Bloomberg L.P. Financial Applications Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Financial Applications Engineer Interview Questions

3.3

Financial Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied online, got a phone interview. They had a lot of applicants; I believe the job is currently filled (2014).
Phone interview had only tech questions. Interviewee picked at my resume and posed in depth questions about SQL that I used for a project. I was stumped on some questions that I thought were unfair. (e.g. I was asked how I would implement a Foreign key constraint if I were designing that algorithm)
I was then asked for a sorting algorithm and Big O. Then how I would sort the array if I knew the range of integers.
Didn't know data structures/algorithms for interview and it hurt my interview...didn't receive an offer and I wasn't surprised.

Interview Questions

• How would you implement a Foreign key constraint if you were to design it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Financial Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I met Bloomberg recruiters at the career fair and dropped my resume. I spoke to them for 5-6 minutes but wasn't sure if they liked me or not. They called me the same day and scheduled an interview for the following day at my school campus. The interview was a 45 minute technical interview led by 2 mid-level employees. I stumbled a lot but they seemed to like me. I got a call back the same day to schedule another interview for the next day. It was another 45 minute technical interview led by other 2 mid-level employees. I did really well in this interview and I was called back the same day again to schedule the final interview for the following week (again on my school campus).
    The final interview was suppose to be 45 minutes of behavioral interview and a 45 minute technical interview. The behavioral interview was with an HR person and it was very short, it only took 15 minutes. Then the technical interview was led by a high level employee. The questions were difficult, I failed to give the correct answer but the interviewer seemed to like my thinking process. I was told that they would get back to me in a week and I was offered a job a week later. I was given three weeks to make my decision. They also flew me out to visit Bloomberg before I had to make my decision. Their offer was by far the best offer I received, so I accepted the job offer.

Interview Questions

• Given a matrix where all columns and rows are sorted and an integer k. How would you find k in the matrix?   2 Answers

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Financial Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2012.

Interview

On-campus interview following university career fair. Two interviewers, both computer science people. Very unprofessional, one was wearing torn jeans and sandals and the other was playing with phone/texting during interview. Very young interviewers.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about extracting individual digits from, and reversing the order of a 6 digit number in any programming language you are familiar with. Write out code on blank piece of paper.   1 Answer

Financial Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Found position via University Career center and met with representitives at Engineering Career fair. At the fair, they asked basic questions on some programming (why use linked lists vs arrays) and another simple brain teaser while looking at my resume. They then schedule an interview for the next day. During the interview they went over my resume and then asked technical questions that ranged from writing psuedo-code to critical thinking problems.

Interview Questions

• Given prices for stocks on 10 days, write a program that would suggest the best day to buy and best day to sell. (The not brute force way)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

First talked with their representatives on a career fair at my university. Then an on-campus interview with one employee from them. Later on got invited to on-site interview. Fly to their New York Office and was led to interview with two people for about an hour. They cared more about technical questions than who I am. Pretty much all technical questions.

Interview Questions

• how to cut a 7-piece gold in two cut so that you can pay one employee one piece of gold for 7 days.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

Applied online, then online test about logistics, problem solving, verbal etc., phone interview talking about background and some technical detail and programming about linked list. Finally, an on-site interview in their NYC office with two interviewers and an observer. Went over the resume first, then asked problem solving, brain teaser, programming related to hash table, linked list and wrote code on the paper they provided.

Interview Questions

• Some problems were quite difficult for this position. Maybe the interviewers didn't like me personally.
      Check if two linked list intersect, if so, find the intersection point. Travelling salesman problem.
      2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

I had two interviews with Bloomberg. The first was an on campus interview consisting of general questions about my programming projects, basic data structures problems, and a brain teaser. The second interview was on site and consisted of two interviews. One was behavioral and the next was entirely about algorithms and data structures.

Interview Questions

• The question about dropping two eggs from a 100 story building. I forgot the question exactly, but I remember seeing it on Glassdoor before.   Answer Question

Financial Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2012.

Interview

First round, taking online IQ test. Mathematic problems as well as abstract reasoning problems. Second round, phone interview with a current financial application engineer. Asked about probability, brain teaser, and simple algorithm problems. Was asked to attend an in-house interview the next day. Third round, in-house interview with two R&D specialists. Asked why the role and what I would like to do. Then several C++ and algorithm questions. I did poorly on one of these questions.. Later they also asked things relevant to my major(not a CS major) which I answered pretty well. At the end of the interview, I was asked to stay in the room. Thought the I passed and was expecting for the next rounds. Yet the recruiting contact person showed up and lead me out of the building.... Thought I did well on most of the questions though.

Interview Questions

• How would you count number of words in a sentence in C++?   Answer Question

Financial Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2012.

Interview

I attended a Career Fair at my college, I couple days later I received an email asking me to schedule a time for an on-campus interview. The On-Campus interview was pretty easy, just asked me about my resume and some basic interview questions. I received an email a day or two later asking me to take the next step in the application process by completing an online skills assessment. I thought it was going to be easy maybe some basic math problems and count how many times a certain letter would appear but I underestimated it. Yes there was some of those questions but keep in mind each question is timed. You have two minutes to answer each question.

Interview Questions

• If there are 7 blue balls, 4 greens, 5 yellow, 2 green and in the first position there is a blue ball and in the fourth is a yellow, and the blues cant be next to another blue and green have to be next to each other, what color ball is in the third position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

After passing the resume screen, I was contacted by a Bloomberg rep about taking an IQ test. The test took me about 0.5-1 hrs and comprised of logic, math, and teaser questions. After passing the test, I was contacted again about scheduling a phone interview. I sent in my available times and received an email about a week later confirming a time slot. The phone interview lasted about an hour and was technical. I got a programming question and two logic brainteasers. The interviewer was very nice and generally helped me work through the problems, but I even so, I couldn't answer one of the questions. I think this is why I didn't make it past this round (he was dropping REALLY big hints, can't believe I didn't get it).

Interview Questions

• My clock is 9 minutes slow every hour. At noon, it tells the correct time. After how many hours will it again tell the correct time?   3 Answers