Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions

3.2

322 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in April 2008.

Interview

30 minute phone interview, followed by in-house interview.
I lasted 3-4 hours and consisted of 3 technical and 1 HR interview.
Typical questions asked were about programming, puzzles, algorithms, etc

Negotiation

I wasn't able to negotiate

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2011.

Interview

Applied through college career site.
    Emailed me a few weeks later about taking an Intelligence Test, which was of average difficulty, some simple questions, some doozies like on a MENSA test, some annoying ones about finding the number of "h"s in a paragraph etc etc. Apparently I did well enough.

Got a request for a phone interview a week or so later. The phone interview consisted first of talking about certain projects and work experience on my resume, then some programming related questions based on my couple of programming courses, and a couple of brain teaser/puzzles. Use techinterview(dot)com for an excellent resource for these types of questions. I wasn't quite able to answer one of the questions fully, but I talked through the entire thing and got frustratingly close. Very nice interviewer though, helped me out on questions I struggled with.

Invited for an on-site interview, where they flew me in and put me up in a pretty nice hotel a few blocks away from the office. Very nice building, great atmosphere, glass doors in all the meeting rooms, cool stuff. First interview was with 2 software devs, who grilled me on a lot of C++ concepts (especially memory management and pointers), that I claimed to know from my self-study, but realized very quickly that I really didn't have a grasp on. it was very difficult for me, but should be a cakewalk for most people experienced in C++. I personally thought I did terribly on this portion of the interview. Be ready to write code on a notepad. One of the interviewers was really nice and helpful, the other seemed like he was having a bad day, and my inability to answer some of his questions quickly seemed to frustrate him even more.

Next was a 1:1 with a manager in R&D, who asked me more brain teasers and a few more programming questions, which started off badly like the first interview, but got progressively better.

Finally, there was a 1:1 with someone from HR, who asked a simple data structure concept question, but focused more on my resume, past experience, and other typical HR questions. He was really relaxed and put me at ease after a rigorous first couple of rounds of interviews.

Advice: Brush up on whichever programming language you are most comfortable with. Don't lie about this! Like very basic theory and syntax, and those little nuances that you might be asked on an AP CS test or an intro CS test in college. Even if one of the on-site interviews goes badly, regroup between rounds and knock the next one out, and they will vouch for you (believe me...)

Interview Questions

• What are the differences between Java and C++?   1 Answer
    • Given an array of integers, write an algorithm to find the largest sum of consecutive integers in the array.   Answer Question
    • Describe how you would implement a HUGE phone book where a user would enter the first three letters of a name and the program retrieve all names with those first three letters as fast as possible.   1 Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in July 2009.

Interview

I applied for a Financial Software Development entry level position and when filling my application they asked my strongest programming language among c,c++, and Java. As I had previous experience with Java I selected it as my strongest language. The following day they sent me an email with instructions to take an online skills assessment. Reading this forum, I practiced a few IQ/Intelligence test with good results so I felt confident to take the test. I took the test and to my surprise it was all Java programming questions (syncronisation, inheritance, interfaces, polymorphism, analysing pieces of code, etc). The questions where very specific and not about general OO programming concepts eg. Which one of the following is NOT polymorphic behavior? As I've been out of practice a bit in hands on programming I really struggled with the test. Basically I didn't remember clearly the syntax and got confused with some sentences. My recommendation is that you should study throughly your programming language selection and be ready for tricky questions.

Interview Questions

• Which one of the following is NOT polymorphic behavior?
      What support does java.io have for preventing malicious code from altering Serialized Objects?   Answer Question
    • When using an ArrayList as the implementation for a list collection, what happens if adding an element exceeds the ArrayList's capacity?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2008.

Interview

I took an online C++ test, which is very difficult, a lot of stuff on advanced C++ concepts.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I met recruiters on campus and answered a brief tech question on the spot. I was then invited to an on campus interview. I passed the first on campus interview and was invited back for another the following day. I did not move forward in the process after the second interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of ones and zeros, how would you sort the list efficiently so the zeros are in the front and the ones are in the second half.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

It started with a phone interview which is your basic write some code through a text editor online. The onsite interview consists of two parts. The first part is technical where they will ask you two technical questions. The second part is all HR and why you want to work at Bloomberg. The interviewers were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• How to obtain the running average of a group of numbers   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

Phone interview then got flown out to their office in New York where I had 2 on-site interviews. The phone interview was on HackerRank where I was asked a question about LinkedLists. The one site interview involved writing code on paper involving mostly algorithms and answering some logic and math questions.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Dropped off resume at career fair, then applied online. Got on campus interview. Met for one round with two software engineers, who asked data structures and algorithms questions. Some of the questions were quite difficult.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in January 2011.

Interview

Meet junior developers first, then senior developer and then finally HR. Straight to the point, no waste of time. A lot of detailed programming questions and also some brain teasers. Behavioral questions from HR as well.

Interview Questions

• Coding questions and brain teasers.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process was intimidating and challenging. I enjoyed meeting with the recruiters and they asked numerous challenging questions. I appreciated the chance to interview for them. It was a technical interview. With several rounds of technical questions. They followed up by asking if I had any questions and concluded with a time a date I should look forward to hearing from them.