Bloomberg L.P. Data Analyst Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Data Analyst Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Aug 14, 2017

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

After I submitted my application, HR contacted me right away. It took them 3 weeks to schedule a phone interview. After I have passed the phone Interview, I got to the second round (again, it took them 3 weeks...) which was in my case a video interview with 2 team leaders. I have interviewed within a variety of industries (consulting, banking etc.) but I have never experienced a poor and unqualified interview process like this. After coming 10 minutes late to the interview, the team leaders who interviewed me started reading my CV (totally unprepared). They did not know what to ask, which is why they kept asking the same question over and over again - totally nonsense. After talking about it for 20 minutes they came up with the idea to make a role play. They explained some background information which already showed that they have no clue about finance whatsoever. It makes me kind of laugh now when reminding myself of the interview. After having said that it could be a good opportunity for me to learn from my team members, one of the team leader said (quote): "You cannot learn from anyone in the team really, they kind of suck, which is why we want to bring in someone experienced!".
There is a lot of negative feedback here on glasdoor. I used to think that those are from candidates who were rejected and are kind of frustrated now. But I have been proven wrong, they indeed suck.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview:
    - Guide me through your CV
    - Why Global Data?
    - Why this particular asset class?
    - Based on past experience, was there a time in which the client was unhappy and how did you deal with it?
    - Where do we source our data from?

Video Interview:
    -What is your motivation to apply for this role
    - Role play

They expect you to have prepared a bunch of questions, my phone interview for example was after 10 minutes over!   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Video interview with 7 questions;

Invited to the Bloomberg office to meet the team leader from fundamentals and estimates (yes, that's right. They don't even have an ESG team leader). I have a feeling that the interviewers have very limited knowledge about ESG data, especially when I mentioned the TCFD which was initiated by their boss Mike Bloomberg, they seemed absolutely clueless. Also, they stressed that the position itself is very repetitive and requires a lot of manual data uploading tasks, which is nowhere near "analytical" as the title has suggested.

Also, the Bloomberg ESG data team (not Bloomberg Intelligence!) just sucks generally speaking. For instance, if you ask the helpdesk about "the carbon intensity of a fund", something less obvious than "water usage of Starbucks", you would be lucky to get an answer in less than half an hour. ESG is definitely not embedded in decision making or the corporate culture.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied online and got an invitation to a telephone interview with a big warning to prepare beforehand - which I did of course. The company recruiter duly called and ran through the job and started asking really detailed and demanding questions. But the more this went on the more I realised the recruiter had no idea what I was talking about as they had a very fixed idea of what their ideal person had to be. It was obvious the position was also very junior (despite the high power job spec) as was the interviewer. I was explaining my experience and they clearly had little understanding - which is pointless for an interview. This made for a frustrating interview. I could do the job easily as I already do it for another company but the interviewer just didn't know what I was talking about. I received a rejection email about a week later. Which was not a surprise.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Bloomberg and its products. Asked detailed questions about financial markets. Asked about my experience but they didn't understand it. On reflection their questioning was far too high a level considering the role was junior. Asked quite aggressively about what salary I wanted but refused point blank to give any indication of potential salary ranges to role might carry.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Normal interview process, instead of a 1:1 interview we communicated via their video system. The interviewers were very professional and quick to inform on the next steps of the process. The only negative part was the feedback procedure which consisted of a 1-2 minute conversation over the phone in which I was given my feedback by someone I never spoke with from HR.

Interview Questions

• Name 2 weaknesses.
      Do you understand the role and what it implies?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

In-house interview was the worst interview experience of my life. The team leader looked like she is falling asleep and did not want to be there. I could see she really did not like me for some reason and even though I answered all technical questions really well, knew ALL answers, had 3 years off similar experience working for the competitor, they send me an automated email saying I am not suitable. I called hr and they told me that my accounting skills were not good... WHAT?!

Interview Questions

• Name 3 financial statements. How to check that the balance sheet is correct. What if I make you input data for 3 months? A year? 2 years? 4 qualities of a manager? Why would our team like you? What if your colleague did not do her work, went for a holiday and then our client called and told you he needs it now?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Interview

The interview process could not even started because the person who told me to have an interview did not show up on the interview, I waited the whole day for them to call me. After I sent two emails asking for a feedback since they were the one who contacted me to have an interview with them. I never seen a company with a disrespectful attitude like this. I am very dissapointed to see a company like Bloomberg acting so unprofessional. This is very upsetting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

I was in the first round telephone interview. I prepared and tried my best. The HR was nice. But I still didn't get further. She said they prefer someone who can speak another European language.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Interview Details Online application followed by a 20 minute phone interview and a face to face meeting ( if based in London ) or video conference.
    Phone interview was very generic/basic
    • CV Walkthrough
    • Why Bloomberg?
    • What do you know about the company?
    • What do you know about the role?
    • What’s the difference between good and great customer service?
    • How do you keep up to date with financial news?

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in March 2014.

Interview

Started with online application, then phone interview, then one on one in their office, then with head of department twice, then got the job. I did not know I was going to get the job because I felt I dint answer very well and dint prepare for it. I was surprised wen I was called.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in March 2014.

Interview

First a phone interview then there is 3 interviews after that. The face to face is with two people and that's the hardest which they a play a little good cop bad cop game on you or bad cop bad cop depending on who interviews. Then you have the same set up for the second one and the final is with the department manager and its only that person.

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg?
      Who are our competitors?
      What relative skills do you have for the role?
      Why is customer service so important?   1 Answer