Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.4

43 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Financial Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in February 2013.

Interview

First round, two back to back hour long technical interviews, each interview is conducted by two Bloomberg employees. Second round, one half an hour technical interview and one recruiter interview.

The first round is very difficult, more difficult than Facebook/Google interviews. A lot of detailed questions on C/C++, such as pointers, templates, other C++ peculiarities. What made it worse is that not instant feedback was given during the interviews, and the interviewer kept a straight face throughout. It was quite intimidating to be honest. Wasn't a fun interaction.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

1) Met the Bloomberg reps at career fair, handed resume
    2) Got a call a few hours later to schedule an on campus interview two weeks later
    3) Went into the on campus interview expecting a standard 1 hour session. (Started at 3 PM, expected to end at 4)
    4) Had 4 rounds of interviews, each about a 45 minutes long. First interview was with two software devs, second interview was with 1 software dev, third interview was with a HR, and fourth interview was with a senior programming manager.

Each interview focused heavily on data structures and OOP.

I ended up leaving at around 7 PM, so the interview was four hours long. I think they generally try to keep you for longer if they like you, or they kick you out after the first interview.

Interview Question:
    In the first two interviews, the questions were heavily focused on data structures and string manipulations. There was also a lot of pointer/reference trick questions.
    The third interview was a HR interview, so very standard HR questions. I.E. Why Bloomberg? What don't you like a Bloomberg?

The fourth interview was the hardest. When I had went in, he said that only one person had made it so far before me. (I came at 3 PM, so atleast 8 people have come and only one made it) The interview questions were very difficult. The interviewer gave me examples of codes and told me to find the most subtle errors and then to optimize the code. It had to do with OOP. The final question he asked me was how I would solve a specific problem in the company. (Not allowed to say)

Overall, I had a good time! Hope to interview with them again in the future.

Interview Questions

• The final interviewer gave me a page long example of C code and told me to find one subtle error and optimize the code... Had no idea. It had to with OOP.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Skills test about data structures and algorithms and just general programming knowledge. You get to choose which test you want to take (i chose c++). Test gets into a lot of specifics such as exception throwing and error handling to see how much programming experience you have. Unless you have been programming for a few years, the test will be impossible for most people.

Interview Questions

• There are 5 classes, 3 are inherited, 1 is a standalone. If all these classes are created, at the end of the program, in what order is the destructor called?   Answer Question

Software Engineer-Financial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in September 2010.

Interview

very touch online technical interview... i applied for C developer role.. so have to take a C test.... passed this test.... was invited for face to face... any questions on array, pointers.... just basics.... but make sure u have a thorough understanding.....if sucessfull... u get an interview from senior developer... who gives u crazy puzzle....so be prepared for a puzzle..

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

Upon submitting on-line resume, was directed to a "technical exam," which was basically an IQ test. Immediately after completing the test (must have passed) I received an e-mail saying they would like to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes and featured two senior Bloomberg software engineers asking me to dictate C++ and pseudocode over the phone.

Several days later I received an e-mail requesting my presence for an in-house interview in New York. Bloomberg took care of all accommodations, including airfare, hotel stay in Manhattan, a private car from La Guardia, and a $100 pre-paid gift card for expenses (about $1000 in total). The in-house interview pitted myself in an 8ft x 8ft room against two senior software engineers who grilled me for 1 hour, primarily on lists, sorting, and memory storage. The situation was very high-pressure, uncomfortable, and one of the engineers was fairly rude. I was sent on my way and received a rejection e-mail while sitting in La Guardia for my flight back.

To anyone considering this position, please note that Bloomberg seems more concerned with having someone who has obscure rules and syntax memorized than someone who is a creative problem solver and logical thinker. If being a by-the-book stooge is your gig, Bloomberg will love you.

Interview Questions

• Several questions involving lists, sorting, and memory storage issues were asked at each interview level.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

I submitted my resume on campus and got a call next day. I had an HR round on phone in which they tested my personality and then flew me off to New York.
    In new york they took a 1:1 technical interview.Questions started from easy to difficult.
    After that there was a round with the Hiring manager who offere me the salary package which i accepted.

Interview Questions

• Explain the Hidden Markov Model?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was simple salary offer which i accepted.

Financial Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2012.

Interview

Talked with recruiter at Career Fair, looked at resume and asked a couple of questions regarding my resume and some technical questions. Told me I would get a call if they wanted to schedule an interview. Got a call later that day to schedule an interview for the end of the week.
    Went to the interview on campus, took about 20-30 minutes with two interviewers. Was asked logic questions. The interviewers left the room and came back and told me they wanted to run me through a second round on interviews. Went through second round of interviews, with two different interviewers, and they also gave logic questions that were more difficult than the first.

Interview Questions

• Find all the possible ways to win a game of Tic Tac Toe (3x3). Find an algorithm to find all the possible ways to win a game of Tic Tac Toe (nxm)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

Was asked to attend an in-house interview the next day. Third round, in-house interview with two R&D specialists. Asked why the role and what I would like to do. Then several C++ and algorithm questions. I did poorly on one of these questions.. Later they also asked things relevant to my major(not a CS major) which I answered pretty well. At the end of the interview, I was asked to stay in the room. Thought the I passed and was expecting for the next rounds. Yet the recruiting contact person showed up and lead me out of the building.... Thought I did well on most of the questions though.

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg? How did you hear about us?   Answer Question
    • What challenges do you foresee working as a technical support representative over the phone?   Answer Question
    • What is your current compensation at your current position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

Submitted resumé and cover letter online and got an e-mail a week later asking to take an online assessment. The online assessment focused mostly on clerical skills, spatial reasoning, logic questions, simple math questions, and one or two questions involving algorithm flow charts.

After taking the online assessment, I received an e-mail a week later asking for a phone interview. The phone interviewer was very cordial and patient, and asked a lot about why I wanted to work in finance, why Bloomberg, and quizzed me on my programming experience. Specifically, she wanted to know what languages I used, examples of projects I worked on, the size of the codebases I worked on, what operating systems I've used, and my knowledge of data structures. The interview ended with a math problem-solving exercise.

Four days after the interview, I received an e-mail inviting me to an on-site interview. The Bloomberg main office building is very, very impressive, with stellar facilities and modernist architecture. Security was pretty tight. After making arrangements at the reception desk, I was invited up to interview, and my host escorted me to a glass office next to what looked like a sales area. Bloomberg screens were everywhere, and the displays all around were quite impressive. Bloomberg has an internal PowerPoint slide-style public address system called Arcade that projected onto one of the walls of the sales area adjacent to my interview room. The Arcade announcements said a lot about the company culture: there were announcements for volunteer events, arts events, fire drills, Bloomberg terminal software features, photos of views outside various Bloomberg offices worldwide, and even a really cool spot about how Bloomberg supports Movember! There was also a free snack bar outside the glass office where I interviewed. I really felt sold on the company, and everyone I talked to up to that point was quite helpful.

The first interview I had during my day-long on-site interview was by a team of three software developers. After some basic behavioral questions on my programming experience, why I learned various languages, and why Bloomberg, I was asked to solve some programming problems. The interviewers were very patient, cheerful, and helpful, and told me that I could answer the questions in pseudocode if I liked. First, I was to talk through the problem and how I would solve it, and then I was to write down a program that solved the problem they posed. After solving the programming problems they asked, I was asked a few other short programming-related questions, and then this team wrapped up their interview.

After a short break, a second team of two software developers interviewed me. This team seemed to be more senior, and asked me questions like, "What does Bloomberg do?", "Why finance?", and "Why Bloomberg?" Then, they asked programming questions related to my background in engineering, and wrapped up with another programming problem.

After they left, I waited a short while again, before a person from HR came in and interviewed me. This portion of the interview focused mostly on my education and job history, and focused intensely on why I was applying to finance positions after getting an education in engineering. The questioning during this portion was probably the toughest part of the interview because the interviewer seemed to want to know how much I wanted to work for Bloomberg. Questions included things like, "When did you decide to give up on a career in science?," which, I think, was trying to gauge how much I'd prefer a career in an area where I did all of my training over a career at Bloomberg. At the end of that portion of the interview, I was told that this round would be the last round, and that I would be notified of a decision the subsequent week (and I was).

Interview Questions

• When did you give up on a career in science?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

Applied online, recruiter contacted me in 2 days. 1 hour phone interview was quickly scheduled. Interviewers were nice. Asked detailed C++ questions, and were friendly and helpful when I got stuck on some item. That particular group expected pretty low level C/C++ knowledge, still looking to confirm if all areas are like that.

Interview Questions

• Detailed design and coding considerations if you implement your own generic smart pointer class.   Answer Question
    • How to avoid having instances of your class created on the stack   2 Answers
    • Detailed steps required to call a legacy C function somebody else wrote from your new C++ code.   Answer Question