Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 19, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

The first part was an on campus interview. This had easy data structure/algorithm questions. After this, I was flown to the NYC office for an all day interview. I went through two rounds, but I'm assuming there are more before receiving an offer.

Interview Questions

• They asked me in depth questions about a project on my resume in the first round. In the second round they asked a geometry problem about finding the area of an arbitrary shape in a 2D plane (or at least something related).   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

1 round of phone interview(~1h). After that, they sent me an invitation for an onsite. Onsite contains 2 technical interviews, each with 2 engineers, 1 interview with manager(still technical), and 1 interview with HR. My HR interview is kind of an informal chat about their recruiting strategies.

Interview Questions

• Questions about if their locations(NYC) matters when I am choosing offers.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

Interview

Took 2 weeks for the recruiter to call me and then a week later the interview was scheduled. Questions were easy c/c++ based questions but tricky in the sense that they were not logic based but relied on your level of preparation in that area.

Interview Questions

• What happens when you assign a string literal to a pointer using strcpy   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

Interview

This was in a college on campus career fair. It was not an interview call.

How to remove duplicates from a linked list ? Use of Hashmap

Basics of Depth first search and Breadth first search? Which data structure to represent each of them?

Interview Questions

• How to remove duplicates from a linked list   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

From the online application (bloomberg website) to the phone interview took around 4 weeks (a first interview was scheduled within 2 weeks but the interviewer didn't call so we rescheduled). The phone interview was quite straightforward and I was asked the following questions
    1- Kind of a strange question. Generate all 3-digit combinations of 1-9 but not repeats in the sense that if you have 123, then 231, 321, etc. are not allowed. [nested for loops]
    2- Reverse a given sentence (no use of library methods, arbitrary spaces between words). Make it faster. [start at the end and find and print words one-by-one].
    3- You are given a 3L and a 5L container and unlimited supply of water. How to make 1L?[I found a longer solution but the short on is pour 3L into 5 twice.]
    4- A program/algorithm which given mL and nL buckets figures out how (if possible) make kL. [we discussed the solution and the interviewer was nice and gave me a hint. Its a DP problem].

The next day, I received and invitation for on-site interview. The travel schedule part was straightforward and convenient.
    I was invited to the NY office. There was a group of around 30 people like me. They hold you for a few minuts to issue a security badge. Then there is a tour about all the 31 or so aquariums and fishes at bloomberg. Eventually, there is breakfast and then the interviews come find you. There is 4 rounds of interview. Rounds 1-2 are technical, 3 is management, and 4 is HR.
    Some questions I remember:
    1- Find shortest path on a chessboard from low left corner to top right. You can move right and top only and some cells are inaccessible (DFS).
    2- You have sorted arrays A and B with sizes m and n. Assume at the end of array "A" you have "n" empty slots. How to merge with minimum number of operations (start at the end instead of beginning). Prove it works (induction).
    3- Some runners running in a field with some "k" sensors. We get events of runnings locations. How to print the top "m" runners? (array of lists or hash table of lists depending on the location of the sensors. each list is one sensor). Some questions on how to identify the ordering within each list.
    4- CPU Cache implementation. How to implement the least frequently used procedure.
    5- Scheduling some jobs over "m" servers. Centralized vs distributed implementation? How to implement.

The management interview was interesting and I liked the two managers. HR was fine too. I did not do any negotiations.

Interview Questions

• The chessboard problem. I first mentioned BFS and use of a Queue but the interviewer kept asking about some data structure with less memory that I could extract due to the simple structure of the graph. I did not understand what he meant. I eventually mentioned DFS and proved it works uses less memory.
      The cache problem took a long time. I kind of though I failed it at some point. I had no prior knowledge of the topic since I am not a CS guy. I eventually, used an array to store the access time to different items and O(n) search through it to find the least frequently used one. The interviewer did not raise the complexity. He wanted me to write code on a paper (which is hard, esp. in C).
      2 Answers

Negotiation

I did not do any negotiations. I accepted the offer for some time in the future since I need to resolve the visa part.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Interview

Had two round interview... first round was very straightforward, asked typical data structure, graph search, and object oriented questions (linked lists, depth first search, memoization, classes). Second round was much harder, with algorithmically complicated coding problems (the naive solution was usually easy, but the interviewer would then press on for a much more difficult solution)

Interview Questions

• Counting the number of anagrams of one string in another string   2 Answers

Financial Software Developer Interview

Interview

One phone interview and one on site (3 interviewers) plus HR review. Three interviewers are two developer and one manager. Then you get the offer and they do all background checks etc.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much negotiation room for junior hire

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied online and was contacted a few days later asking to schedule a phone interview for the following week. The interviewer was very nice - asked mostly about my background and a few simple data structures questions.

Interview Questions

• How is memory stored?
      Difference between array and linked list?
      Binary search tree traversal
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied Online and wait for about 2 days then got an e-mail for a phone interview.

Phone Interview: Some basic data structure questions and OOD questions. The last question was to find out the largest 2 numbers in a given array. Then I was invited to take an in-house interview in New York.

In-house Interview: Four rounds, 7 interviewers.
    First round: 3 interviewers asked something from the resume and then some basic algorithm problem and system design problem.

Second round: 2 interviewers asked all algorithm problems. Nothing is difficult except one problem that is "Find longest palindrome in a given string in less than O(n*n) time". And I've been struggled for a long time on this.

Third round: 1 senior manager asked some behavior questions and one system design problem. I think I spent too much time on thinking how to optimize the data structure but at the end I realize that in the interviewer's mind, we didn't need to care how the front-end system deliver data to users just by assuming that the server would handle all the requests.

Fourth round: 1 HR asked something on the resume and things about the position. I was very happy for getting in this round since from the information I've got from this website that about 90% candidates getting in this round would get a job offer. And I do like Bloomberg and want to work there sincerely. Besides, all the interviewers are very nice and I like them. So I was shocked and very upset when I got the "Thank You" email in my box today (3 days after the in house interview). And I'm still very sad now.

I hope that this experience will help.

Interview Questions

• 1. Find out the longest palindrome in a given string in less than O(n*n) time.
      2. Design a system that can deliver the newest price of stocks to users.
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Boston, MA) in March 2014.

Interview

Technology interview, Very friendly interviewers
    Q1, What is a static variable? What is a static function? Think of a case where you can make use of static variable or static function.
    Q2, Implement a basic traverse tree in java. Print out the nodes in a tree from left to right/ from right to left.