Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 19, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Applied online and received an email to set up an initial phone screening. It was frustrating as they contacted me for a different position than the one I applied for, and was unqualified for it.

First interview was a typical candidate screening, heavy on work experience and education from my resume, with some behavioral questions.

Made it to the next round which was a technical phone interview. The interviewer was very nice, guided me trough the questions, even explaining answers to the questions I did not know. As expected I did not move on the further rounds as my background did not fit and thus could not answer all of the questions posed.

Interview Questions

• Very in depth CS questions on topics such as binary trees, algorithms, try/catch blocks, OOP, etc. If you come from a CS background (which I did not, despite having programming experience in my current position), these are your run of the mill questions for a software development position.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied through my college - 3 rounds of technical interview
    1st round : They asked me to select a data structure for storing a dictionary that i have to use for searching words with given letters.It is similar to that of SCRABBLE game.
    Passing a multi-dimensional array in c89 and other variations.

2nd round : Design a class that takes any length integer (memory is the limit) given as string and implement constructors , addition by operator overloading (as i've told them about my choice of C++).

3rd round : Write a code to find the common letters in two strings. He was more interested in how his input will break my code and how will i overcome it and what will happen at OS level.

HR round: You have done some electronics stuff - arduino & stuff then why financial software developer?
    What are you top 3 priorities?
    What other companies you have applied for?

Interview Questions

• Why Other Company?(unexpected .... i was prepared for Why Bloomberg but not for this)   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

5 round of interviews. All face to face.
    They provide a bunch of courses about C++ and Equity. The instructors are great and have a whole lot of experience.
    Allow long enough time for you to make your own decision if you get an offer. Don't push people at all.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

From the online application (bloomberg website) to the phone interview took around 4 weeks (a first interview was scheduled within 2 weeks but the interviewer didn't call so we rescheduled). The phone interview was quite straightforward and I was asked the following questions
    1- Kind of a strange question. Generate all 3-digit combinations of 1-9 but not repeats in the sense that if you have 123, then 231, 321, etc. are not allowed. [nested for loops]
    2- Reverse a given sentence (no use of library methods, arbitrary spaces between words). Make it faster. [start at the end and find and print words one-by-one].
    3- You are given a 3L and a 5L container and unlimited supply of water. How to make 1L?[I found a longer solution but the short on is pour 3L into 5 twice.]
    4- A program/algorithm which given mL and nL buckets figures out how (if possible) make kL. [we discussed the solution and the interviewer was nice and gave me a hint. Its a DP problem].

The next day, I received and invitation for on-site interview. The travel schedule part was straightforward and convenient.
    I was invited to the NY office. There was a group of around 30 people like me. They hold you for a few minuts to issue a security badge. Then there is a tour about all the 31 or so aquariums and fishes at bloomberg. Eventually, there is breakfast and then the interviews come find you. There is 4 rounds of interview. Rounds 1-2 are technical, 3 is management, and 4 is HR.
    Some questions I remember:
    1- Find shortest path on a chessboard from low left corner to top right. You can move right and top only and some cells are inaccessible (DFS).
    2- You have sorted arrays A and B with sizes m and n. Assume at the end of array "A" you have "n" empty slots. How to merge with minimum number of operations (start at the end instead of beginning). Prove it works (induction).
    3- Some runners running in a field with some "k" sensors. We get events of runnings locations. How to print the top "m" runners? (array of lists or hash table of lists depending on the location of the sensors. each list is one sensor). Some questions on how to identify the ordering within each list.
    4- CPU Cache implementation. How to implement the least frequently used procedure.
    5- Scheduling some jobs over "m" servers. Centralized vs distributed implementation? How to implement.

The management interview was interesting and I liked the two managers. HR was fine too. I did not do any negotiations.

Interview Questions

• The chessboard problem. I first mentioned BFS and use of a Queue but the interviewer kept asking about some data structure with less memory that I could extract due to the simple structure of the graph. I did not understand what he meant. I eventually mentioned DFS and proved it works uses less memory.
      The cache problem took a long time. I kind of though I failed it at some point. I had no prior knowledge of the topic since I am not a CS guy. I eventually, used an array to store the access time to different items and O(n) search through it to find the least frequently used one. The interviewer did not raise the complexity. He wanted me to write code on a paper (which is hard, esp. in C).
      2 Answers

Negotiation

I did not do any negotiations. I accepted the offer for some time in the future since I need to resolve the visa part.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2013.

Interview

Applied Online...

Phone Interview.. Not difficult.
    Question 1: Why make data members private and access them using getter and setter methods when you can access them directly by making them public.
    Question 2 : Given stock prices of n days. Find when to buy and when to sell stock in order to gain maximum profit
    Question 3 : Given an array of size greater than 'x' and a range 0 to x . Find duplicate elements in the array. Hint. You can destroy the array but the solution should use O(1) space and O(n) time where n is the size of the array.

On Site Interview:

Interview 1 :
    Interview with 2 software developers
    Started with some questions related to my projects
    Q1 : Diamond Inheritance Problem in C++. Use of virtual keyword. And how are things handled internally. Basically checked my understanding of vtable

Q2 : Can you use virtual keyword with destructors?

Q3 : Given heads of two linked lists. Find if the two linked lists intersect.
    Solution should not use extra memory.

Q4 : Reverse linked list. Tested concepts of double pointers, pass by value and pass by reference.

Interview 2 :
    Interview with 2 software developers
    Q1 : In what case would you use BST over a hash table..
    Q2 : Insertion in BST
    Q3 : Find 'k'th smallest element in BST. What extra information would you require here
    Q4: Given a string which has a lot of spaces beween words . Remove these extra spaces in the string
     eg: " I love New York " --> "I love New York"
    Q4 : You get an input in the form [2 lowercase characters , A number] .. eg [aa,10] , [bd, 12]..
    Given a two letter input, find the last 10 numbers associated with the string..
    Design a data structure to implement this without using STL. Basically I was asked to design a hash function.

Interview 3 :
    Interview was with a project manager

Q1 : Find the first distinct element in an array
    Q2 : C++ does not have byte datatype. How would you create this datatype.
    Q3 : Lets say I have a code currently executing on my machine. I overwrite the code with a newer version. But the older version is still executing. Why do you think this is happening.

Interview 4 :
    Interview with HR
    General HR Interview

Interview Questions

• Given heads of two linked lists. Find if the two linked lists intersect.
      Solution should not use extra memory.
      8 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied through college career fare , received a mail to schedule a phone interview , pretty standard coding questions , refer careercup , on site call to new york , kind of cheap on travel and food , my both interviewers were canadians , very friendly kept on dropping hints through out the process wen i was stuck

Interview Questions

• gave me a tree of 3 level and provided me a number that contains the level number and asked me to code a program that would print the nodes on that level in the tree.   3 Answers
    • gave me a Uint of 1 byte and asked me to match it with pattern of 10101 bits in the content of Uint given through a function called getbits().   1 Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2014.

Interview

The process was pretty straightforward, I applied through their career link and few days later had a phone interview consisiting of just one technical question and they kept digging into the solution.

Interview Questions

• US football teams and ranks based on them? Display the top 10 teams?   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I filled out an application on the company website and was contacted via email to schedule a phone interview. This took place two or three weeks after applying. Eight days later I had the interview.

The interview was technical, consisting of story problems to solve. Some of the questions had multiple parts. Because the interview was meant to last 45 minutes, there was time pressure and the recruiter would not move on to the next question until I had answered the current question to his satisfaction. When I suggested a less efficient solution for a problem, he would not move on until I found his solution. If I struggled with a question hints or clarification would be given.

Interview Questions

• You have 25 horses and a racetrack where you can only race 5 horses at a time. You can only get qualitative comparisons of horses (e.g. horse A is faster than horse B), not actual race times. How can you determine the three fastest horses with the fewest races?   7 Answers

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Met someone at a campus career fair and left them my resume. Was contacted after a few months via email asking if I wanted an on campus interview.

Interview Questions

• Write code for a C program that takes in roman numerals and outputs decimal numbers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Raleigh, NC) in November 2013.

Interview

Scheduled oncampus interview and two ppl interviewed for one hour.

No introduction of themselves,no introduction of the position for which I was being interviewed and looked uninterested.

Asked two coding questions and were continously emphasizing on lowering down the complexity.

Interview Questions

• Remove consecutive duplicates in a string inplace and less than O(n)   Answer Question

Not interested in profile