Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

First Round- Phone interview with HR, just know your resume and how your experience can relate to the job description. Know about Bloomberg's history and their competitors, as well as their products. Nothing too difficult, just type out some notes to have in front of you while on the phone, just try not to sound rehearsed. Second Round- they emailed me and gave me 3 options to fly out to NYC and attend a super-day interview. I went on the last day, and there were only 3 other people attending. Shadowed a current employee for 20 minutes, be sure to seem interested in the job. Next, a tour of the building and then a 2 on 1 interview with someone from sales and someone from analytics. Again, just basic questions, know your resume and be prepared to give examples of how you are a good fit for this role. There was also a group exercise where they pair you with another candidate and watch how you work in a team. Personally, I think I was less than enthusiastic about the job, and I think it showed in the interview. If you do well, they have you interview with higher up executives, but I did not make it to the next round. All in all, a good practice experience and great chance to see the famed Bloomberg Office, but be aware that this job is basically just customer service and sales, with opportunities to branch out after the first year. not for everybody, but a good fit for some.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2015.

Interview

Conversational, mainly questions about sales and how to approach customer service. Questions about my experience with sales. Also, questions about interest in finance and particularly Bloomberg. I had to talk about why I would be a useful on the help desk, and how my previous experience had prepared for that. How I would deal with a difficult client, and experience with that.

Interview Questions

• What is a financial event are you following and how do you think it will impact the economy?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied via online recruiting website and received an invitation to the first round of interview within a week. The first interview was easy, asking general basic questions such as "Why Bloomberg", "What is your strength", and such. Then I received another invitation to the in-house video conference interview with 2 team leaders that is supposed to take 60 minutes in total.

Interview Questions

• -Why Bloomberg
      -How much do you know about our team's work?
      -How did you know about Bloomberg
      -What is your strength
      -Why financial institutions?
      -What was your hardest project ever done in your college?

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Submitted Resume. They took a while to get back to me. About 3 weeks. Had an initial phone screening interview which was basic questions and interest in Bloomberg. Went to the office for Round 2. Was interviewed by 2 individuals. They ask about your interest in Sales and Bloomberg and what the terminal, products, and competitors are. You have to show that you are interested in economics, sales, business (i.e. took courses in college, follow business news and stats). Have to be enthusiastic about Bloomberg as well. Interview was over at 12pm so i knew i didn't make the next round. Also got to briefly shadow workers. You to engage with them and seem interested.

Interview Questions

• What is the Bloomberg terminal? It's competitiors   2 Answers

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

First there was a phone screening from HR where I was asked about my interest in the position, Bloomberg, and behavioral type questions about my past experiences. Later that week I got an email asking that I come into their office for a first round in-house interview (aka their Super Day). The super day was intense - there were about 25 of us. They set us up in a large conference room with speed dating type tables. I interviewed with a person from Sales and another from Analytics (each was a half hour long). They asked behavioral questions and some finance questions. Generally they want to get a feel for why you choose Bloomberg. The same day they took us on a tour of the building and showed a brief overview of "the Bloomberg."
    I was asked back for a second in-house interview where I met with a senior sales manager and a senior executive. This final round was much more difficult. They really tested my knowledge of sales and finance.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between sell side and buy side?
      What are the current stories you're following in the market?
      Have you used the terminal before?
      Sell me you favorite app.
      Why are you interested in sales?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied on the Bloomberg website and it took a couple of weeks to hear back from them. Once I did hear back from them, I received an e-mail asking to schedule a phone interview. After that, I received the phone call from New York at the scheduled time. It was all straight forward, but I did not hear back for another two weeks after the initial phone interview. The process was very slow.

Interview Questions

• They asked questions mostly related to job and its functions: What you knew about it? Potential scenarios in sales and how you would address it. Also questioned on current market events and what stories you are following.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email saying they want a phone interview. Basic questions was asked: told me to go through my resume and explain some key points and what questions I had for the company. Phone interview was pretty standard. Received an email 2 days later asking me for availability for 2nd round interview. Hopefully everything goes well

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

phone interview --> interview day (about 30 other candidates taking tour of office and doing two speed dating style interviews with other applicants in the room)--> shadowing of a Bloomberg employee who currently holds position and then meeting with two managers (one sales, one analytics)...mostly behavioral questions about what you've done and if you have previous sales experience. don't say you have interest in anything other than what you're applying for they'll hold it against you if you say you want to be at a big bank, hedge fund, etc.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I applied online in October for the January 2015 Product Sales & Analytics position and received an invitation to do a phone interview several weeks later. Following the phone interview, I did not receive an invitation for the second round, in person interview until late November/early December. The second round was a "career day" feature of the company which included a tour, a Bloomberg terminal overview and two sequential interviews with current employees. Several weeks later I was invited back for a third round. This consisted of a 30 minute shadow opportunity of a person currently working in the role followed by a 2 v 1 group interview.

Interview Questions

• Second round: Explain a difficult financial concept (to the interviewer) and pretend they had no experience with finance/economics.
      If you could only choose one, would you rather do sales or analytics?
      How do you handle sequential customers who are not interested in the product you are selling?

Financial Analytics and Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume online and a recruiter reached out to me the next day with a generic email asking me to fill out the answers to 9 questions. I wrote back and they set a phone interview for 2 weeks later. The phone interview was easy and they set another interview two weeks later, and then another... now it's been yet another two weeks and I still haven't heard back from anyone. They just fell off the face of the earth after a 1.5 month process. The lack of professionalism is unbelievable and they don't value your time at all. Also, if you're an experienced hire, the interview is really not a good measure of how much you know because they ask you college level economics definitions. If you're a normal person then all that rubbish fell out the side of your head as soon as you graduated (which for me was 8 years ago.) They don't ask you any finance questions at all. They will ask you why bloomberg about 10 times with every interviewer. And they will harp on your reasons for wanting the job each and every time too because you're an experienced hire and this is basically a glorified help-desk role.

All in all, they are very disorganized, very unprofessional, very impersonal, and they don't give you a timeline on anything. I applied for an April opening and they didn't get the ball rolling until March. Mind you, I applied February 1st. They said they were considering me for July the last I spoke to them. I'm due for round 4 interview but with no contact in sight. When they make me the offer, I will be glad to decline it.

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg? Role play with an angry client. Role play with an Equity Viewer problem. Test your language (if you are multilingual they will ask you to explain your last job or something in that language). What is your approach to sales. What is the most difficult thing about the role play. Randomly chosen questions to define two economic terms (these are ridiculously random and out of econ or micro / macro 101 classes). Absolutely NO finance questions. Can you explain the role to us in detail (they want to make sure you know this is help desk without saying it is a "helpdesk" position because they still need to sound fancy.) It is a glorified call center but pitch it as something prestigious.   1 Answer