Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions

Updated May 18, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone interview did not get through the second stage. The interview process is quite frustrating. Even though I taught I did great but it still was not enough for the interviewer

Interview Questions

• What do you know about bloomberg? why this position? Whay is equity? What is bond? Why sales and analytics? What is your understanding of this role?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in March 2014.

Interview

phone interviews and face to face at london

quick check of your cv?
    why bloomberg? why this position? what are your quality for this job? how do you sell a terminal over reuters?
    convence me to exhange my iphone for your blackberry

Interview Questions

• what is a bond? what is put option? and they you to graph the payoff of severals financial products   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in May 2014.

Interview

Phone Interview first which was basic. I got fast tracked to the final interview.
    The final interview was very intense and fast paced. Questions like- what is the larger figure 40% of 60 of 60% of 40? They're the same.
    You need to have a keen interest in the financial markets and know what make companies valuable.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2013.

Interview

I applied through online. Recruiting captain email me to schedule for a phone interview. The interview was about 40-45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer was kept asking me why I applied for Bloomberg and why this position. He was not convinced my answer, so he kept asking me more specific reasons. Then, he asked me to give him my own analysis of my former employer's stock price.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in July 2013.

Interview

I applied online. An HR manager called me to scheudule a time for interview. The HR interview is very easy. You just need to introduce yourself and that's it. After the HR interveiw, I am then to interview with the sales manager.During the interview, it is basically based on why you choose Bloomberg and why this position.

Interview Questions

• Why choose this "inprofessional" position?
      It is because I am another professional qualification holder.
      Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Had online tests, video interview, language test and team leader interview. The first three stages were pretty standard, got the questions as posted on this page. I've read both positive and negative stories about the team leader interview, but mine was overall a positive experience. I went in pretty nervous, but they eased me into the interview and made it more like a comfortable conversation. They were mostly interested to see whether I'm genuinely passionate about the financial industry and Bloomberg. I passed it, and am waiting for my manager interview.
    Some questions i remember: Why Bloomberg? Why Sales and Analytics? What makes you stand out of all other candidates? In-depth understanding of the Bloomberg business.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Very long process. Interviewers weren't very nice.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vienna (Austria)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Vienna (Austria)) in April 2017.

Interview

Relatively good. It's a mixture of easy and difficult questions but manageable. You start off with a preliminary interview (in my case at my university) where the role is presented to you and you go through your CV with a representative from Bloomberg. Then you take a numerical test online and once ou pass that you are invited to the regional Bloomberg office where you will have an hour-long interview with team leaders who will grill you. If you pass this part then you will be invited to London to have an interview with the Head of the regional group you will work for (in my case EMEA).

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg? (The most important Question throughout the whole process)
      Talk about current financial event and how it affects investors (or clients of Bloomberg)
      Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

After cover letter and CV submission, I was invited to take a numerical reasoning test that was untimed. After passing that, I was invited to answer 7 timed (90 seconds) questions. (I suggest practicing succinct answering for that part!) Then I was invited to a F2F 1-hour interview with two team leaders from both sales and analytics. Second round F2F was 1 hour with two managers from both sales and analytics. Final round was 1hr F2F with the regional head of department.

Interview Questions

• Explain to me why the price of oil is where it is at now. Why has it gone up and then down so much in the past years.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Ok, Let me start off by saying this was by far the most intense interview process that I've been through. I spent days studying, compiling the interview questions on Glassdoor and really practicing them. The process started as follows:

1. Apply Online
    2. Numerical Test
    3. Video Interview
    4. Interview with Team leads (1 from sales, 1 from analytics)
    5. Interview with Analytics manager & Head of Sales

Video interview:
    The video interview was definitely a new experience for me. It was intimidating given that you are given 30 seconds to prepare for the question, and 90 seconds to answer. There is only one shot.

1. Practice question
    2. What motivated you to make an application to Analytics & Sales?
    3. Please explain your understanding of what your day-to-day role would be like working in the analytics department.
    4. At Bloomberg, our core product is the Bloomberg Terminal. Please talk me through some of the additional financial products and services we offer our clients.
    5. Being interested in the financial markets is critical to the Analytics and Sales role. Please talk me through how one of the following news stories has impacted the financial markets in the past year: 1. The UK referendum on exiting the European Union 2. China's impact on global growth and the implications for developed markets. 3. Recent changes to US Federal Reserve monetary policy.
    6. What attracts you to working in a client facing role and what do you believe would make you successful ?
    7. Imagine you are due to meet a prospective client for the first time. How will you make sure the meeting will be a success? What will be your approach before, during, and after the meeting?

Interview with team leads:
    This interview which from what I have read from reviews on Glassdoor, is the most difficult. However, in my case this was the most laid back. They had read my CV and were interested in getting to know me.

1. Walk me through your CV and give me the main take-away from each position
    2. What have you been doing in the past year?
    3. Why Bloomberg?
    4. Why London?
    5. Why Sales & Analytics?
    6. How well do you understand how we make money?
    7. What do you think you will be doing in Sales & Analytics?
    8. What would you do to stand out in program?
    9. Although you will be receiving financial training, its training about the financial markets and how it relates to the terminal as you will be helping customers use the terminal. We don't actually work in the financial markets. Does this still interest you?
    10. How do deal with a client who wants a discount or will cut terminals to achieve discount. They are also cutting competitors.
    11. What type of customer or prospect would you target to subscribe to BB services, given that we are pretty much saturated in banks, asset management firms, etc.
    12. What have you been following in the markets. Please explain what you have been following and how this affects Bloomberg and it's clients.

Interview with Analytics manager & Head of Sales:
    I am trying to remain impartial while writing this part, but this was by far the worst part of the interview process for me. One of the interviewers had no interest in getting to know me. The other interviewer from analytics, backed up and said she wanted to get to know me and asked me where I was from etc. The sales interviewer was rude, aggressive and showed no interest from the very beginning. Ultimately in this interview there was a role play to sell an item, which I completely bombed, however this is a training program and no previous experience is sales or finance is required.

1. Why Sales? Why Bloomberg?
    2. Your answers are generic, tell me why?
    3. Let's back up, tell me where you're from and walk me through your CV.
    4. If you had to choose main selling point of Bloomberg terminal, what would it be and why?
    5. Again what you said is pretty generic.
    6. Sell me something that you like. my case a computer. They will give you a scenario. Role play begins now.

From this interview, I felt like I had obviously completely bombed it, starting off on the wrong foot with the sales interviewer and then failing the sales roll play. HOWEVER, I received an e-mail from HR saying that they were trying to contact me regarding my interview. From what I have read, Bloomberg calls you to talk to you about your offer before sending via e-mail. In my case, I received a phone call from HR, asking me how I thought I did in the interview, and then telling me the managers had decided that I would not be selected for this position. THIS by far was the worst. I would have much rather received a rejection e-mail. But to call and tell me that, was a slap in the face. It really changed my perspective (The whole experience.) I felt that I crossed 3 deserts and 5 seas through this whole process, the amount of time invested to work for a "glorified call center." I am trying not to be bitter, but this is just the reality.