Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Intern Interview Questions

3.2

101 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

2 interviews that were an hour each, done on campus. Interviewers were a bit unfriendly.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2014.

Interview

I met them at a job fair and submitted my resume. Was called for an in person interview the next day. Had a one hour technical interview with two recruiters. Asked a variety of algorithm questions and brain teaser questions. Did not answer the questions very well, and did not expect an offer. Did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• You have 50 coins in a dark room and you cannot see the coins, only feel them. You know there are 30 heads, and 20 tails. How can you split up the coins into two groups and guarantee that both piles have the same amount of tails? You cannot determine the side of the coin by touch and you are allowed to flip coins if you want to.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

Had an initial phone interview and then an on site interview. The phone interview was pretty standard questions about C and C++ with some string parsing. On site was 4 rounds, 2 rounds of engineers, 1 round of management and 1 round with HR. The onsite questions were challenging but the people were nice and it was fair. Lots of questions about hash tables and I had to talk about synchronization a fair deal.

They were very aggressive with the questioning. If you said something you were expected to back it up and even if you were right, they tried to make you feel like you could be wrong and see if you could really defend your position.

A lot of the questions started out not too difficult and then got harder as the interviewers imposed additional restrictions. It seemed like they really wanted to see if you could come at a problem from multiple points of view.

A solid understanding of data structures and basic algorithms as well as flexibility to modify what you already know on the fly will serve you well.

Interview Questions

• A technical question about traversing a made up data structure somewhat similar to a binary tree but with additional restrictions. Was not too difficult to do recursively but then they asked for an iterative solution which was more challenging.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2013.

Interview

I interviewed with Bloomberg in February 2013. I had applied online through their careers website. A couple of weeks later they setup a phone interview for me. It was a technical interview and I had expected a lot Data-Structures and algorithms related questions. However, to my surprise the interviewer didn't ask me to write any code at all. We first spoke about my resume for sometime. After that he gave me a system design question. He basically wanted me to tell him what data structures I'll use, what kind of challenges I'll face when designing such a system and how I'll overcome those challenges. The interviewer was very nice and it was more of a discussion than an interview which was nice. 3 weeks later I got an email saying that they are coming to my campus and wanted to know if I'll be available for an interview.

This time there were two interviewers. They started by asking me questions about my past projects and internships. The interviewers were a bit unprofessional in the sense that while I was answering one person's question the other person would suddenly change the question and ask something else. They asked quite a few data-structures and algorithms related questions.

Interview Questions

• Find the LCM of two given numbers using c++.
      Find the common elements of two linked lists when- (a) They are not sorted (b) They are sorted
      Time efficiency of BST. Give an example of a BST when the search time would be O(n).
      Given a large data-set, how would you store it on your computer.
      Questions related to hash-maps.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied Online, Got contacted by the recruiter 1 week later and scheduled for an on-campus interview. The interviewers were really friendly but the interview was focused entirely on programming questions.

Interview Questions

• Write the program to merge 2 sorted lists.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Gainesville, FL) in January 2014.

Interview

Talked to them at career showcase first semester,didn't get an interview, but the following semester got an e-mail for an interview request. Had 4 on campus interview. Two of the interview were with 2 people and the other were with one person. Interviews were pretty difficult.

Interview Questions

• Given an array rotate it 90 degrees   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Met a recruiter through my university. Set up two phone interviews and then flew out to New York for an onsite interview. The interviewers were really nice and I had a fun time staying in New York. All the interview questions were technical.

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2013.

Interview

I had an on campus interview that resulted frome career fair. I attended my interview. The first questions I was asked was very obscure. I eventually ended up answering it, but it was very atypical (see below). Two more questions followed, the specifics of which I cannot recall.

I received a call about an hour later asking for a round 2 interview the next day. I attend this interview and flawlessly answer all of the questions asked (relatively short, and talked about my previous experience with algorithms). About a week after the interview, I received an email saying that I did not get the position.

All in all, I'm not too disappointed, as I wasn't incredibly interested in interning at the company. However, I'm a little surprised that I was rejected despite being called back for a round two, and performing very well at that. The first interview seemed to go well too, as the interviewers seemed impressed. Anyway, perhaps I was just overly optimistic.

Interview Questions

• There are two mars rovers on a 2 dimensional plane (Mars?), as well as 2 sensors. One rover is between the two sensors, and the other is outside. Write a program using only forward, backward, and onSensor() : boolean, to ensure that the rovers will collide.   1 Answer

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied through a career fair on campus, and had an on-campus interview the next day. The interview lasted for 45 mins, including a 5 minute introduction and mainly two technical questions.

Interview Questions

• 1. How will you find the max and second max of an array of n elements? How will you find the largest k elements?
      2. How will you properly shuffle a deck of cards?   1 Answer

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Started off by applying to their internship online. Within a day or two, I got an email asking to schedule a phone interview, and I had the phone interview the next week. Phone interview lasted about an hour, interviewer said it went over time a little. Mostly questions regarding simple algorithms to handle information. Know basic data structures such as hash tables, linked lists, etc. After about another week, I was asked to go to NYC for an on-site interview, so I scheduled it through Bloomberg's HR. The process was pretty easy, they pay for the flight and hotel. At the on-site interview, I had 3+1 interviews. First, an interview with 2 engineers for ~1 hour, then a similar interview with another 2 engineers for ~1 hour, then another ~1 hour interview with the manager of the group. These were all completely technical, asked questions of object oriented design, implementing some simple functions, data structures. Then about a week later, I got a call from the recruiting department saying I got the internship.

Interview Questions

• Given a large dataset of people, distinct phone numbers, non-unique names. How would you store the data so that you could efficiently look up someone's data by phone number? By name? What about partial searches, i.e. a few letters of the name?   1 Answer