Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions

3.2

321 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

Standard Interview process, with recruiters visiting my school, there were 4 rounds of on campus interviews, roughly 50 minutes each. First 2 where with 2 software developers, then 1 HR interview and lastly a senior executive interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• The exact details are a bit hazy, the basic idea was as follows. Implement a storage class using in c++. The storage class had to store doubles in an array and write to both ends of the array, while recycling the space as efficiently as possible.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Orlando, FL) in October 2013.

Interview

Submitted my resume at an on-campus career fair, and got a call several days later to schedule a on-campus interview the next morning. Talked with 6 recruiters the next day. After about five days, got the offer.

Interview Questions

• Not many, mostly technical questions focusing on coding, two or three behavioral questions such as why Bloomberg and what's most important for you other than money etc. I use Java though Bloomberg uses C++ most.   2 Answers

Negotiation

The package is generous for a new graduate, I didn't plan to negotiate....

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2009.

Interview

Applied through the website. Interview process consists of 4 stages. First an online assessment test, then two interviews and one on site interview. Mostly mind teasers until the on site interview

Interview Questions

• A lot of database questions during on site interview. They didn't like that I used Matlab instead of C++   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

on campus interview with 2 interviewed, around 45 mins. Basically all questions are from your resume.... what you did before, what you learned before....
    also asking the questions about programming from your resume
    they seem to like people who can write C++ and database

Interview Questions

• they asked questions from what they got from your resume   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Met the recruiters at a Campus Career Fair. Got shortlisted for an interview. The Interview lasted almost an hour.
    Two Questions asked.

Interview Questions

• Write down the implementation of Polynomial Class in c++, with all possible functions, constructors etc. (You need to accept something of the form 2x^12+5x^2+3 from the user)   Answer Question
    • Implement itoa without using any inbuilt functions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in August 2008.

Interview

On campus interviews or phone interviews + in house interviews is the typical process. Usually 2 technical rounds of 1 hour each. You will need to write code on paper. Questions cover c,c++, data structures, algorithms, problem solving etc. Interviews are very technical but do not underestimate HR interviews as well.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2009.

Interview

Hiring process is pretty streamlined. Usually u go through an online programming oriented test, then a phone interview and then in-house interviews. All of the interviews are very technical in nature strictly programming/db specific and only if u make through technical stuff u get to go through a mild HR/behavioral sort of interview.

Interview Questions

• Dont remember specific questions but prepare urself for hardcore programming, problem solving, databases and best practices stuff.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

First Contacted by HR, Discussed little technical topics and more on the resume.
    2nd technical interview for an hour, asked questions listed below:

1. about merging in linklist
    2.cycle in linked list
    3. Perfect shuffle of cards
    4. First repeating number in array
    5. Mising and repeating number in array for different ranges.
    6. Design of CHESS with some variation.(like intrducng new pieces n new rules)

Interview Questions

• Design the ChEss board game- actually askd to write some code.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2012.

Interview

Campus interview

1. Summation of 2 numbers to X in a given list of Numbers
    2. Longest Palindrome Substring
    3. Design of Datastructure : to have O(1) - access, delete. recently used

Onsite Interview

1. last integer remaining in a number list of 100 if every number were to shoot his neighbour in cyclic fashion
    eg 1->2->3->5->6->7->8->9->10->1

2. reverse number

3. to chose when to buy/sell given a forecast of next N days's prices of given stock , u are allowed to buy/sell only one stock multiple number of times.
    objective - maximize profit

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

The process started with visiting the Bloomberg LP booth at my university. I gave them my resume and we discussed a project or two. I then asked if they were doing interviews on campus and they told me yes. Before I could get a campus interview, I had to answer a few questions at the booth. These questions were brain teasers and C++ specific language questions. Upon impressing the recruiters at the booth, I was offered the on-campus interview.

Next, I met with two campus recruiters about a week or two later when they were in town. It was a technical interview with a few HR undertones to see if I had done my research. Questions were mostly based on system architecture: "how would you design a stock tracking system...?" and data structures: "how would you implement a queue using only the stack data structure?"

A couple weeks later, I heard from an HR representative who invited me to an on-site interview. They flew me to New York and I stayed in a hotel the night before the interview. I got to Bloomberg Tower at 10:30 am and the interview was at 11:00 am. You will be asked to check in at the front desk 15 minutes before your interview. You will have your picture taken and they will print a visitors badge for you. Then you will go up to the sixth floor and wait for your host to come greet you. My host came for me a couple minutes later and took me to a conference room on the 23rd floor of the building. The view was phenomenal. I had a fantastic view of Manhattan and Central Park.

The first interview was 2-on-1. One of the interviewers was a project lead and the other was more fresh. They started with the some questions about me and my resume. I got to tell them about my favorite project and show some enthusiasm for my work. Next they asked some technical questions. Specifically the questions were algorithms and data structures questions.

The next interview was 1-on-1 with someone more senior. From what I gathered he was a team lead - mobile development if I recall correctly. His questions were very direct and he made it clear that he was not trying to trip me up or ask me trick questions. He was very blunt but it was one of the best interviews I have had because the pressure was on and I had to think on my toes. His questions were of an HR nature mostly. The toughest and most surprising question he asked was "There are many large companies with many of the same things to offer as Bloomberg LP in the city, eg Google. If a friend was there and mentioned they had opportunities available, would you pursue an opportunity there?" See the answer below. After the HR questions, the interviewer asked me a number of coding questions ie find the bug in this code.

The last interview was strictly HR stuff - including the dreaded "do you have any expectations with respect to compensation?" I used some of my knowledge from this website to answer with a range and tell her that I expect at least the average salary to be competitive. The HR interviewer said they routinely offer higher than the number I requested.

At the end of every interview I was given the opportunity to ask questions.

I heard from HR in only 3 business days with an offer.

Interview Questions

• There are many large companies with many of the same things to offer as Bloomberg LP in the city, eg Google. If a friend was there and mentioned they had opportunities available, would you pursue an opportunity there?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They gave me more than a month and a half to accept their offer. I have yet to negotiate and I probably will not - given that their offer was better than I was hoping for.