Bloomberg L.P. Data Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 28, 2017

2.9

90 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skillman, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Skillman, NJ) in March 2011.

Interview

Applied and received schedualing from HR. Had group interview 2 on 1. Alll in all a pleasant process.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee in Skillman, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Skillman, NJ) in January 2011.

Interview

Applied Online, heard back a couple months later. Received an initial call to see if I was the right person and if i was interested in the position. WOULD HAVE TAKEN SKILLS TEST but couldn't make it on testing day because of finals. Went to the office for a 3:1 interview. Interviewers were very candid asked a lot of questions. This was followed by another 1:1 interview. They analyze every part of your resume so know it and be able to elaborate on it. Whole process took about an hour. The building is nice, high security, a lot of people moving around.

Interview Questions

• WHat do you see yourself doing in 5 years.   Answer Question
    • What would your former employees say are your greatest strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question
    • Name a time you went beyond the normal scope of your job to improve or change some aspect of your project or work environment.   Answer Question
    • why do you want this position / why bloomberg / what do you know about the position and bloomberg.   Answer Question
    • name the internship you learned the most from and what you got out of it   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in November 2010.

Interview

The company building is very modern and sophisticated. Very nice greeters, but the interviewers may make you a bit uncomfortable. Be prepared to talk about your past experiences, current market, and knowledge/understanding of the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skillman, NJ

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Skillman, NJ) in June 2010.

Interview

They had 1st round phone interview to do the screening about your backgound and to make sure you are the person they want to bring into 2nd round interview. I was invited to 2nd round and was told they would be 2 interviews for one hour each. (2 persons for each interviews) Those 2 persons on the first gounp were basically trying to introduce Bloomberg terminal and to discuss your interest/background. It took 50 minutes. Then I was expecting for the 2nd group of interview. However, one person came back to tell me the persons of the 2nd group just "happened to" be in the meeting. Then they would like me to go back to re-schedule next interview for 2nd group. HOWEVER, NEVER contact me any more. I tried to call the first HR. NO response. I was lucky to remember one of the interviewers full name. I called Bloomberg operator to ask for this person. I got his voicemail and email. I tried to be polite to confirm the timing of interview (which should have been on the 2nd hour of original interview) by leaving voicemail and sending and email. UNFORTUNATELY, the response was SUCK. He said "SORRY FOR THE MISUNDERSTANDING, HR is currently reviewing my resume and will contact me if they want to move further) This was absurb!! If they don't like me, they can just tell me there is no 2nd group. Why lied to me that they were in the meeting and would contact me to reschedule? Insulting experience!!! One month later, got an email from HR saying they regret they would not extend an offer.......... Very insulting interview experience....

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skillman, NJ

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Skillman, NJ) in May 2010.

Interview

Applied online - took almost 3 months for someone to call back
    Phone interview - took 5 minutes, 2 weeks later called back to take exam
    Written exam - took 30 minutes
    3 on 1 face to face interview

Interview Questions

• They asked about your goals and general questions? Not too tough...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skillman, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Skillman, NJ) in April 2010.

Interview

Round #1: 30-minute phone interview with Human Resources Global Data recruiter, focused on professional experience.
    Round #2: 30-minute two on one in-person interview. Interviewers were managers in the office, not HR reps Questions mostly pertaining to (a) experience and (b) why you would be a good fit for the company.

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Princeton, NJ) in April 2010.

Interview

Very selective, hard to get in, never can go back.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Got what I asked for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skillman, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Skillman, NJ) in November 2009.

Interview

Managers were jerks - very unprofessional and immature. I can see why reviews of Bloomberg are so negative. Additionally, people who are interviewing in the Data division - BEWARE! If you ask them about the position, they talk it up like you're doing financial work and client consulting. They were VERY misleading about the position - you're actually just inputting data (snore) and working the helpdesk (customer support for people who can't figure out Bloomberg's ancient technology).

I advise you to cancel your interview unless you have absolutely no prospects elsewhere. Bloomberg sprays skunk all over your career, and will not help you get into the REAL world of finance.

Interview Questions

Surprisingly, they actually gave me an offer. However, after learning how poor the prospects are at Bloomberg (especially in data), I turned it down. Also, I didn't want to work for such bad management.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in August 2009.

Interview

Basic financial questions about stocks, bonds etc. Had some questions on Credit default swaps, as it was in the news at the time. The interviewer was polite, and it was a pleasant interview process. Asked some questions about my past experience.

Interview Questions

• How does a credit default swap work?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Skillman, NJ

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Skillman, NJ) in September 2008.

Interview

Had phone interview as initial screening and was asked to go into office for in person interview. The interview in the office started with 2 Team Leaders, then interviewed with Product Manager, and finally interviewed with Department Manager. Questions varied widely in each interview and (as I later when through Bloomberg's interview training classes) are based solely on each individual's preferred questions as there are no "standard" questions. Most Bloomberg managers already believe that the interviewing candidate has the basic qualifications for the job, they are simply looking to assess your personality, potential, and ability to fit into Bloomberg's fast paced culture.

Interview Questions

• If your job was to oversee a vending machine, what steps would you take to ensure proper inventory, quality, and sales?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to leave your current employer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate salary/bonus, vacation time, etc. The only request I made was that Bloomberg help to finance my relocation expenses, which they did not do. If the position is more senior, the interviewing candidate would have more negotiating power, but Bloomberg has set salary/bonus and vacation time benefits for entry-level positions.