Bloom Energy Interview Questions in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 12, 2017

26 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloom Energy (San Jose, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Recruiting team is absolutely wonderful. Time with Bloom Energy leadership team in person certainly didn't build my confidence in the future outlook and future success for this business. It was one of those situations that you look for the exit upon meeting the leadership team and this confirmed some of the issues I'd heard from others that had previously interviewed and not accepted position there.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you handle this job, given that you are a (diversity label X) that may not be familiar with our culutre and how we work at Bloom Energy and that what we have here for you would be very menial and low level tasks? [The question was inappropriate with the diversity specificity included and emphasized]   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloom Energy (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

I was contacted through LinkedIn by a recruiter, I responded and was emailed later by a different recruiter. It took over a week for her to reply and she rescheduled my phone interview about an hour before it was scheduled. Another week went by and I had a second phone interview with the hiring manager.

The second phone interview was easy enough but when I asked him to follow-up questions about the role he described it differently than both the recruiters had. I took his description more seriously since he was the manager for the team. He explained the next step was to do a research project which combined my knowledge of the company and to show that I can do the job. I was given the weekend to complete the task.

Later that day I received the research project, it was quite in-depth for an application. I was given a real company and told i had to identify and find 7 VP level or higher people within that company and find their contact information. I then had to write 7 unique email or phone scripts specialized for each person explaining the value of Bloom and how their products can benefit the company. This was suppose to act as an introduction to set up an appointment with the account exec. I then had to detail my process and explain why I choose those individuals, how I found their info, why I thought they would be a decision maker, and explain how I found out what was important to them or their company. This was a very labor intensive process for what was an associate level position

I choose to bow out of the interview process at this point because I felt this was an unrealistic task and showed how the company is not willing to offer training or any other support and rather just assume that any candidates can already complete the tasks for the job.

Interview Questions

• What was the most creative thing you've done for an account?   Answer Question

Senior Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloom Energy (Sunnyvale, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Very unprofessional process. Two separate recruiters contacted me to set up an interview, showing obvious lack of communication. Went through 4 phone interviews and 2 onsite. First onsite interview resulted in one of 3 interviewers not being present. The second onsite was supposed to be with 6 people total, of which 3 were did not show. Once again, very indicative of a lack of internal communication. After being told I was going to meet with the executives that missed the 2nd onsite interview I was then told they were making an offer to another candidate who was referred internally. Extreme waste of my time considering I had to meet them onsite during my normal working hours. I can only imagine the experience of those that work on the inside. I highly recommend you review the overall score this company has on Glassdoor, I'm sure it's extremely low for a good reason.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions, mostly centered around prospecting experience and objection handling. Had a strong emphasis on "financial acumen."   Answer Question

Senior Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloom Energy (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via phone and we chatted about the role. While not actively pursuing an opportunity, I decided to move onto the initial standard HR phone screen that was set up for a few days later. From the HR phone screen, I was also impressed with the friendliness and professionalism of the Bloom Energy staff. Following the HR screen, I moved onto two lengthy phone interviews with two ViPs. I was then invited out to the Sunnyvale HQ for a day of back-to-back interviews and a tour of the facility. I was flattered and impressed with the time many of the firm's senior executives spent with me that day. There were nine in total, which was a little tiring, but was a great experience nonetheless.

Overall, I had a very positive interviewing and recruitment experience with Bloom. Most important, I was struck by how friendliness and professionalism of their employees. However, I ultimately declined their offer due to what I thought was a pretty big mismatch between the quality/caliber of candidate they sought for the role and the commensurate compensation package they offered.

Interview Questions

• Summarize for me how you would position the value of a Bloom Energy box.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloom Energy (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Awful. Contacted by recruiter through Indeed. I went through 5 rounds. The only big thing they emphasize was whether or not I would stay for 2 years at least. I said of course, I've been at my job for 2 years. I passed their test of writing emails and using Microsoft Excel. Met with many people, office manager, head of hr, etc. Everyone loved me and said they would put in a good word. Even the recruiter said she wanted me to be hired between me and someone else. Finally went to last interview to meet with my potential manager, the EA to CEO. Right before the interview the recruiter went in to get her. Instead of having an interview they turned me away and decided that the job was no longer available. They decided they wanted to hire an intern. You couldn't have possibly told me before I drove there? Seriously? Very unprofessional. One of the worst interviews I've been to.

Interview Questions

• Would you work here for 2 years?   2 Answers

Cell Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bloom Energy (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

First interview involved in depth technical questions about my resume. Especially my technical/research skills.

Second interview was a "super day." It was 3 interviews back to back over skype with the team. They all asked more behavioral/soft skill questions. Though the head asked more detailed research questions. The entire process took 2 hours of skyping.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for bloom? Information on resume. In depth questions about the research I do, lab skills I have. Soft skills questions, working in a group.   Answer Question

Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloom Energy (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Recruiter missed several scheduled phone calls with no explanation. Finally got that scheduled, after about a month, then had phone interview with hiring manager. Never heard back from them after that. Applied again several months later, when I saw the same job listed, but no response. Bloom looks like they have a great product, but I don't think they have their act together.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloom Energy (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

There were two initial phone screens. One with the recruiter that sourced me through LinkedIn, the other with the Director of Staffing. Then they invite you to an onsite where you meet with the rest of the team (4 people). It would be the Director of Staffing, 2 recruiters, and the girl who you chatted with in your first phone interview. The interview was pretty standard and they do a good job of making you feel comfortable.

My only gripe is that I found it unprofessional that they didn't take the time to let you know what the decision was after the onsite. Instead, they chose to let me assume I didn't get it. Also, the girl who initially sourced me had sent out a LinkedIn e-mail to me asking if I was interested in the same Recruiting Coordinator position 5 days after I interviewed with them. When I questioned her, she said it was a "system error" but I believe she messed up and didn't want to tell me that none of the candidates worked out and that she was sourcing again for new candidates.

Interview Questions

• Pretty Standard. They ask you to go through your resume.

Something questions are:
      How do you stay organized?
      What is your proudest achievement (work)?
      Why Recruiting Coordinator?
      Tell me a time you managed a project?
      What was a time you solved a conflict?
      When was a time you communicated to an executive? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Stack Life and Reliability Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloom Energy (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and after passing that, I had a phone interview with my eventual manager. After that, I had a 3 hour Skype interview with 6 people in the team, 30 minutes with each of them. Most of them asked me behavioral questions, but two of the people asked me very specific technical questions about SOFCs, fuel cells, and electrochemistry in general.

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloom Energy (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

They have a really good interview process. Applied online via linked in. Got a call from a recruiter in about a week. Then, a general interview with the HR team on the phone followed by 6 hour on-site interview. They really take time to find the best candidates.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us?   1 Answer