday and had an offer that next Monday).

Interview Questions

• Asked me to described my ITSM and operations experience.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes. Know the market and your value within the market. I had to come down 10% from my original gross yearly contract rate to go perm. Wasn't pleased but in this market ...

Shift Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster in August 2011.

Interview

The Hiring and Interview Process was grouped. We all met a location on Veterans Blvd. We played games in order to get to know each other and to break the ice. The management seemed nice enough, they appeared to be having a good time with us. The environment was quite calm actually. They'd picked a time when the rush was a t a minimum with was good because we were able to move throughout the store. They spoke to only a few of us individually. The few chosen were the ones who went on to be hired. If you weren't selected to interview that day it was either because you were late, didn't get any questions or scenarios correct or you weren't dressed professionally.

Interview Questions

• There really weren't any unexpected questions asked to me.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster (New York, NY) in August 2011.

Interview

quick process. it was one interview in the store i was applying to. I met the store manager and had a interview with him. it was quick and he had asked me for my experience in jobs and i did not have a lot being a college student so it was a great opportunity to get a job for experience.

Interview Questions

• situation question where they asked me to sell the phone that i have to test my sales skills.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster (San Diego, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

I heard there were openings at Blockbuster and I applied. About two weeks later, I got a call and was told that I would be a part of a group interview. My first thought was that there would be several people getting a one-on-one job interview, but instead, we all got into a circle and were interviewed sort of on the spot. The people arrived in hopes of getting a job, but not all of them applied for my specific location.

We did a scavenger hunt to find movies and other items. There were also questions about Blockbuster and the job that were being answered. We also had to play a game. The game started off by the DM saying a movie name, and the next person saying an actor appearing in the film, then the next person would say a movie title with the actor that was just mentioned, after that, the next person mentions another actor in the new movie title mentioned, and so on. We also had to a pitch to the person next to us why they should see a movie that we can think of.

I know that I didn't say or do enough to get myself a job there, but I felt I could have if it was a one-on-one interview. Other people pretty much said what I would have said. I got a couple of words in about something and it doesn't seem like I really messed up, but still, not good enough as few others.

Bottom line, I felt good when I got called in for this interview, but after going through it, I knew it was pointless because I was not going to get a job there. It was said that within 2 days, people who are considered would receive a call. I didn't get one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2011.

Interview

This has to be the single worst interview experience I've ever had. The interview was in a group of roughly 20 people, all of us forming a big circle in the middle of the store. Started off with a Q&A section and intro, the Q&A was ridiculously pointless as most people asked pointless questions and were focusing on volume rather than quality (which apparently management appreciated). Then they asked for a 30 second pitch of a movie to the person next to you. Then we did a scavenger hunt, yes, a scavenger hunt in an interview. Then more Q&A with more pointless questions where people are merely trying to get their face out there. Then they closed with the typical, why you and why do you want the job? No background questions, no behavioral questions, no in depth questions. But apparently those 2 questions were enough for the managers to make informed decisions. Also, whoever got to go last (which unsurprising was normally the same side of the room), was at a huge advantage. Many answers were reiterated, where the latter persons normally just gave more in depth versions of the answers before them (especially on the 30 second pitch). Interview took an hour and a half, but it felt like such a waste of time when you have such a small portion of time to make an impact. I would call the whole process unprofessional, unfair, sloppy, and pointless. I am honestly compelled to file a compliant. It was clear that they were focusing on saving themselves time rather than trying to find the best candidate, more of a reason blockbuster is failing I guess.