Bloomberg L.P. Data Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Data Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skillman, NJ

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Skillman, NJ) in June 2010.

Interview

They had 1st round phone interview to do the screening about your backgound and to make sure you are the person they want to bring into 2nd round interview. I was invited to 2nd round and was told they would be 2 interviews for one hour each. (2 persons for each interviews) Those 2 persons on the first gounp were basically trying to introduce Bloomberg terminal and to discuss your interest/background. It took 50 minutes. Then I was expecting for the 2nd group of interview. However, one person came back to tell me the persons of the 2nd group just "happened to" be in the meeting. Then they would like me to go back to re-schedule next interview for 2nd group. HOWEVER, NEVER contact me any more. I tried to call the first HR. NO response. I was lucky to remember one of the interviewers full name. I called Bloomberg operator to ask for this person. I got his voicemail and email. I tried to be polite to confirm the timing of interview (which should have been on the 2nd hour of original interview) by leaving voicemail and sending and email. UNFORTUNATELY, the response was SUCK. He said "SORRY FOR THE MISUNDERSTANDING, HR is currently reviewing my resume and will contact me if they want to move further) This was absurb!! If they don't like me, they can just tell me there is no 2nd group. Why lied to me that they were in the meeting and would contact me to reschedule? Insulting experience!!! One month later, got an email from HR saying they regret they would not extend an offer.......... Very insulting interview experience....

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skillman, NJ

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Skillman, NJ) in May 2010.

Interview

Applied online - took almost 3 months for someone to call back
    Phone interview - took 5 minutes, 2 weeks later called back to take exam
    Written exam - took 30 minutes
    3 on 1 face to face interview

Interview Questions

• They asked about your goals and general questions? Not too tough...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skillman, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Skillman, NJ) in April 2010.

Interview

Round #1: 30-minute phone interview with Human Resources Global Data recruiter, focused on professional experience.
    Round #2: 30-minute two on one in-person interview. Interviewers were managers in the office, not HR reps Questions mostly pertaining to (a) experience and (b) why you would be a good fit for the company.

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Princeton, NJ) in April 2010.

Interview

Very selective, hard to get in, never can go back.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Got what I asked for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skillman, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Skillman, NJ) in November 2009.

Interview

Managers were jerks - very unprofessional and immature. I can see why reviews of Bloomberg are so negative. Additionally, people who are interviewing in the Data division - BEWARE! If you ask them about the position, they talk it up like you're doing financial work and client consulting. They were VERY misleading about the position - you're actually just inputting data (snore) and working the helpdesk (customer support for people who can't figure out Bloomberg's ancient technology).

I advise you to cancel your interview unless you have absolutely no prospects elsewhere. Bloomberg sprays skunk all over your career, and will not help you get into the REAL world of finance.

Interview Questions

Surprisingly, they actually gave me an offer. However, after learning how poor the prospects are at Bloomberg (especially in data), I turned it down. Also, I didn't want to work for such bad management.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in August 2009.

Interview

Basic financial questions about stocks, bonds etc. Had some questions on Credit default swaps, as it was in the news at the time. The interviewer was polite, and it was a pleasant interview process. Asked some questions about my past experience.

Interview Questions

• How does a credit default swap work?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Skillman, NJ

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Skillman, NJ) in September 2008.

Interview

Had phone interview as initial screening and was asked to go into office for in person interview. The interview in the office started with 2 Team Leaders, then interviewed with Product Manager, and finally interviewed with Department Manager. Questions varied widely in each interview and (as I later when through Bloomberg's interview training classes) are based solely on each individual's preferred questions as there are no "standard" questions. Most Bloomberg managers already believe that the interviewing candidate has the basic qualifications for the job, they are simply looking to assess your personality, potential, and ability to fit into Bloomberg's fast paced culture.

Interview Questions

• If your job was to oversee a vending machine, what steps would you take to ensure proper inventory, quality, and sales?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to leave your current employer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate salary/bonus, vacation time, etc. The only request I made was that Bloomberg help to finance my relocation expenses, which they did not do. If the position is more senior, the interviewing candidate would have more negotiating power, but Bloomberg has set salary/bonus and vacation time benefits for entry-level positions.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

The interview process has 4 rounds -
    1) Phone interview with HR - expected to know about Bloomberg, its history, different wings etc, understanding of the job role and department you have applied to
    2) Interview with the department head - fairly straightforward. Behavioural interviews - questions about your CV, past experiences, ability to deal with problems at work, main motivators etc

There are two more rounds involving interview with managers

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you faced an issue with your project and how did you solve it?   Answer Question
    • What motivates and demotivates you to come to work?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied online and got an invitation to a telephone interview with a big warning to prepare beforehand - which I did of course. The company recruiter duly called and ran through the job and started asking really detailed and demanding questions. But the more this went on the more I realised the recruiter had no idea what I was talking about as they had a very fixed idea of what their ideal person had to be. It was obvious the position was also very junior (despite the high power job spec) as was the interviewer. I was explaining my experience and they clearly had little understanding - which is pointless for an interview. This made for a frustrating interview. I could do the job easily as I already do it for another company but the interviewer just didn't know what I was talking about. I received a rejection email about a week later. Which was not a surprise.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Bloomberg and its products. Asked detailed questions about financial markets. Asked about my experience but they didn't understand it. On reflection their questioning was far too high a level considering the role was junior. Asked quite aggressively about what salary I wanted but refused point blank to give any indication of potential salary ranges to role might carry.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Normal interview process, instead of a 1:1 interview we communicated via their video system. The interviewers were very professional and quick to inform on the next steps of the process. The only negative part was the feedback procedure which consisted of a 1-2 minute conversation over the phone in which I was given my feedback by someone I never spoke with from HR.

Interview Questions

• Name 2 weaknesses.
      Do you understand the role and what it implies?
      Answer Question