Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 16, 2018
4,209 Interview Reviews

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Extremely smooth interview process.

Start off with the application on their website. It was smooth and only a resume submission. After that I was emailed by Bloomberg to set up a phone interview which I did. The recruiter also shared a Hackerrank link for the interview. (if you are unfamiliar with Hackerrank I definitely recommend practicing on their website)

Phone Screen (2 hrs):
    The interviewer called perfectly on time and was extremely nice. After testing the connection of the hackerrank session he asked about my experience which I had prepared and I described the tasks that I had worked on in my internships. Then he asked "Why Bloomberg". Definitely prepare a series of points for that as this is crucial to your interview. After that it was technical. Questions:
    - Given a set of arbitrary float numbers in an SQL table select only the ones that are exactly 4 decimal places
    - Remove arbitrary spaces from a sentence:
    eg: "The sky is blue " --> "The sky is blue"
    - Reverse an integer:
    eg: 3421 --> 1243

I was then contacted within two days to schedule an interview onsite. The HR department is extremely efficient. They scheduled and paid for flights and hotel and they compensate you with a gift card as well.

Onsite Interview (4 rounds):
    The onsite interview begins with the tour of the building. Its an amazing office. The tour ends in a room with the first set of interviewers who find you in the group of people and take you to your interview room where you will be for the rest of the day.

Round 1 (2 hrs):
    2-on-1 interview. Interviewers are very very helpful. I feel like a struggled at times but they were encouraging and basically test you to your limit.
    First I was asked in great detail about my internship. Definitely prepare your background from your resume. They are extremely knowledgable and will delve into great details about past projects.
    The technical question was to design a stack with O(1) lookup for minimum element in the stack. They first make you optimize your design till they are satisfied and then you have to write code for push, pop.

Round 2 (2 hrs):
    Again 2-on-1 interview. These interviewers were probably the ones who were supposed to be harsh. "Why Bloomberg". Be prepared! Then they asked about database management systems. Why is is better to have that over just creating text files? But he was never satisfied with my answer but I kept trying to resolve his questions without giving up. I think that is crucial. Then I was asked to design an address book which you can use to:
    a) Get the the info of a person from the name
    b) Get the info of a person from a number

Numbers are unique but names are not. They will ask you to heavily optimize your design (most optimal design: use hash tables with key as the the name or number and value as a pointer to the location of info with binary trees to handle collisions)

At this point I noticed people being escorted out. So basically if you don't pass your first two rounds then they walk you out of the building. If not then you have an HR and managerial interview.

Round 3 (45 mins):
    An HR lady will interview you. At this point you've basically passed and they're just checking a personality fit for the job. This interview was mostly just HR related. Finding out status of visa etc. Expected salary? Where else have you applied? Do you have an offer? etc etc. Keep the answers to those to a minimum. Do not mention more than 1 or 2 companies.

Round 4 (1 hr):
    Managerial interview was by far the most relaxed interview of all. It was basically just a conversation while delving into details about the past projects. I was also asked why I chose my internship and where I applied AND where I got accepted (that was definitely a little unexpected). We discussed my goals at Bloomberg and also extra curricular activities that I would like to get involved in. When were out of time she thanked me and walked with me till the entrance of the building.

I was contacted within 3 days of the onsite interview with an offer over the phone. The official offer letter was sent by email a few days later.

P.S. The interview process took around 40 days for me because I could not make it for the recommended onsite interview date for personal reasons and had to schedule for a later date.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Interview process was very efficient. HR was very easy to work with and they did not try to trick you like many other companies did. I thought the process went very smoothly, although there were many steps to the process.

Interview Questions

• What is a news story you are following and why would customers of Bloomberg be interested?   Answer Question

Financial Product Analytics and Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

Overall not a bad process. Started with sending your resume, then a video screening which asked very basic questions. They then ask to do a phone interview where you talk to one of the recruiters, basically answering the same questions that they asked in the video screening, such as what is happening in the markets and why bloomberg.

The final round is a superday at the NYC office. It is relatively not stressful, you start with a group assignment using the terminal and present it to recruiters, then you have two individual interviews with one employee from Analytics team and the other from Sales. Analytics was very basic, just trying to get to know you and your ambitions. Sales on the other hand was a tad bit more stressful. The each sales employee looked miserable to be there and didn't seem interested in what you had to say. They ask you to sell them something, but make it 10x harder when they don't give you anything physical to sell. You have to be creative, but even then its hard to sell something that isn't right in front of you with specific features to point out.

Overall, wasn't a bad process, just wish they were more clear with what they expected from the interviewee than just why they wanted bloomberg.

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg?   1 Answer
    • What is a story in the world you are following?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Firstly I introduced two projects in my resume, no very detailed questions about the projects.
    Then I was asked about one coding problem with 2 followups. For the coding problems, the idea is more important than the code. For the last followup, I only partial finished the code.

Interview Questions

• Given a undirected graph, and a start node and end node of the graph, print all paths from start node(including the paths not ending in end node).
      If circles exists in the graph, note which paths from start node contains circles.
      Design a algorithm to delete the paths not ending in end node or the paths contain circles.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I was scheduled for a 15 minute chat with the recruiter. She called a few minutes late and dove right into why I applied. There was no opportunity for me to ask any questions or learn more about the position. She was very stern and to the point. The role I applied for is exactly what I am doing at their competitor. I think the interview was extremely rushed from the start and the interviewer didn't allow me the opportunity to build a repertoire with her. She seemed to know a few key words about the role but the actual execution of the role were lost on her.

Interview Questions

• The interview consisted of three questions. Why Bloomberg? What experience do you have that relates to the job? Why are you looking to leave?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Had to record myself interviewing and was called in for a super day where I interviewed with 2 managers. Have a 3rd interviewing coming up. Overall great company but interview was very disorganized and hr seems quite confused.

Interview Questions

• Why Sales and what makes you a good Sales person?
      Why are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Business Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skillman, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Skillman, NJ).

Interview

First, you are put in a room with other interviewees and are given an article. Then, you all need to debate opposite sides during that session. Second, you are given a process flow chart and are asked to describe what can be fixed. Third, you have 1 v 1 interview with an individual. Last, you are given a project which consists of utilizing the Bloomberg terminal and Excel.

Software Engineer() Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview. Interviewer was late but the interview went well. I was then asked a day later to come to an on-site interview. The recruiter scheduled my interview a month away.

Two weeks before the interview, I received an email from my recruiter saying that all the positions have been filled. I responded to make sure that my interview was cancelled. She responded saying that she would get back to me. A week before the scheduled interview date, I emailed her again about the on-site, and then she said that I was all set for the interview (good thing i asked).

A day before my on-site, my friend who applied received an email saying that the intern program was full (very annoying for me). I went to the on-site and everything was great. Interviews went very well and the office was beautiful. The reimbursement does not cover all of the expenses. Received a rejection the next week. I didn't find it too surprising because their program was full (before they interviewed everybody). Wasn't a fan of the HR.

Financial Analyst and Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

I had a recorded video interview and now have gotten invited to do a 15 min phone call. I haven’t gotten an offer yet but will keep this updated.

Interview Questions

• Name a recent finance article you’ve read and how it could affect Bloomberg clients.   Answer Question

Financial Product Analysis and Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

I sent in the application and heard back about 3 weeks later for a video interview; in which they just had you send in a video of you answering about 5 questions. Then I was called for a phone interview 2 weeks later. Then I got the Super Day the same night of my phone interview. The Super day was about 3 hours of 2 one on one interviews, a tour, a Q&A session, and a group activity.