Bloomberg L.P. Data Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.9

86 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Video interview with 7 questions;

Invited to the Bloomberg office to meet the team leader from fundamentals and estimates (yes, that's right. They don't even have an ESG team leader). I have a feeling that the interviewers have very limited knowledge about ESG data, especially when I mentioned the TCFD which was initiated by their boss Mike Bloomberg, they seemed absolutely clueless. Also, they stressed that the position itself is very repetitive and requires a lot of manual data uploading tasks, which is nowhere near "analytical" as the title has suggested.

Also, the Bloomberg ESG data team (not Bloomberg Intelligence!) just sucks generally speaking. For instance, if you ask the helpdesk about "the carbon intensity of a fund", something less obvious than "water usage of Starbucks", you would be lucky to get an answer in less than half an hour. ESG is definitely not embedded in decision making or the corporate culture.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2016.

Interview

The Worst Interview I have ever had!!!
    First time (2016 May), I applied for data analyst position and interviewer told me "Our company is not doing Data Analysis, I wonder why you applied even you don't understand the job role." So I said, "But job description says data analyst." The interviewer said, "Customer will analyze the data and you won't understand!?" I asked, "So do you give raw data to your customer? csv file??"
    The interviewer said, "YES!"

The second time(2017 Jan), they call me at 4 am. I understand you work 24/7 but please let me know in advance if you are calling me at 4 am.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about what you know about this position Data Analyst"   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

HR phone interview/ HR was nice. However, they require machine learning skills. And we need to do a test in the future. It was a great experience. And Bloomberg is a great company. A great working environment

Data Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied Online.
    the next day I got an email from them to contact the requriment manager to set up a Phone interview. after conducting the phone interview I was invited for an in house interview.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Tokyo (Japan)) in January 2015.

Interview

Had a phone interview followed by in-person interview at the office.
    It was 70% in Japanese and followed by english. The first round was with the HR person and then the in-house was with the team leader and a member of their team. Asking more about the fit with the company

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join Bloomberg?   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

The interview process has 4 rounds -
    1) Phone interview with HR - expected to know about Bloomberg, its history, different wings etc, understanding of the job role and department you have applied to
    2) Interview with the department head - fairly straightforward. Behavioural interviews - questions about your CV, past experiences, ability to deal with problems at work, main motivators etc

There are two more rounds involving interview with managers

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you faced an issue with your project and how did you solve it?   Answer Question
    • What motivates and demotivates you to come to work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

Intense process with many rounds. You were not told how many people you'd meet ahead of time so you were waiting to hear at the end of each round whether you were done or moving on. HR was very responsive in terms of scheduling the interview and following up.

Interview Questions

• Why is a manhole cover round?   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in March 2014.

Interview

First a phone interview then there is 3 interviews after that. The face to face is with two people and that's the hardest which they a play a little good cop bad cop game on you or bad cop bad cop depending on who interviews. Then you have the same set up for the second one and the final is with the department manager and its only that person.

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg?
      Who are our competitors?
      What relative skills do you have for the role?
      Why is customer service so important?   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I applied online through my university's job site. A few weeks later I received an email to set up a 30 minute Skype interview. They asked mostly behavioral questions as well as some personal ones (ex. what are some of your hobbies).

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied online and got an invitation to a telephone interview with a big warning to prepare beforehand - which I did of course. The company recruiter duly called and ran through the job and started asking really detailed and demanding questions. But the more this went on the more I realised the recruiter had no idea what I was talking about as they had a very fixed idea of what their ideal person had to be. It was obvious the position was also very junior (despite the high power job spec) as was the interviewer. I was explaining my experience and they clearly had little understanding - which is pointless for an interview. This made for a frustrating interview. I could do the job easily as I already do it for another company but the interviewer just didn't know what I was talking about. I received a rejection email about a week later. Which was not a surprise.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Bloomberg and its products. Asked detailed questions about financial markets. Asked about my experience but they didn't understand it. On reflection their questioning was far too high a level considering the role was junior. Asked quite aggressively about what salary I wanted but refused point blank to give any indication of potential salary ranges to role might carry.   Answer Question