Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

3,748 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Extremely smooth interview process.

Start off with the application on their website. It was smooth and only a resume submission. After that I was emailed by Bloomberg to set up a phone interview which I did. The recruiter also shared a Hackerrank link for the interview. (if you are unfamiliar with Hackerrank I definitely recommend practicing on their website)

Phone Screen (2 hrs):
    The interviewer called perfectly on time and was extremely nice. After testing the connection of the hackerrank session he asked about my experience which I had prepared and I described the tasks that I had worked on in my internships. Then he asked "Why Bloomberg". Definitely prepare a series of points for that as this is crucial to your interview. After that it was technical. Questions:
    - Given a set of arbitrary float numbers in an SQL table select only the ones that are exactly 4 decimal places
    - Remove arbitrary spaces from a sentence:
    eg: "The sky is blue " --> "The sky is blue"
    - Reverse an integer:
    eg: 3421 --> 1243

I was then contacted within two days to schedule an interview onsite. The HR department is extremely efficient. They scheduled and paid for flights and hotel and they compensate you with a gift card as well.

Onsite Interview (4 rounds):
    The onsite interview begins with the tour of the building. Its an amazing office. The tour ends in a room with the first set of interviewers who find you in the group of people and take you to your interview room where you will be for the rest of the day.

Round 1 (2 hrs):
    2-on-1 interview. Interviewers are very very helpful. I feel like a struggled at times but they were encouraging and basically test you to your limit.
    First I was asked in great detail about my internship. Definitely prepare your background from your resume. They are extremely knowledgable and will delve into great details about past projects.
    The technical question was to design a stack with O(1) lookup for minimum element in the stack. They first make you optimize your design till they are satisfied and then you have to write code for push, pop.

Round 2 (2 hrs):
    Again 2-on-1 interview. These interviewers were probably the ones who were supposed to be harsh. "Why Bloomberg". Be prepared! Then they asked about database management systems. Why is is better to have that over just creating text files? But he was never satisfied with my answer but I kept trying to resolve his questions without giving up. I think that is crucial. Then I was asked to design an address book which you can use to:
    a) Get the the info of a person from the name
    b) Get the info of a person from a number

Numbers are unique but names are not. They will ask you to heavily optimize your design (most optimal design: use hash tables with key as the the name or number and value as a pointer to the location of info with binary trees to handle collisions)

At this point I noticed people being escorted out. So basically if you don't pass your first two rounds then they walk you out of the building. If not then you have an HR and managerial interview.

Round 3 (45 mins):
    An HR lady will interview you. At this point you've basically passed and they're just checking a personality fit for the job. This interview was mostly just HR related. Finding out status of visa etc. Expected salary? Where else have you applied? Do you have an offer? etc etc. Keep the answers to those to a minimum. Do not mention more than 1 or 2 companies.

Round 4 (1 hr):
    Managerial interview was by far the most relaxed interview of all. It was basically just a conversation while delving into details about the past projects. I was also asked why I chose my internship and where I applied AND where I got accepted (that was definitely a little unexpected). We discussed my goals at Bloomberg and also extra curricular activities that I would like to get involved in. When were out of time she thanked me and walked with me till the entrance of the building.

I was contacted within 3 days of the onsite interview with an offer over the phone. The official offer letter was sent by email a few days later.

P.S. The interview process took around 40 days for me because I could not make it for the recommended onsite interview date for personal reasons and had to schedule for a later date.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online and got through a video interview. The video interview was 5 questions which we had two tries each to answer. Questions, such as, what are you following in the markets, and why Bloomberg. The phone screen had very similar questions.

Global Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied on Saturday. I received an email on Monday to set up a phone interview. I had the phone interview on Wednesday. The recruiter asked a lot of random questions. Duration 10 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experiences with Customer Service.   Answer Question
    • Why do you like to work for us?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an irate customer. How did you solve it?   Answer Question
    • What is the Customer Service value at Bloomberg?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

A recruiter got in touch with me shortly after online application (around 2 weeks). First step scheduled for the following week, technical interview on HackerRankX. The interviewer was very nice and (seemed) happy with my solutions, as I was getting positive feedback along the way. I got cut off and they didn't provide any feedback. Disappointing.

Interview Questions

• Build a data structure to store and retrieve stock values of a given company.   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

The lack of professionalism was laughable. A recruiter contacted me via email asking to set up a time to interview next week. I promptly replied with times and requested a confirmation email. Receiving no response, I contacted the recruiter on the day she initially scheduled the potential interview. She still didn't respond. I called her office line and received an email almost immediately asking if I can speak tomorrow. I replied with times and still didn't hear back.

A few weeks later the same recruiter sent me an out of the blue email asking if I possibly had time to speak tomorrow. I responded and once again she ghosted. I was dumbfounded that this employee was screening for candidates with customer service skills.

Interview

First round self-video interview: answer 3-4 role and company related questions
    Second round phone call: 30 to 45 minutes interview about role and your interests
    Third round video conference: 1 hour interview with managers, two role plays

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

This was another stupid Hackerrank test to see how many cracking the coding interview challenges you can solve in 45 minutes. The tests have nothing to do with what anyone does on a day to day basis. The interviewer seemed totally checked out. A humiliating waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Problem that required parsing input into a hash table and then sorting it.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Very long process. Interviewers weren't very nice.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2017.

Interview

Referred by a friend. A recruiter contacted me and set up a screen interview on hackerrank. This is a 45min interview, starting with why Bloomberg, and why do you change from academia to industry. Then asked me two algorithm questions.

Interview Questions

• 1. return the maximum product of 3 numbers in an array
      2. print out the pairs of a number and the nearest greater number to its right in an array. Example: given [1,2,5,2,6], print out (1,2), (2,5), (5,6), (2,6)
      3 Answers

Global Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online and shortly after I received an email to schedule a phone interview. After a couple of days I received another email to schedule another phone interview to test language proficiency. Another couple of days passed and I was invited for an in house interview.