Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 20, 2018
4,403 Interview Reviews

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Extremely smooth interview process.

Start off with the application on their website. It was smooth and only a resume submission. After that I was emailed by Bloomberg to set up a phone interview which I did. The recruiter also shared a Hackerrank link for the interview. (if you are unfamiliar with Hackerrank I definitely recommend practicing on their website)

Phone Screen (2 hrs):
    The interviewer called perfectly on time and was extremely nice. After testing the connection of the hackerrank session he asked about my experience which I had prepared and I described the tasks that I had worked on in my internships. Then he asked "Why Bloomberg". Definitely prepare a series of points for that as this is crucial to your interview. After that it was technical. Questions:
    - Given a set of arbitrary float numbers in an SQL table select only the ones that are exactly 4 decimal places
    - Remove arbitrary spaces from a sentence:
    eg: "The sky is blue " --> "The sky is blue"
    - Reverse an integer:
    eg: 3421 --> 1243

I was then contacted within two days to schedule an interview onsite. The HR department is extremely efficient. They scheduled and paid for flights and hotel and they compensate you with a gift card as well.

Onsite Interview (4 rounds):
    The onsite interview begins with the tour of the building. Its an amazing office. The tour ends in a room with the first set of interviewers who find you in the group of people and take you to your interview room where you will be for the rest of the day.

Round 1 (2 hrs):
    2-on-1 interview. Interviewers are very very helpful. I feel like a struggled at times but they were encouraging and basically test you to your limit.
    First I was asked in great detail about my internship. Definitely prepare your background from your resume. They are extremely knowledgable and will delve into great details about past projects.
    The technical question was to design a stack with O(1) lookup for minimum element in the stack. They first make you optimize your design till they are satisfied and then you have to write code for push, pop.

Round 2 (2 hrs):
    Again 2-on-1 interview. These interviewers were probably the ones who were supposed to be harsh. "Why Bloomberg". Be prepared! Then they asked about database management systems. Why is is better to have that over just creating text files? But he was never satisfied with my answer but I kept trying to resolve his questions without giving up. I think that is crucial. Then I was asked to design an address book which you can use to:
    a) Get the the info of a person from the name
    b) Get the info of a person from a number

Numbers are unique but names are not. They will ask you to heavily optimize your design (most optimal design: use hash tables with key as the the name or number and value as a pointer to the location of info with binary trees to handle collisions)

At this point I noticed people being escorted out. So basically if you don't pass your first two rounds then they walk you out of the building. If not then you have an HR and managerial interview.

Round 3 (45 mins):
    An HR lady will interview you. At this point you've basically passed and they're just checking a personality fit for the job. This interview was mostly just HR related. Finding out status of visa etc. Expected salary? Where else have you applied? Do you have an offer? etc etc. Keep the answers to those to a minimum. Do not mention more than 1 or 2 companies.

Round 4 (1 hr):
    Managerial interview was by far the most relaxed interview of all. It was basically just a conversation while delving into details about the past projects. I was also asked why I chose my internship and where I applied AND where I got accepted (that was definitely a little unexpected). We discussed my goals at Bloomberg and also extra curricular activities that I would like to get involved in. When were out of time she thanked me and walked with me till the entrance of the building.

I was contacted within 3 days of the onsite interview with an offer over the phone. The official offer letter was sent by email a few days later.

P.S. The interview process took around 40 days for me because I could not make it for the recommended onsite interview date for personal reasons and had to schedule for a later date.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied online, contacted in a week then scheduled tech phone interview.
    It was a typical tech phone interview. Discussed background and skills, then coding questions.

I was continuously interrupted during the coding part. I understand the interviewer was trying to help, but it made it more difficult to finish my thoughts and write code.

M&A Market Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

It is a phone call interview, using half english and half chinese since I applied for the Shanghai quarter. It lasted around 15 minutes. Overall is not hard. But I received rejection after two days with no reasons stated.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2018.

Interview

Was reached out by a recruiting company regarding an opening with Bloomberg. Since it was through a recruiting company they were able to pass my resume to the team and then decided on a Date/Time for a phone screen interview.

I personally felt they interviewer was very rude and arrogant. More than once, he tried cut me and was not ready to hear what I had to say. Twice I wanted to take a different approach and he said not to do that. I get it that he might be wanting to check my coding skills. After I coded he got back to me saying that, earlier you were discussing something about HashMap. Now you can describe it.

I knew I was not going to pass this within 15 minutes because he was not ready to listen to an explanation. IMO, An algorithm can be implemented with multiple time complexities. The end goal is to optimize it to the best possible time complexity. When I tried to explain the interviewer was not ready to listen what I was trying to say. Why I choose one data structure over another.

Interview lasted for around 50 minutes. In the last 3 minutes, he asked that if I had any questions for him. I asked a few about the team and work he does. He mentioned that he owned a part of the code. I guess, arrogance come with position and money.

The only reason I call this interviewing process to be negative is the way the interviewer behaved. IMO, there is no need to pull ranks on interviewees. In an interview, it is the interviewee who should share his ideas and describe successfully why he chose that solution or not. If the interviewer cannot put the interviewee at easy, then it is OK, but at least don't raise your voice.

P. S. There are multiple websites where candidates discuss interview questions. I checked. My answers were to the point. I also described the solution and time complexity (twice), but the interviewer kept telling me I was wrong and assume that it is what he says.

Interview Questions

• Basically the question was to display browser history in reverse order.
      So if the order of website is bloomberg.com, bbc.com, cnn.com, bbc.com, then the display order should be:

bbc.com, cnn.com, bloomberg.com   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Took roughly two months between the first video interview, the analyst interview, super day and final interview. Easy process overall and doesn’t feel like traditional interview process. Stand out in the debate section and don’t mess up the logistics test or the process improvement section.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Other than typical interview questions like introducing yourself, why leave current company, why relocate, the HR also asked what industry will you prefer to invest, which is surprising. No question about finance or data.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

4 rounds of on-campus interview. First 2 rounds are technical questions, 3rd one is with a HR and the last one is with a senior manager. Interviewers are very easy to talk with and the interview is fun.

Interview Questions

• Minimum Number of Platforms Required for a Railway/Bus Station   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

I first applied through the campus career fair. I then got a technical interview scheduled for a Saturday, and upon finishing that interview, I was immediately scheduled for another round of technical interview the next day. After a week or so, I received an invitation for the final on-site interview at their NY headquarters, all expenses including flights and a night at a hotel paid. The on-site interview was with an HR and then their manager. I got a call a week later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• It was about real world applications of ranking stock prices and stuff.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Average the questions were basic algorithm concepts. But the interviewer wasn't coherent in his description of the problem and the way he wanted it solved. Knowledge of basic data structures and algorithms would suffice to get through initial rounds

Global Data - Market Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied online. Pre-recorded interview. Questions about data and understanding of Bloomberg. Generally quick turnaround and good interview experience.

Interview Questions

• What is the most interesting dataset you worked with? What significant results did you gain from there?   Answer Question