Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3,870 Interview Reviews

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Extremely smooth interview process.

Start off with the application on their website. It was smooth and only a resume submission. After that I was emailed by Bloomberg to set up a phone interview which I did. The recruiter also shared a Hackerrank link for the interview. (if you are unfamiliar with Hackerrank I definitely recommend practicing on their website)

Phone Screen (2 hrs):
    The interviewer called perfectly on time and was extremely nice. After testing the connection of the hackerrank session he asked about my experience which I had prepared and I described the tasks that I had worked on in my internships. Then he asked "Why Bloomberg". Definitely prepare a series of points for that as this is crucial to your interview. After that it was technical. Questions:
    - Given a set of arbitrary float numbers in an SQL table select only the ones that are exactly 4 decimal places
    - Remove arbitrary spaces from a sentence:
    eg: "The sky is blue " --> "The sky is blue"
    - Reverse an integer:
    eg: 3421 --> 1243

I was then contacted within two days to schedule an interview onsite. The HR department is extremely efficient. They scheduled and paid for flights and hotel and they compensate you with a gift card as well.

Onsite Interview (4 rounds):
    The onsite interview begins with the tour of the building. Its an amazing office. The tour ends in a room with the first set of interviewers who find you in the group of people and take you to your interview room where you will be for the rest of the day.

Round 1 (2 hrs):
    2-on-1 interview. Interviewers are very very helpful. I feel like a struggled at times but they were encouraging and basically test you to your limit.
    First I was asked in great detail about my internship. Definitely prepare your background from your resume. They are extremely knowledgable and will delve into great details about past projects.
    The technical question was to design a stack with O(1) lookup for minimum element in the stack. They first make you optimize your design till they are satisfied and then you have to write code for push, pop.

Round 2 (2 hrs):
    Again 2-on-1 interview. These interviewers were probably the ones who were supposed to be harsh. "Why Bloomberg". Be prepared! Then they asked about database management systems. Why is is better to have that over just creating text files? But he was never satisfied with my answer but I kept trying to resolve his questions without giving up. I think that is crucial. Then I was asked to design an address book which you can use to:
    a) Get the the info of a person from the name
    b) Get the info of a person from a number

Numbers are unique but names are not. They will ask you to heavily optimize your design (most optimal design: use hash tables with key as the the name or number and value as a pointer to the location of info with binary trees to handle collisions)

At this point I noticed people being escorted out. So basically if you don't pass your first two rounds then they walk you out of the building. If not then you have an HR and managerial interview.

Round 3 (45 mins):
    An HR lady will interview you. At this point you've basically passed and they're just checking a personality fit for the job. This interview was mostly just HR related. Finding out status of visa etc. Expected salary? Where else have you applied? Do you have an offer? etc etc. Keep the answers to those to a minimum. Do not mention more than 1 or 2 companies.

Round 4 (1 hr):
    Managerial interview was by far the most relaxed interview of all. It was basically just a conversation while delving into details about the past projects. I was also asked why I chose my internship and where I applied AND where I got accepted (that was definitely a little unexpected). We discussed my goals at Bloomberg and also extra curricular activities that I would like to get involved in. When were out of time she thanked me and walked with me till the entrance of the building.

I was contacted within 3 days of the onsite interview with an offer over the phone. The official offer letter was sent by email a few days later.

P.S. The interview process took around 40 days for me because I could not make it for the recommended onsite interview date for personal reasons and had to schedule for a later date.

Financial Products and Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

Was invited for Super Day interview, interview process was straightforward with two 30 minute interviews with Analytics and Sales leaders. The difficulty of the interviews are fairly average concerning your experience and your fit with Bloomberg. If successful you will be notified of another follow up phone interview with HR.

Interview Questions

• 1. Sell me something 2. If you had to work anywhere else, what company would it be, etc   Answer Question

Global Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied on Saturday. I received an email on Monday to set up a phone interview. I had the phone interview on Wednesday. The recruiter asked a lot of random questions. Duration 10 minutes.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

Email exchange to schedule a telephonic round. I needed a laptop to code in hackerrank.
    There was a guy called Alex, who worked in MARS team. Explained me that it was not a quant or Maths related role.

Interview Questions

• Q1 - Opened an incomplete piece of code on Hackerrank. Some classes and functions were written incompletely - Shape, Square, Circle, Line.
      It involved concepts of virtual function, pointers, polymorphism, deleting an object when its scope ends, etc. Basic stuff.   1 Answer
    • Given a vector of integer elements. Remove the duplicates. Do not change the order of elements.   1 Answer

Global Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online and two weeks later I received an email inviting me to a telephone interview. I replied the same day and the same day I received a confirmation to do a telephone interview the next day. Once I had the phone interview, I received another email the next day inviting me to a face-to-face interview in one of their Manhattan offices. The interview lasted one hour and a half. I was first interviewed by two team leaders for 30 minutes, and the I shadowed for another 30 minutes and finally, I interviewed again for another 30 minutes with two other team leaders. I am still waiting to hear from them.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between good customer service and excellent customer service.?   Answer Question

Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Overland Park, KS) in July 2017.

Interview

applied online, several days later HR department contacted me and wanted to have an interview with me. It was an online interview, roughly around 20 minutes and I had three days to complete.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to apply for this job?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied via recruiter.
    Two hackerrank codepair rounds, and called for in person. It was scheduled for 2 hours, but extended to whole day. they bought nice lunch in a restuarant, but got grilled during lunch
    Questions were mixed between Java and C++. Pretty much all interviewers did that, except one.

Interview Questions

• 1) Graph traversal : find all the path from one node to another
      2) How do you find which way heap and stack are growing
      3) Design question about aggregated service
      4) Class hierarchy of a microwave
      5) HR questions   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online and got through a video interview. The video interview was 5 questions which we had two tries each to answer. Questions, such as, what are you following in the markets, and why Bloomberg. The phone screen had very similar questions.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied on their website. Within a week I was contacted and scheduled for a phone call with a recruiter. No call was made. Contacted them to reschedule, was given an available time slot. Confirmed the time and was told it's not an available slot. After pointing out it's a time they gave me, they magically reopened it. Got a call from recruiter and we spoke about the role and I was told there's a perfect spot for me. A week of radio silence I inquired about any interviews, and I was told I was emailed a rejection email. I checked my junk mail, trash, nothing. When I inquired for a copy of the email I was told their "system was stuck" and they apologized. They called to confirm that they don't want to move forward anymore.

Interview Questions

• None. They are so disorganized that they can't keep track of time slots they suggested themselves an hour earlier.   1 Answer

Strategy Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

Discriminated against me because of my North African background, an utterly disgusting Hr practice and an utterly disgusting occurrence of rampant nepotism. Don't say you're hiring diverse and qualified candidates when people like us get rejection.