Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 27, 2017

3.1

385 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Standard phone screen: simple behavioral and resume questions. Intent on knowing why you think you are would be strong in sales. Then on-site rotational interview, preceded by guided tour of office facilities.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied online and received an email stating that I was selected for a first round interview. Answered typical phone interview questions which gaged interest and qualifications. Did well and was invited to a super day.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing about the job description that appeals to you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

I had an initial interview with HR and then moved onto the next round in their New York offices. The first part is shadowing and touring the offices, which are so cool!!! Then you have a 2 v 1 interview with someone from Analytics and someone from Sales. No technical questions, just fit and behavioral. They ask about your experiences and if you have any in sales and why this position is appealing to you. Just do your research and you'll be fine. After this we had a quick group activity which was SUPER easy so don't even worry about it. They just want to see how you work with others and what you prioritize. After that they brought our group together (approx. 7 people) and the HR coordinate walked each of us out separately. She walked me out and told me that they wanted to continue my interviewing process and that my next interview, with someone who was senior in Sales. At first he was a little aloof but as we started talking more I believe we hit it off. He had me sell him my favorite app, which at first I don't think I sold him on but then we did the same scenario again after I identified my flaws and it went much better. After this I was greeted by the same HR coordinate who informed me that I had made it to the last and final round, with their global head, who lucky for me had a small window of time that afternoon and if I felt ok on time (my flight was at 7 and by this time it was 3:45 PM...) then I could do it in person or do the last round via Skype when I returned to school. Obviously I chose in person. She was tough. BE READY! She will ask you about their portal and the program and your financial experience and why you are interested in financial services and financial markets. I wasn't as sharp as I should have been and fumbled on some questions. Granted, I do not believe having all three rounds in one day is their typical format. But be ready to sell yourself to them and why you love sales but also be prepared to share your knowledge of the financial industry.

Interview Questions

• Sell me your favorite app? Do you know what the Bloomberg Terminal does? Why is it attractive to our customers?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

There was a phone screen that quickly followed my application. Basic questions and I was soon asked to come to a super day. Everyone was really friendly and the questions were not too bad at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

The first phone interview is very easy. Unfortunately, I panicked during the interview and did not end up getting invited back to the second round, but I think if you use the other suggestions on Glassdoor and are relaxed, you should definitely do a lot better than I did. Goodluck.

Interview Questions

• Are you following any news on the financial market?
      Tell me about yourself.
      Tell me about the job you applied for.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview and it was very basic. I applied online and they got back to me in two weeks to schedule a phone interview. The interview was exactly what you would expect and I got invited back for the next round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Champaign, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

It's campus interview.

There are 3 back-to-bakc interview in a row with 2 HR and one senior financial sales manager.
    All questions are behavioral and they especially focused on how would you interact with clients since this job is actually customer-oriented. To be honest the questions are not hard and the HR people were very very nice. But I was a little shocked when the manager acted as an angry client and asked me to comfort him.

Also I think it's Bloomberg's policy that they dont provide name card and they will say you can just connect them on Linkedin but the truth is they never confirm your invitation. So it is hard to build personal connection with them for the follow-up.

Interview Questions

• What will you do to comfort an angry client?
      Try to sell something to HR
      Talk about an experience when you teach people something
      Talk about one time you help clients on their work   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

All of the questions in the phone call are straight from Glassdoor. Read through all of the questions and you should be fine. Heard back one day after my phone call interview with the recruiter and was invited to a half day visit to the Bloomberg SF office. We met with Team Leaders, toured the office and got free lunch on our way out. 2 of the team leaders interviewed me, both one at a time. Very friendly and mainly asked for examples of times that I dealt with a difficult customer or had to learn something quickly. Next, we were divided into teams and had to pick apart a financial article and determine what our thoughts were on the article. Read lots of financial market articles and you should be fine (read off Bloomberg & Bloomberg Opinion)

Interview Questions

• What are your thoughts on the current state of the economy?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Typical phone screening, then an in person interview in the San Francisco office (a few hours long if you move to the second round - first round in person and second round you skype with the director of sales from New York). They got back to me within a few days with an offer.

Interview Questions

• In the phone screening - Do you read the news, do you follow economic/financial news? if so, what are some recent headlines? (name 3-4).

In person interview - why bloomberg? Why sales? why finance? Describe a time that you had to make a difficult decision. A few finance and econ questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

Standard phone screen about a week after submitting my application. Then I was flown out to the NYC office for Super Day. You'll do things in varying orders because you're put into 3 groups of 6 (approximately), but your activities for the day are: Group office tour with someone who has been in the role for a few months, teamwork activity, then an hour of interviewing. In-all less than 3 hours.

The tour is standard. It's a little more informal. Perfect time to ask more lighthearted questions about Bloomberg's culture, what the role is like, etc. Our guide was really friendly and helpful.

The group activity didn't feel important because the manager who administered it seemed agitated he had to be there (he noted it was the first time they have tried this activity). You have 15 minutes to complete your task. Correctness AND methods matter, but it wasn't an extreme amount of pressure.

The interviews were done in a room with all of your other group members going at the same time. I actually felt more comfortable this way. You have two 30-minute interviews: one with a sales team leader, and someone who is an analytics team leader. Questions are about how your background would make you ideal for the role, etc. They'll also take a look at an experience and formulate a sales question related to it (In my case, how would I sell Terminal to an academic institution also looking at Eikon). Knowledge of events impacting the markets is a must. However, you drive the conversation so stick to talking about events that interest you. Brush up.

Here's where things lost transparency. Out of state applicants were cryptically invited to stay behind afterwards to "verify travel plans" but in reality they scheduled us for another hour-long interview. I didn't know this was a possibility. Keep the afternoon following Super Day free. If you are not invited to this extra interview, you are out.

This interview required more knowledge of the financial services industry and Bloomberg's competitors than the previous two. You'll be talking to someone higher on the food chain, so stay sharp. If you're like me who didn't have a sales background, you're going to have to do quite a bit of convincing.

Afterwards, I was immediately approached by my recruiter and she said the manager had nothing but good things to say, and that she would contact me regarding next steps. I was confused, because I thought surely that must be it. Three hours later I received an email to set up ANOTHER interview with the North America sales director.

Whether or not you receive an offer, this interview is as far as you go. One of the questions I was asked is below. It was only 30 minutes long and done over the phone due to technical issues with their video conference software. If you're local, I'm sure this is done in-person. You'll have to go over your background again, and you'll get yet another description of the career path.

By the way, I think it's useful to go into this process knowing how you'll fit into Bloomberg's culture. However, they didn't hammer cultural fit as much as I thought. Secondly, in my last two interviews I was asked if I would get bored. This is in reference to the fact that your first 8 months or so tend to be spent on their Help Desk and in training. The Help Desk is consultative, but as a generalist you can't really answer the more complex, interesting questions. So be prepared to explain why you love helping people use software.

Interview Questions

• If you were on our sales floor right now and we got a call, what would you say if I handed the phone to you and you had five minutes to talk to the client?   1 Answer