Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 14, 2017
4,166 Interview Reviews

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Extremely smooth interview process.

Start off with the application on their website. It was smooth and only a resume submission. After that I was emailed by Bloomberg to set up a phone interview which I did. The recruiter also shared a Hackerrank link for the interview. (if you are unfamiliar with Hackerrank I definitely recommend practicing on their website)

Phone Screen (2 hrs):
    The interviewer called perfectly on time and was extremely nice. After testing the connection of the hackerrank session he asked about my experience which I had prepared and I described the tasks that I had worked on in my internships. Then he asked "Why Bloomberg". Definitely prepare a series of points for that as this is crucial to your interview. After that it was technical. Questions:
    - Given a set of arbitrary float numbers in an SQL table select only the ones that are exactly 4 decimal places
    - Remove arbitrary spaces from a sentence:
    eg: "The sky is blue " --> "The sky is blue"
    - Reverse an integer:
    eg: 3421 --> 1243

I was then contacted within two days to schedule an interview onsite. The HR department is extremely efficient. They scheduled and paid for flights and hotel and they compensate you with a gift card as well.

Onsite Interview (4 rounds):
    The onsite interview begins with the tour of the building. Its an amazing office. The tour ends in a room with the first set of interviewers who find you in the group of people and take you to your interview room where you will be for the rest of the day.

Round 1 (2 hrs):
    2-on-1 interview. Interviewers are very very helpful. I feel like a struggled at times but they were encouraging and basically test you to your limit.
    First I was asked in great detail about my internship. Definitely prepare your background from your resume. They are extremely knowledgable and will delve into great details about past projects.
    The technical question was to design a stack with O(1) lookup for minimum element in the stack. They first make you optimize your design till they are satisfied and then you have to write code for push, pop.

Round 2 (2 hrs):
    Again 2-on-1 interview. These interviewers were probably the ones who were supposed to be harsh. "Why Bloomberg". Be prepared! Then they asked about database management systems. Why is is better to have that over just creating text files? But he was never satisfied with my answer but I kept trying to resolve his questions without giving up. I think that is crucial. Then I was asked to design an address book which you can use to:
    a) Get the the info of a person from the name
    b) Get the info of a person from a number

Numbers are unique but names are not. They will ask you to heavily optimize your design (most optimal design: use hash tables with key as the the name or number and value as a pointer to the location of info with binary trees to handle collisions)

At this point I noticed people being escorted out. So basically if you don't pass your first two rounds then they walk you out of the building. If not then you have an HR and managerial interview.

Round 3 (45 mins):
    An HR lady will interview you. At this point you've basically passed and they're just checking a personality fit for the job. This interview was mostly just HR related. Finding out status of visa etc. Expected salary? Where else have you applied? Do you have an offer? etc etc. Keep the answers to those to a minimum. Do not mention more than 1 or 2 companies.

Round 4 (1 hr):
    Managerial interview was by far the most relaxed interview of all. It was basically just a conversation while delving into details about the past projects. I was also asked why I chose my internship and where I applied AND where I got accepted (that was definitely a little unexpected). We discussed my goals at Bloomberg and also extra curricular activities that I would like to get involved in. When were out of time she thanked me and walked with me till the entrance of the building.

I was contacted within 3 days of the onsite interview with an offer over the phone. The official offer letter was sent by email a few days later.

P.S. The interview process took around 40 days for me because I could not make it for the recommended onsite interview date for personal reasons and had to schedule for a later date.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Had to record myself interviewing and was called in for a super day where I interviewed with 2 managers. Have a 3rd interviewing coming up. Overall great company but interview was very disorganized and hr seems quite confused.

Interview Questions

• Why Sales and what makes you a good Sales person?
      Why are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Business Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skillman, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Skillman, NJ).

Interview

First, you are put in a room with other interviewees and are given an article. Then, you all need to debate opposite sides during that session. Second, you are given a process flow chart and are asked to describe what can be fixed. Third, you have 1 v 1 interview with an individual. Last, you are given a project which consists of utilizing the Bloomberg terminal and Excel.

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I was scheduled for a 15 minute chat with the recruiter. She called a few minutes late and dove right into why I applied. There was no opportunity for me to ask any questions or learn more about the position. She was very stern and to the point. The role I applied for is exactly what I am doing at their competitor. I think the interview was extremely rushed from the start and the interviewer didn't allow me the opportunity to build a repertoire with her. She seemed to know a few key words about the role but the actual execution of the role were lost on her.

Interview Questions

• The interview consisted of three questions. Why Bloomberg? What experience do you have that relates to the job? Why are you looking to leave?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst and Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

I had a recorded video interview and now have gotten invited to do a 15 min phone call. I haven’t gotten an offer yet but will keep this updated.

Interview Questions

• Name a recent finance article you’ve read and how it could affect Bloomberg clients.   Answer Question

Software Engineer() Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview. Interviewer was late but the interview went well. I was then asked a day later to come to an on-site interview. The recruiter scheduled my interview a month away.

Two weeks before the interview, I received an email from my recruiter saying that all the positions have been filled. I responded to make sure that my interview was cancelled. She responded saying that she would get back to me. A week before the scheduled interview date, I emailed her again about the on-site, and then she said that I was all set for the interview (good thing i asked).

A day before my on-site, my friend who applied received an email saying that the intern program was full (very annoying for me). I went to the on-site and everything was great. Interviews went very well and the office was beautiful. The reimbursement does not cover all of the expenses. Received a rejection the next week. I didn't find it too surprising because their program was full (before they interviewed everybody). Wasn't a fan of the HR.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

On campus interview after career fair , two tech interview round, each last for one hour, start with resume review, two coding problem and about 5-10 min time for questions to interviewers

Interview Questions

• finding the peak value in strictly increasing then decreasing sequence   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Interview

applied online. got an on-campus interview that lasted for 30 minute on site interview. had 2 interviews. one of them was nice and helpful. didn't get an offer in the end

Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online. Got call from HR a couple of weeks later. First round HR phone interview. Second round panel interviews with hiring manager and the team. Third round: presentation to the team and management.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Got selected for pre recorded interview. The pre record interview was 6 questions you have to answer each question in about 90 seconds so I hope this prepare you these were the exact questions

Interview Questions

• None of the questions up here was on the pre recorded interview also when I respond with an email to the recruiter can I do a phone Interview the recruiter was pushy. However these was the questions Please give aa brief history about yourself? What do you know about Bloomberg products and services? What is your understanding of the role and why are you interested in this particular role ? Bloomberg is known for its platinum customer service. Please provide an example of a time when you provided exceptional customer service. Describe the situation, the steps you took, and the outcome. Based on you research, which 1 or 2 aspects of the job you think is best suited to your skill set and why? Give an example of when you encountered an unhappy customer in a work context. Describe the issue and how you dealt with it.
      REMINDER while recording you only have about 90 seconds and it says you have two attempts with each question but after you record one time it will say zero attempts so don't mess up   Answer Question