Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions

3.2

321 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Campus hiring , two days of interviews. But only 4 interviews. Good technical rounds , all in C++.
1. Code for merging two sorted linked lists.
2. Given a iterator access, how do you print data in circular fashion on the screen.
3. Given two numbers with each digit in single node of a linked list, how do you add the numbers.
4. Optimal code for Fibonacci number generation.

Interview Questions

• Why bloomberg and how do you think this job will help your career.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

I applied to the position online, thinking it would go nowhere like all my other online applications. I got an email a couple days later asking me to take an assessment test (it was basically an IQ test). The test was about 30 questions, 3 minutes per question (it was timed per question) and the questions ranged in difficulty. I certainly didn't get all of them right, far from it. After that, I got an email asking me to set up a time for a phone interview. I responded, and then 1 week later they came to campus for a career fair. I went up to them and mentioned that I'd already begun the process online, and they took over the process from there. I interviewed 4 times within a week of approaching them at the career fair, and got my offer the following week. 3 interviews were technical, the last one was HR. The first two were knock-out rounds, and the last 2 were actually back to back, I went from the 3rd interview right to the 4th.

Interview Questions

• Say I have a deck of 52 cards, regular deck of cards. I put a joker in the deck somewhere and shuffle it up. Now I start dealing you cards until the joker shows up. Once it shows up, I stop dealing you cards. What is the probability that you have, in your set of cards, all 4 aces?   10 Answers
    • Implement a square root function   2 Answers
    • Can you cover an 8x8 chess board with dominos if two corner squares are removed (not two from the same side, 2 diagonal from each other). A domino covers 2 squares and no dominos can hang over the side of the board.   4 Answers
    • There is a panel containing 3 light switches in front of you. Each switch controls a light in a room somewhere. Doesn't really matter where. You can play with the switches as much as you like, but you're only allowed to enter the room once. How do you tell which switch controls which light? Again, you can only enter the room once, so you cannot play with the switches after you enter the room, but you can play with them as much as you want before you enter the room. One entry is all it takes to determine which switch controls which light.   4 Answers

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in February 2012.

Interview

Emailed a CV and cover letter. Next I did an online logic test to determine my reasoning skills and attention to detail. I was then offered an interview with a couple of software developers in London. The interview was focused on technical knowledge, reasoning, and my motivation to work for Bloomberg. The interviewers seemed like nice guys who enjoyed their work. They asked reasonably tough questions but were encouraging about my answers. The London office was in a beautiful old building that was very modern inside, all glass walls and neon lights. Large free snack buffet for employees. News feeds all over the place might make it stressful... The office culture in general seemed very finance oriented, suit and tie, but the software guys (my interviewers) were in torn jeans and t-shirts. They said they worked hard but were well rewarded and enjoyed the fast pace of the job. I was informed the following day that I hadn't made the cut. I requested reimbursement for my travel expenses and they were paid in due course.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about the difference in how garbage collection would be handled in Java v. C or C++   1 Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2011.

Interview

The interview comprises of a combination of brainteasers, probability, programming and algorithms questions. Be prepared to write c++ codes on a piece of paper. The interviewers are very friendly and would be happy to help you out. Over all I loved the experience and am looking forward to being at the company.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

The interviewer was welcoming and very knowledgeable. He presented me with a problem that his own team had been working on the year before. Without revealing anything about their own solution, he guided me through the development process and asked me questions about each road block. Topics included data structures and algorithms, caching, and scientific computation. He also asked me to code out atoi in C.

Interview Questions

• Implement a platform-independent version of atoi in C   1 Answer
    • Quant's on his team use extremely complex equations to generate 3-D surfaces with thousands of points. What is the most efficient way of storing these surfaces?   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

First they asked questions about my background and then I got basic code problem to ask me to print all repeating characters into the form " 'the character' '#' ' the number' ". Then a problem about data structure and the time complexity and how to modify the data structure and get a better performance in time complexity.

Interview Questions

• What data structure will you use to store all the names of clients and if one name is associate to different people then I have to store the number of people who share the same name?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2011.

Interview

After applying through Bloomberg's website, I received an email about a week or two later saying that I had made it through a round of resume screening and I was asked to take an online skills assessment test. This test consisted of basic IQ sort of things (shape rotations/reflections), or things you might see on the LSAT exam (given 8 statements, what order did the horses place in a race?)

2-3 days after the IQ Test, I was asked to set up a phone interview which took place the following week. Because I don't have a computer science background, they asked "Get to know you" type questions about my past experience, and then asked targeted questions that are basically round-about ways to get you to consider computer science problems.

Within a week I had been asked for an on-site interview, which I went to a few weeks later. This interview consisted of three stages. In the first, I met with three interviewers who asked me questions to gauge my understanding of algorithms and high level design, and they asked me to write down a program in full syntax for the language I had the most experience in (Java). In the second round, I met with a senior member and he asked questions to gauge my interest and fit with the company, as well as to gauge my ability to transition into an IT position from an engineering background (What makes you think you would be happy doing this type of job every day when your experience is primarily in research?) The third and last round consisted of meeting with a man from HR and he asked very general questions, then gave me a super-brief tour around 2 floors of the building.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about designing Facebook's "Suggest a friend" feature? How would you choose WHICH people to suggest as friends?   1 Answer
    • Write a java program that can convert a string of numbers (e.g. "5387") into an integer (5387).   4 Answers
    • One question to see if I could understand Linked Lists and how to manipulate them, having never heard of them before.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. I saw the salary range that had been posted on this website and thought it was fair, so I accepted it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

First had to go through an online IQ-type test, then about a week later was scheduled for a phone interview. The phone interview mostly consisted of technical questions and skill-based knowledge, with a little bit of work history. After successfully getting through the phone interview, I was invited for an on-site interview in New York. Bloomberg took care of all the travel arrangements, including flight, hotel, and a car from the airport. The building was very nice and easy to find. I was given security clearance to go upstairs where I met the HR person who was my contact for the day who brought me to my two technical interviewers. They asked a lot of programming and algorithm questions, and one design questions. Some of the questions were kind of tough, as they were some things that I learned years ago and hadn't needed or touched since. I would recommend that you really brush up on your fundamentals before the interview. I got an e-mail the next day saying that I didn't get the position, so I'm happy that they got back to me so quickly.

Interview Questions

• Design an online library system.   Answer Question
    • Write a function that returns the element x positions from the end of a linked list.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in March 2011.

Interview

All interview questions are from the book "Cracking the Coding Interview" Chap 1,5, 6, 7.

Interview Questions

• find the longest repeating char in a sorted string   1 Answer
    • There are one hundred closed lockers in a hallway. A man begins by opening all one hundred lockers. Next, he closes every second locker. Then he goes to every third locker and closes it if it is open or opens it if it is closed (e.g., he toggles every third locker). After his one hundredth pass in the hallway, in which he toggles only locker number one hundred, how many lockers are open?   2 Answers

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2011.

Interview

Got the info from school on an information session. The building design is modern and they have colored elevator banks. The event presenters were smart and definitely gave off a tech company vibe. Think less Wall Street more Apple or Google. The session informed the position is for a training program that could lead to an internship that could lead to job. Starts with a three stage process that consists of resume review, assessment test, and an in person interview. Resume review was simple enough as they are not looking for specific backgrounds. They are looking for undergrad and graduate students with an interest in programming and and financial products. Next step is the assessment test which is similar to the logic game section of lsat. They give you three days once you're emailed to take the exam. Its not difficult but I wold suggest doing logic puzzles to prepare. Its about 30 questions and you get 3 minutes for each question. Expect arranging, organizing, and sequencing games. Even a few questions where you draw a letter on a page then get instruction to turn it 90 degrees 45 degrees and so on then pick the image youre left with. Hard to pick up on what the culture is like in an hour but no question you'll be working with some smart folks in a challenging environment.