Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview and it was very basic. I applied online and they got back to me in two weeks to schedule a phone interview. The interview was exactly what you would expect and I got invited back for the next round.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Champaign, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

It's campus interview.

There are 3 back-to-bakc interview in a row with 2 HR and one senior financial sales manager.
    All questions are behavioral and they especially focused on how would you interact with clients since this job is actually customer-oriented. To be honest the questions are not hard and the HR people were very very nice. But I was a little shocked when the manager acted as an angry client and asked me to comfort him.

Also I think it's Bloomberg's policy that they dont provide name card and they will say you can just connect them on Linkedin but the truth is they never confirm your invitation. So it is hard to build personal connection with them for the follow-up.

Interview Questions

• What will you do to comfort an angry client?
      Try to sell something to HR
      Talk about an experience when you teach people something
      Talk about one time you help clients on their work
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

All of the questions in the phone call are straight from Glassdoor. Read through all of the questions and you should be fine. Heard back one day after my phone call interview with the recruiter and was invited to a half day visit to the Bloomberg SF office. We met with Team Leaders, toured the office and got free lunch on our way out. 2 of the team leaders interviewed me, both one at a time. Very friendly and mainly asked for examples of times that I dealt with a difficult customer or had to learn something quickly. Next, we were divided into teams and had to pick apart a financial article and determine what our thoughts were on the article. Read lots of financial market articles and you should be fine (read off Bloomberg & Bloomberg Opinion)

Interview Questions

• What are your thoughts on the current state of the economy?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

Standard phone screen about a week after submitting my application. Then I was flown out to the NYC office for Super Day. You'll do things in varying orders because you're put into 3 groups of 6 (approximately), but your activities for the day are: Group office tour with someone who has been in the role for a few months, teamwork activity, then an hour of interviewing. In-all less than 3 hours.

The tour is standard. It's a little more informal. Perfect time to ask more lighthearted questions about Bloomberg's culture, what the role is like, etc. Our guide was really friendly and helpful.

The group activity didn't feel important because the manager who administered it seemed agitated he had to be there (he noted it was the first time they have tried this activity). You have 15 minutes to complete your task. Correctness AND methods matter, but it wasn't an extreme amount of pressure.

The interviews were done in a room with all of your other group members going at the same time. I actually felt more comfortable this way. You have two 30-minute interviews: one with a sales team leader, and someone who is an analytics team leader. Questions are about how your background would make you ideal for the role, etc. They'll also take a look at an experience and formulate a sales question related to it (In my case, how would I sell Terminal to an academic institution also looking at Eikon). Knowledge of events impacting the markets is a must. However, you drive the conversation so stick to talking about events that interest you. Brush up.

Here's where things lost transparency. Out of state applicants were cryptically invited to stay behind afterwards to "verify travel plans" but in reality they scheduled us for another hour-long interview. I didn't know this was a possibility. Keep the afternoon following Super Day free. If you are not invited to this extra interview, you are out.

This interview required more knowledge of the financial services industry and Bloomberg's competitors than the previous two. You'll be talking to someone higher on the food chain, so stay sharp. If you're like me who didn't have a sales background, you're going to have to do quite a bit of convincing.

Afterwards, I was immediately approached by my recruiter and she said the manager had nothing but good things to say, and that she would contact me regarding next steps. I was confused, because I thought surely that must be it. Three hours later I received an email to set up ANOTHER interview with the North America sales director.

Whether or not you receive an offer, this interview is as far as you go. One of the questions I was asked is below. It was only 30 minutes long and done over the phone due to technical issues with their video conference software. If you're local, I'm sure this is done in-person. You'll have to go over your background again, and you'll get yet another description of the career path.

By the way, I think it's useful to go into this process knowing how you'll fit into Bloomberg's culture. However, they didn't hammer cultural fit as much as I thought. Secondly, in my last two interviews I was asked if I would get bored. This is in reference to the fact that your first 8 months or so tend to be spent on their Help Desk and in training. The Help Desk is consultative, but as a generalist you can't really answer the more complex, interesting questions. So be prepared to explain why you love helping people use software.

Interview Questions

• If you were on our sales floor right now and we got a call, what would you say if I handed the phone to you and you had five minutes to talk to the client?   1 Answer

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Interview

Phone Call, 1 on 2 in person interview, followed by shadowing and tour, waited a week to hear back. invited back for final in person interview with manager. waited a week and a half to hear back. The interviewers were generally nice and responsive.The HR department needs some tuning up though.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2015.

Interview

phone interview, in person super day ( 4 hours at the firm, two on one interview, group interview, tour of firm). Good experience but very competitive. Lots of applicants for very few spots.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Lansing, MI) in December 2015.

Interview

Had to interview for 4 rounds and still waiting for the last round. Low efficiency, months of waiting (first on-campus interview happened around december and it's been 3 months and I'm still waiting for the last round). But it's truly a great company. Apply for sure if you can wait long.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2015.

Interview

Please note this was my first real interview: I was given a 15 minute screener and was not exactly explained fully what the position entailed. Didn't feel like anything I was saying was received well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone interview with basic screening questions followed by in-house interview with managers from sales and analytics departments and another group work exercise measuring teamwork skills. Questions were easy and basic; the main point to remember is that this is a position oriented toward sales of the Terminal after the training program and the experience working as a help desk operator for the Terminal users. Be ready to show your enthusiasm toward sales and knowledge of the company.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

This was a horrible interview process. They were very slow and getting back at me and the HR representative who contacted me did not even half of the times available as she originally offered. Finally I figured out a time to interview and when the interview started they asked my GPA. When I did not meet their GPA requirement they said there must have been a mistake and that I could not continue. The interview that was supposed to be an hour lasted 3 min.