Bloomberg L.P. Graduate Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Graduate Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Bloomberg L.P.

2.9

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2018.

Interview

Went to a Hackathon, met Bloomberg people. I was impressed by their culture. So I applied and got an interview.

I miserably failed the phone screen coding interview. Question was easy and I had a good idea. I just couldn't make it to work properly somehow. I probably won't be invited onsite.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied through on campus career fair. After 1 week, I had a technical interview on campus.
    There was only one staff. (I heard that there should be 2 people. ) The interview was 1 hour interview.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2018.

Interview

I applied online. Two days later I got an email to schedule a phone interview.
    Phone Interview
    The interviewer was on time and quite friendly. He asked my a few questions about my interest in the company and why I thought I was a good fit. We then went through 3 fairly simple technical questions.

1. There are two streams of integers that should be captured and stored in the order they come in. Implement a way to retrieve the n most recent integers stored.

This was fairly simple to implement using a Linked List.

2. Given a binary tree, return the left-most node of each level in the tree.

I used an altered implementation of Depth-First-Search where you keep track of the current depth and stored left-most values in an array.

3. Implement a dynamic internet browser history system (keeping only 5 items up).

Here I panicked a bit and started doing an LRU cache, but managed to iron out the overkill, ending up with a custom implementation of a fixed-size Linked List.

We then concluded with questions I had for him. My questions we about the culture in the company, his team's duties and any philanthropic work he's been involved in during his time there. This interview took about 50 minutes.

After a very long delay, I was invited to interview on-site at their Headquarters in New York. Bear in mind that I applied for a position in London, but interviewed with the NY folks.

On-Site Interview
    This part of the interview was split into 4 rounds. Each round had the same structure. We began with a short discussion about my interest in the company, my background and projects. Depending on the interview, we did technical or HR-related questions after that and then concluded with any questions I had. Each interview was 1 hour.

Technical Rounds (1 + 2)
    1. Given a marathon route with markers that track runners' progress as they cross them, implement a system to keep track of the leaderboard.

I used an array of Linked Lists, one for each marker, as well as a HashTable to move runners around the markers. The interviewers helped make this as optimal as possible. We discussed trade-offs using Binary Search Trees instead of the lists.

FOLLOW UP: Implement a notification system that pushes a notification every time a specified runner, the three runners behind them or the three runners in front of them change their position in the leaderboard.

Okay this was pretty hard because I didn't know which part of the problem they wanted me to solve. I got stuck but I eventually figured out. Used an ArrayList of lambda expressions that pushed the notifications, triggering all of them in sequence when a runner crossed a marker. Even though they had to help me through it, they seemed pleased with my response.

2. Given a gym space on a grid, where spaces can be open, blocked or representing a gym equipment being used, we're looking to work out at the equipment on cell A, then use a yoga mat, then go to the equipment on cell B. Find the optimal place for the yoga mat.

This was a pretty weird question. I initially suggested Dynamic Programming. The interviewer said that was cool but we could solve it in a more elegant way. After a discussion about the way search algorithms work, I implemented a two-way Breadth-First-Search from both points, and returned the first point of contact. The interviewer seemed pleased with the response.

3. Implement the classic game Snake.

This was a fun one. I used a Linked List to store the snake, having O(1) operations for each of the interviewer's requirements from the start. He seemed very pleased with this answer. We had a great discussion about special cases and debugging the game to account for different use cases.

HR Interviews (3 + 4)

The first was a friendly session of HR questions about leadership, teamwork, cultural fit. It seemed that the interviewer was trying to make sure I was a good cultural fit. Make sure to practice behavioral questions for this round and know the company + your own stuff.

The second interview was with a Senior Manager in the Engineering department. It was more about my specific interests in teams, my career prospects with Bloomberg and the different paths I can take if I work there. This was the time to let all that industry knowledge shine.

Overall a great experience. Very well-organized, extremely friendly, knowledgeable and professional.

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Firstly the application form has to be filled which took around two weeks for them to get back. Once the application is selected, invites you for a technical telephone interview on C++. Once you complete the telephone interview successfully, you will be invited for the AC.

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

After they reviewed my application which I had submitted two weeks ago, I was invited to a telephone interview.

The interview started with my knowledge about Bloomberg. And the interviewer would like to know why I am interested to the software engineer position. Then I was asked to describe a project in Java and a project in C#.

After that, we entered the technical test phase. I chose Python as my language. He asked me to do some operations on given strings. After that, there were some basic questions on Python language.

The interviewer is quite nice and helpful. I really like him. I made a few mistakes in the coding, but he gave a lot of hints and he was even more patient than me. (I was so nervous when the output was not what I want.)

Now I am waiting for their response.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Bloomberg?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work as a software engineer at Bloomberg?   Answer Question
    • Describe a project that you made.   Answer Question
    • What features have you written in Java?   Answer Question
    • Compute the longest group of characters in a given string. (e.g. Given "aabbbaabaa", the output should be b3, as "bbb" is the longest substring consisting of the same character in the string.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Application
    Telephone Interview, standard programming questions
    Interview with two developers, programming problems, written code in Java
    Interview with senior developer, more programming problems and questions on past experience
    Skype call with HR, normal HR questions, why Bloomberg, how I heard about the job etc.

All people were very friendly and helpful. A good process but did keep me waiting for quite a while to hear back after the Skype call.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult. How to verify a string made from "{[()]}" is syntactically correct. With each open bracket being closed before any preceding brackets.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in November 2018.

Interview

Applied around September/October.

I got a response a couple of weeks later about scheduling a technical phone interview, using a shared coding window.

The interview went well and I completed both questions with a lot of time left over. In the initial question I originally did not use the best Time Complexity solution, but after this was pointed out I quickly rectified the issue.

I got a rejection a few days later, with no explanation as to why. The lack of understanding why I received a rejection is what results in this being a negative experience.

I am used to not receiving feedback with rejections, but in this scenario the technical interview did not seem to went poorly.

Interview Questions

• Checking coordinates in a matrix for values style question   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Had a phone interview after a few days. 1 hour long, booked a time on their website. Technical side of the interview is done on a hackerank shared code editor.

Interviewer was helpful but at times seemed impatient and was difficult to understand over the phone at times.

Heard back two days later with boilerplate response telling me that they would not be progressing me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in November 2018.

Interview

Interviewer was very patient and polite, I had a connection problem, tried to switch to camera but couldn't so we continued on phone. The interview question was very easy but I did not prepare for theory based questions (how hashing and collision work, heaps and hashsets), don't forget those when preparing for yours.

Interview Questions

• Why Bloombery?

Create a class and functions which allow you to add and retrieve (latest first) urls.   1 Answer

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2019.

Interview

Phone interview, including a technical coding challenge. He asked me a couple questions first then went to the coding website, the question was simple enough, but I messed it up..